Eastern whitetail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Eastern whitetail?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am

A friend from the east sent me a picture of a whitetail buck. I noticed the muzzle was all dark grey with no white on it like the Midwest bucks I'm used to seeing. Is this typical of Eastern whitetails? He asked me not to post any pictures of the buck. So I can't post pictures. Looks like the buck could push 200 inch typical, hence the secrecy.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Eastern whitetail?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 am

Must be the picture, or a unique deer. They typically look the same to me.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 am

In the mountains here they are much more gray than in the ag lands.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:49 am

Im in MD and we get deer with black on there face, or white. Ive been told its from the different strains they brought here years ago... but I have no clue. The old bucks have white on there noses from what Ive seen personally.
You can't kill em on the couch
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:09 am

Brandon wrote:Im in MD and we get deer with black on there face, or white. Ive been told its from the different strains they brought here years ago... but I have no clue. The old bucks have white on there noses from what Ive seen personally.

Most of the bucks have white on the muzzle though? The buck in this picture isn't super old. I would guess 5.5
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:21 am

Stanley wrote:Most of the bucks have white on the muzzle though? The buck in this picture isn't super old. I would guess 5.5

Around here, yes.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:31 am

All of my bucks have a white ring around the muzzle. Never seen a black or gray one.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 am

GRFox wrote:All of my bucks have a white ring around the muzzle. Never seen a black or gray one.

I can't say I've ever seen a deer like this one. It does have a white patch on the neck under the head.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 am

Stanley wrote:
Brandon wrote:Im in MD and we get deer with black on there face, or white. Ive been told its from the different strains they brought here years ago... but I have no clue. The old bucks have white on there noses from what Ive seen personally.

Most of the bucks have white on the muzzle though? The buck in this picture isn't super old. I would guess 5.5

yes all 5.5 bucks would have white muzzles..
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 am

Stanley wrote:
GRFox wrote:All of my bucks have a white ring around the muzzle. Never seen a black or gray one.

I can't say I've ever seen a deer like this one. It does have a white patch on the neck under the head.

all deer have that dont they? ive shot a few, including my last buck with a doubel white "throat patch".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:40 am

also, Stanley... it is not very nice to talk about such a buck and not post a picture. I would have rather not known... :shock:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 am

Brandon wrote:also, Stanley... it is not very nice to talk about such a buck and not post a picture. I would have rather not known... :shock:

The guy was very adamant about not posting any pictures. He was reluctant to send me a picture. He used the Buckscore digital computer program and it scored a little over 200. If it were my picture I'd share it. The close to black face caught my eye right away.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:15 am

I cabbaged this picture off another hunting site. This is what the face looks like on the buck. Must be some kind of different strain of whitetail.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 am

Stanley wrote:
Brandon wrote:also, Stanley... it is not very nice to talk about such a buck and not post a picture. I would have rather not known... :shock:

The guy was very adamant about not posting any pictures. He was reluctant to send me a picture. He used the Buckscore digital computer program and it scored a little over 200. If it were my picture I'd share it. The close to black face caught my eye right away.

Can you tell us what State it was killed in? I know of a few 200 inch deer killed in NY and NJ in the last 2 seasons.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 am

I believe it may be a trailcam picture, and he said 200 TYPICAL. I can assure you none have been killed in the US recentley, much less NY or NJ. I beleive Andreas goal is a 200 Typical, MUCH more rare than a 200 NON-Typical.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”