King buck WILL be rescored by Boone and Crockett !!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: King buck WILL be rescored by Boone and Crockett !!!

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Scoring typical antlers seems to be complete garbage.

It looks to me more like judging figure skating, than measuring the time to travel 100 m.

Why don't they just use the gross score and let hunters, and antler geeks etc. choose their favorites based on visual appeal.

Between this story and the rompola fiasco, isn't the entire notion of world records based on antler development completely flawed.

I am really liking the focus of the members here. Get a big mature buck. Antler size almost seems like a secondary consideration. I really like the slob concept.

Having arrived to deer hunting from a sport fishing background where records are based upon measured weights of specimen, (and not the proportion of head to body length for example), it seems completely strange to be first determining if one part of the animal is symmetrical enough to fall into a certain category and then proceed to reduce its score based on theoretical perfection. Perfection of course is entirely dependent on the eye of the beholder.

Just a newbies perspective. It's hard for me to understand all of the drama surrounding the king and rompola bucks, given the subjective basis of the methods of measuring net antler scores. Even experts disagree with the meadure of antler length.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: .

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:Scoring typical antlers seems to be complete garbage.

It looks to me more like judging figure skating, than measuring the time to travel 100 m.

Why don't they just use the gross score and let hunters, and antler geeks etc. choose their favorites based on visual appeal.

Between this story and the rompola fiasco, isn't the entire notion of world records based on antler development completely flawed.

I am really liking the focus of the members here. Get a big mature buck. Antler size almost seems like a secondary consideration. I really like the slob concept.

Having arrived to deer hunting from a sport fishing background where records are based upon measured weights of specimen, (and not the proportion of head to body length for example), it seems completely strange to be first determining if one part of the animal is symmetrical enough to fall into a certain category and then proceed to reduce its score based on theoretical perfection. Perfection of course is entirely dependent on the eye of the beholder.

Just a newbies perspective. It's hard for me to understand all of the drama surrounding the king and rompola bucks, given the subjective basis of the methods of measuring net antler scores. Even experts disagree with the meadure of antler length.

:clap:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:46 am

Well said Dhurtubise! 8-)
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 am

Dhurtubise wrote:Scoring typical antlers seems to be complete garbage.

Great post. If we are going to measure antlers for the one upmanship award why not do it by total volume. Take the antlers, submerge them in water and caluclate the volume of liquid those antlers diaplace in cubic inches. The most bone wins. No mention of typical, nontypical, symmetry etc...just measure what they grow. This still has nothing to do with age class and difficulty to hunt but if we "need" to measure it's an option.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”