Camera Recommendations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

Camera Recommendations

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:30 am

I have been using a couple Primos 35 trail cameras and I am sick of it. I really want to start utilizing more cameras on public but these things constantly fail me. What are guys using that can be locked up on public? I have kicked around the idea of biting the bullet and buying a couple Reconyx but its a $900 for two. Everyone raves about them and say its the best money spent. I just want to be able to lock up a camera and have it take a *)&^:<( $% photo. What are you guys using and what works?

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Camera Recommendations

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 am

I have two of the Hunten brand trail cams. They are the 3 MP versions, I think retailing for about $80 or $90. However, I got them both on sale for $50 each at Scheels after Christmas last year. I have had zero complaints about them. They have a respectable trigger speed, have IR for nighttime, and great camo. I use a chain and padlock for them, and if they get stolen, it's only $50. I can certainly recommend them for this type of use, although I haven't tried many other cams.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:38 am

IMO the Covert cameras are tough to beat. Tom "Monster Raxx" sells them he is a member here.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am

I use Bushnell trail cameras are really like them a lot. I've purchased the last three years models and haven't had a problem at all. Some of the IR night pics aren't as bright as some other cameras if the deer isn't centered but I rarely have false triggers and get really good pics. I just purchased the new Bushnell HD Trophy cam off ebay for $160 bucks and really like it so far. IR pics are really bright. Ebay usually has some really good deals, just be sure to get them from authorized dealers and not someone selling one or two. If they have sold 10 or more, they are most likely a reputable dealer.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:12 pm

So what model truth 35 do you have? I see they have a new "ultra" series and is tiny. I have noticed the $79 truth 35 at walmart and actually decided to buy one this weekend. Maybe I got lucky when I went in and they were sold out?
I dont have much experience with commercial cams, I have a couple home brews.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I would never pay 900 bucks for 2 cameras! Do you need the most perfect, beautiful pics in the world??Heck no imo...You can't kill the picture! You just need a general idea of what's out there. Padlocked or not I couldn't sleep at night with two 500 dollar cams on public land. That's like leaving 2 LW sets sitting out overnight. Keep experimenting with reasonably priced cameras. You can get a lemon from any manufacturer...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I've been using covert cams all season and love them. I have yet to change any batteries in anyone of my cameras. Some of them have well over 10,000 pics with full bars. I have three of the covert red 40's and the picture quality is outstanding, trigger and battery life are amazing as well. Best customer service I have ever dealt with as well. They have a few different cams depending on your budget. The cheapest I've found the cams was at grabagun.com. They have the red40 for 155, the mp6 is also a great little cam for a bit cheaper. here's a few pics fromt the red 40, beautiful night and day pics.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Covert are one of the best for the money. Having said that I have been using a spypoint tiny d and have had nothing but great luck with it. It sells for around $200.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Covert. I have 5 reveals and 5 black60s. Great picture quality, trigger speed, and battery life.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:10 pm

I have 2 DLC Covert CA 3.0 and love them. I spent less than $200 total for both of them. They take awesome pics and battery life is great.

As far as locking them up on public I use a Python cable through the loop on top. Not extremely secure but if somebody wants your camera they will get it no matter how secure you have it.

Here are a few samples from one of my cams........

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Casper wrote:Covert. I have 5 reveals and 5 black60s. Great picture quality, trigger speed, and battery life.

You need counciling :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 am

Truth Cam 35 sucks!!! I have one and I almost wish it would break so I could throw it away. Night pics are not real good. I have deer constantly spooking because of the red flash and clunk noise it makes when snaping a pic. Think Im going to get a Covert also!
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am

I use the cuddeback attack IR's. I like them because they are pretty simple to set up, they take a photo and 30 second video (if you want), great battery life, good picture quality and they have a nice security box. I run a python cable through the back two holes in the security box then then screw it to the tree. But like Dewey said "If someone wants your camera they will get it"
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am

I have 2 of the Covert 3.0's I believe I got them for about $90 total a piece, including shipping off the internet. Fast trigger speed, small and easy to hide camera. Best camera I've ever used in my life. Any other cameras that cheap are going to have horrible trigger speed.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Casper wrote:Covert. I have 5 reveals and 5 black60s. Great picture quality, trigger speed, and battery life.

You need counciling :mrgreen:

My girlfriend tells me that all the time :lol:
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”