Deploying an observation stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trdtnlbwhntr

Deploying an observation stand

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 am

Because of the situation I am in with properties and sharing access with others, I dont have the luxury of running a bunch of trail cams to determine exactly what a buck is doing. I believe he is bedding off the property then using the buffer strips to maneuver shortly after dark. I feel like there is no way to gather more information with alerting others to the fact that I am on to something. So how many of you guys would hang an observation stand way back off where he is showing up on cam and hunt that the first week or so of season and try to get a read on this particular buck. Then as the details start to fall in place making a more aggressive move.

What do you guys think? Or do I just go with a "hunch" and make the move. And so we are all clear, this is not your average 3.5/4.5 year old deer. This is a booner for sure no doubts about it.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deploying an observation stand

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:45 am

I would sit an observation stand if I was not relatively sure of where the buck was moving...

So how many of you guys would hang an observation stand way back off where he is showing up on cam and hunt that the first week or so of season and try to get a read on this particular buck.

Why wait till season? No law against sitting in a tree with binoculars that I no of...
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:14 am

Dan, I have been sitting in my truck at the entrance of the farm about 150 yards from where I hung that stand. There is a doe and fawn that has checked me out a couple of times and last night she blew at me over and over again. So being in my truck I was able to just drive away without showing any resemblance of a "human" This is strictly an ag farm with almost zero timber on it. I feel like the deer are less alerted to trucks than they would be to a guy walking out of the only tree on the place. I want to be sure and not get caught in that tree if he uses the land bridge at any given time. Id be absolutely beside myself he walked under me before season started.
Like rubber room/straight jacket beside myself.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:Dan, I have been sitting in my truck at the entrance of the farm about 150 yards from where I hung that stand. There is a doe and fawn that has checked me out a couple of times and last night she blew at me over and over again. So being in my truck I was able to just drive away without showing any resemblance of a "human" This is strictly an ag farm with almost zero timber on it. I feel like the deer are less alerted to trucks than they would be to a guy walking out of the only tree on the place. I want to be sure and not get caught in that tree if he uses the land bridge at any given time. Id be absolutely beside myself he walked under me before season started.
Like rubber room/straight jacket beside myself.

Well if you can't get in there now to sit an observation stand, same is likely true during season. It sounds like you want to sit back so you don't spook the buck, rather than to get intel. 1ST strike is always the best. if you can't observe from a distance go for broke your first sit.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 pm

dan wrote:Well if you can't get in there now to sit an observation stand, same is likely true during season. It sounds like you want to sit back so you don't spook the buck, rather than to get intel. 1ST strike is always the best. if you can't observe from a distance go for broke your first sit.

Loving this idea.....i have collected way to many eggs and go hungry saving them rather than making omlettes...good call Dan(as always)
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I would do my best to keep tabs of where and what he is doing. It's hard or next to impossible to hunch kill a mature buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 am

It sounds like your observation stand is your place were you plan on hunting? If you are sure he is bedding off the property or on another location that he can't see your ambush point, I would walk these buffer strips and find his tracks were he is crossing and set up at that time. It has to be a hang and hunt situation. With out seeing the lay of the land and the surrounding areas, it is hard to say what to do. But if he a mature buck, and is out in that field in day light hours on a daily basis. I am going to have to say, he is monitoring that field or the access point from some vantage point. Most of the deer I have chased in farm country have always had a vantage point were they could watch or smell what was in that field they were using, especially if it was one they were using in daylight hours. But if you know he is there and using those strips, find his tracks coming out and set up. I know you want this buck to remain hidden, but more often that not, more people know about this deer than you think. I am will to bet other people on other properties have pictures of him and are getting stands and cameras out to figure out were the perfect spot to kill him is. With everyone prepping stand sites and putting cameras out on trails, they are really tipping him off on whats going on. So if you know where he is at during shooting hours, strike while the iron is hot, the sign doesn't lie, gather info, form a plan, get in there and get the job done! Good luck
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:37 am

JJWI wrote:It sounds like your observation stand is your place were you plan on hunting? If you are sure he is bedding off the property or on another location that he can't see your ambush point, I would walk these buffer strips and find his tracks were he is crossing and set up at that time. It has to be a hang and hunt situation. With out seeing the lay of the land and the surrounding areas, it is hard to say what to do. But if he a mature buck, and is out in that field in day light hours on a daily basis. I am going to have to say, he is monitoring that field or the access point from some vantage point. Most of the deer I have chased in farm country have always had a vantage point were they could watch or smell what was in that field they were using, especially if it was one they were using in daylight hours. But if you know he is there and using those strips, find his tracks coming out and set up. I know you want this buck to remain hidden, but more often that not, more people know about this deer than you think. I am will to bet other people on other properties have pictures of him and are getting stands and cameras out to figure out were the perfect spot to kill him is. With everyone prepping stand sites and putting cameras out on trails, they are really tipping him off on whats going on. So if you know where he is at during shooting hours, strike while the iron is hot, the sign doesn't lie, gather info, form a plan, get in there and get the job done! Good luck

Spot on!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”