Lack of confidence main reason for failure?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JJWI

Lack of confidence main reason for failure?

Unread postby JJWI » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:38 am

With hunting season right around the corner and everyone getting excited about the deer they plan on hunting, it seems like the closer it comes to hunting that animal, the more leary people are about getting in were they need to be and killing that animal. It is like they want to be sure of the exact spot were that animal is, so they don't screw up and spook that animal out of there hunting area. So they put out trail cameras on trails they want to hunt, or areas they want to hunt to see if that animal is using those areas. When in reality, they are doing more harm that good by doing that. I feel like they are tipping these bucks off by doing this. By not having confidence in their scouting and reading of the information they have at hand, they are hurting their chances at harvesting that animal. I think that what sets the successful hunter apart from the others, they read the sign, believe in themselves, and go in and get the job done. Any thoughts?

Zap

Re: Lack of confidence main reason for failure?

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:46 am

I believe that there are a few folks that use trail cams without altering deer movement but alot do not know how to/care to do that.

Its hard to kill a big buck unless one is around....unless you have alot of time to hunt/scout some intel is good to have.

I would agree that someone who can go to a new spot and get on deer is doing better than the average joe.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 am

Agree to a point...

I like to run the cameras aggressively up until the year I plan to hunt said animal. Than I back off some... deer are like humans in that they have tendencies. You can learn lots by running trail cams in and around core bedding areas. If done year to year by the time a buck is mature you can almost predict the few spots he is killable out of...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:56 am

Last edited by Crazinamatese on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 am

This is not directed at you or anyone here per say

I dont like the way people elude to deer becoming nocturnal from hunting pressure. Deer are nocturnal by nature, all one needs to do is look at their eyes. When you combine some of the wild summer like falls we have had lately that makes them even more nocturnal. Put on a wool coat in summer then run down the block, tell me how you feel. Hunting pressure doesnt help but its certainly not the magic talisman of why deer stop moving in daylight hours come fall. Ever notice how when the rut is kickn if its 70 degrees you wont see a deer all day but turn that dial down into the teens and its off to the races.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 am

I would not say lack of confidence is the "main" reason hunters fail, but its one of the top ones for sure... Poor set ups, and over hunting spots are probably the top reasons.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 am

I guess what I am trying to say is something that I see with people I know and have been reading lately on these forums, and it usually starts around this time every year. A nice buck, or bucks show up on a property. Keep in mind, these people have hunted these areas and know them pretty well. Instead of reading the available sign around them or observing from a distance, they blanket the area with cameras. If they get a target deer on film, then they move them to the trails where the deer move to the fields on to see which trail they are on. Or they know where he is don't want to get to close to mess it up. So they hunt off the sign or too far out. The outcome is usually the same, that buck that was showing up on a regular basis, is now coming out later or not at all now. It seems like these people would have a better chance if they had the confidence to say, here he is, this is how he is using this terrain, this is where I got to be!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 am

JJWI wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is something that I see with people I know and have been reading lately on these forums, and it usually starts around this time every year. A nice buck, or bucks show up on a property. Keep in mind, these people have hunted these areas and know them pretty well. Instead of reading the available sign around them or observing from a distance, they blanket the area with cameras. If they get a target deer on film, then they move them to the trails where the deer move to the fields on to see which trail they are on. Or they know where he is don't want to get to close to mess it up. So they hunt off the sign or too far out. The outcome is usually the same, that buck that was showing up on a regular basis, is now coming out later or not at all now. It seems like these people would have a better chance if they had the confidence to say, here he is, this is how he is using this terrain, this is where I got to be!

agree
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:50 am

jlh42581 wrote:This is not directed at you or anyone here per say

I dont like the way people elude to deer becoming nocturnal from hunting pressure. Deer are nocturnal by nature, all one needs to do is look at their eyes. When you combine some of the wild summer like falls we have had lately that makes them even more nocturnal. Put on a wool coat in summer then run down the block, tell me how you feel. Hunting pressure doesnt help but its certainly not the magic talisman of why deer stop moving in daylight hours come fall. Ever notice how when the rut is kickn if its 70 degrees you wont see a deer all day but turn that dial down into the teens and its off to the races.

I do agree with what you are saying. BUT when a mature animal has been going to feed all late spring and summer, and doesn't encounter human scent from his bed to feed for a couple of months, then all within a month he starts smelling people at different locations on their route, they do catch on. It may not make them nocturnal, but it does start putting them on alert.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:03 am

Some people have no patience they want to see what is on the camera and they want to see it the next day. Big difference in checking a camera 15 times apposed to once.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 am

Stanley wrote:[glow=red]Some people have no patience they want see what is on the camera and they want to see it the next d[/glow]ay. Big difference in checking a camera 15 times apposed to once.

sounds like my friend...he checks his every other day :? i told him but he just does what he wants...

i check mine every two weeks.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 am

I think a lot of hunters just do what they see on TV. They dont think for themselves enough to see they are tipping off deer when they use cameras. It all works on TV! But the reality is you need to be more careful. I plan to use more observation stands this year

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 am

Oh yea, lack of confidence, I think if you dont have enough confidence and experience it can make a hunter less persistant because he doesnt have the encounters he thinks he should. Then he reverts back to gimmicks and TV tacticts which are mostly rut centered.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 am

confidence is a often a deal breaker. overthinking the situation instead of believeing in ur setup. notice though on the tv hunts , there trailcams are on field edges and they are hunting field edges mostly.not as much damage done imo. but i dont hunt that way. im surely putting trailcams on crop edges but im not hunting field edges . although i do have a field edge that starts to drop off quickly and a few steps into the woods often means deer running down the hill---tricky spot. anyway scent is the biggest reason for failure imo, at leas t when it comes to killing mature deer. bad entry/exit
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 am

I think lack of confidence stems from lack of experience. If you know what you are doing, and you know your set up is golden, thats all you need. Nothing is guaranteed, but your chances increase. Another thing is attitude. For me, I do not force myself to go hunt. I think some hunters push themselves too hard during the season. They get a little bummed out after sitting in the woods for the whole week and not seeing anything. Im kinda bi-polar during the season. There are days I don't care to hunt, so I will stay home. Even if the conditions are perfect. Then there are days I feel think I have a solid chance to go in and kill a deer. And sometimes I am successful. It all depends on my attitude.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”