Jumping Buck Beds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muskieman

Jumping Buck Beds...

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm

So was having a conversation with a buddy tonight and we were talking about this technique during gun season. We figures that we would stand hunt morning and nights and mid day identify a half dozen beds or so and sneak up on them and try killing the buck that is using them. This is a large piece of public land with the area we would be hunting and jumping swamp grass with scattered trees so it would allow for a shot at a deer that jumped. Anyone ever use this technique? I honestly am pumped and think this would produce a buck mid week that was bedded....

headgear
500 Club

Re: Jumping Buck Beds...

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

No reason it can't work. However you might have better luck if you know the area/beds well you can have one guy bump the bed and another wait on his espace route. It might make for easier shooting. I have also seen bucks on drives almost belly crawl out the side so don't be surprised if they duck and cover vs run/jump and you end up with no good shooting opportunities.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm

This is what deer drives do. Bump and shoot. Works great for the gunners.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:54 pm

A lot of huge bucks get killed around here during the gun or muzzleloader season when the marshes are frozen over by jumping bucks from their beds in the cattails.

I cringe every year the ice is thick enough because so many nice bucks get taken out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm

I have killed some of my best gun bucks by sneaking up on them in known bedding areas... It can be deadly.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 pm

headgear wrote:No reason it can't work. However you might have better luck if you know the area/beds well you can have one guy bump the bed and another wait on his espace route.

We call this a 2 man nudge, and can be very effective if done properly. But is specific to 1 buck that is bedded.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 pm

Stanley wrote:This is what deer drives do. Bump and shoot. Works great for the gunners.

If you think you know the escape route post another hunter a few hundred yards down the trail - you never know someone might get lucky!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 am

Now there is a subject title that got me to click. I love this style hunting. My only problem is when they are running it is so hard to get a good look.

I mostly creep thickets not specific beds (still not very good at spending my whole year finding all these big buck beds) and I usually shoot what jumps up, so if you are out for the big horns, you might want to spend your whole year finding all the giant beds for this first.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:46 am

I do it also for scouting purposes on land public land I usually dont hunt any other time of the year.
You can't kill em on the couch
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:12 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:This is what deer drives do. Bump and shoot. Works great for the gunners.

If you think you know the escape route post another hunter a few hundred yards down the trail - you never know someone might get lucky!

Every inch of of timber in Iowa gets raked through by the orange army. They will get 20 + guys together and push and post. They knock down some real good ones every year doing this.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 am

Stanley wrote: Every inch of of timber in Iowa gets raked through by the orange army. They will get 20 + guys together and push and post. They knock down some real good ones every year doing this.

This pretty much happens in every state, just be happy your rifle/shotgun season isn't during the peak of the rut.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:58 am

headgear wrote:
Stanley wrote: Every inch of of timber in Iowa gets raked through by the orange army. They will get 20 + guys together and push and post. They knock down some real good ones every year doing this.

This pretty much happens in every state, just be happy your rifle/shotgun season isn't during the peak of the rut.

Exactly.
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 am

Stanley wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:

Every inch of of timber in Iowa gets raked through by the orange army. They will get 20 + guys together and push and post. They knock down some real good ones every year doing this.

Thats why those over looked spots are so good... If you can find something the drivers miss, like a little patch of brush out in the open or a corner near the road, this is often where I find the oldest bucks.
I really doubt they drive "every inch"... If they did they would kill everything.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”