Hunting parallel field trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hunting parallel field trails

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:11 pm

kwaldeier wrote:I have 2 questions. 1. Does it matter how far away doe bedding is from the field edge? I can think of a spot with it being 200 yards and the other 100. In both situations will the parallel trail be 50 to 70 yards off the field edge?
2. If the wind is parallel to the trail instead of perpendicular, there should be 0 activity correct?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree with Bucky, It does not matter how far the does are bedding from the open field.
I also agree with Bucky if the wind is parallel with the buck trails, buck movement will still happen. One thing to remember not all bucks will travel parallel with the fields. If a buck gets a sniff of a doe close to estrous he will track that doe with his nose. Stand placement is wind oriented and needs to give you the best chance for the wind that day. Another thing to remember smaller bucks tend to use more obvious trails. Bigger bucks not so much. That is why it is imperative to set up in the thick and not on the field edge.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bblefty

Re: Hunting parallel field trails

Unread postby bblefty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 am

dan wrote:There is a lot more to parallel trails than just field edges... They are something I discovered early on and have had good luck with. I heard my "ex-partners" did an attempt to steal that tactic in there new DVD... And we figured they would when they refused to give me footage of a hunt where I missed a monster buck in Iowa years ago hunting parralel trails. I still have the bow cam footage though... I have no idea whether they portrayed the tactic correctly, I doubt it, but don't know cause I refuse to watch there DVD.
Parallel trails are only used during the rut. They are for checking doe hang outs with out entering them. They are usually very faint trails because they only get used during the pre-rut. You generally find them 50 to 75 yards from the edge of bedding or a food source where does hang. Its not really wind dependent like some think... The cross the trails the does use to enter the area and smell each trail to see if a hot doe has passed by. They usually mark the cross trails with rubs and scrapes.
This often confuses new hunters cause the cross trail is so faint its hard to notice sometimes and the doe trail is well established, so the hunter often thinks the rub is on the doe trail and that the buck is using that trail. Th give away is usually if you go over to the next doe trail there will be another rub or scrape... I will detail this tactic a little better in the next DVD we are releasing.

I really wish I had known you wouldn't be in the farm bucks DVD. I waited the whole time for dan to show up. haha. Definitely a different type of dvd.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”