Eastern whitetail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Eastern whitetail?

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 am

You can't kill em on the couch
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:53 am

Stanley wrote:I cabbaged this picture off another hunting site. This is what the face looks like on the buck. Must be some kind of different strain of whitetail.

Amost looks like the summer coat is trying to fall off...

My deer are not that dark.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 am

stanley, i think its just the pic because i have pics here in wisconsin that look like that in early season usually when coats are changing.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 am

brandon, where in maryland are you from , my brother moved to huntingtown last year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 pm

GRFox wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Brandon wrote:also, Stanley... it is not very nice to talk about such a buck and not post a picture. I would have rather not known... :shock:

The guy was very adamant about not posting any pictures. He was reluctant to send me a picture. He used the Buckscore digital computer program and it scored a little over 200. If it were my picture I'd share it. The close to black face caught my eye right away.

Can you tell us what State it was killed in? I know of a few 200 inch deer killed in NY and NJ in the last 2 seasons.

It's on the hoof. Trail camera picture.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:37 pm

tim wrote:stanley, i think its just the pic because i have pics here in wisconsin that look like that in early season usually when coats are changing.

That might be it. I have never gotten a picture of a buck like that though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Close but 0 white on it's face.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:50 pm

tim wrote:brandon, where in maryland are you from , my brother moved to huntingtown last year.

I now live just a couple miles north of huntingtown.

I am pretty sure I know where the deer is from Stan since I have heard you talk about it in the past, about how two buddies came out to the east (in said state) and one shot a little buck early in the week and the other held out and shot a 170. As for the colors of the faces - it totally varies from deer to deer. I can give you quite a few examples of how it varies. By the way, it is relatively common in the summertime that the deer have those black looking faces, but it is much less common in the fall and winter months. I have seen faces in all different colors, markings, etc. - that is the primary tool I use (other than antlers) to track a deer from year to year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:I cabbaged this picture off another hunting site. This is what the face looks like on the buck. Must be some kind of different strain of whitetail.

Amost looks like the summer coat is trying to fall off...

My deer are not that dark.

It may have something to do with the summer coat. I have never seen a totally black faced buck or doe. The trail camera picture was from the 4th of August.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:56 pm

moondoondude wrote:
tim wrote:brandon, where in maryland are you from , my brother moved to huntingtown last year.

I am pretty sure I know where the deer is from Stan since I have heard you talk about it in the past, about how two buddies came out to the east (in said state) and one shot a little buck early in the week and the other held out and shot a 170. As for the colors of the faces - it totally varies from deer to deer. I can give you quite a few examples of how it varies. By the way, it is relatively common in the summertime that the deer have those black looking faces, but it is much less common in the fall and winter months. I have seen faces in all different colors, markings, etc. - that is the primary tool I use (other than antlers) to track a deer from year to year.

This buck is still on the hoof as of August 4th. It's a trail camera picture.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Brandon wrote:I believe it may be a trailcam picture, and he said 200 TYPICAL. I can assure you none have been killed in the US recentley, much less NY or NJ. I beleive Andreas goal is a 200 Typical, MUCH more rare than a 200 NON-Typical.

Yes true I didn't think about the typical, aspect. Someone killed a 197" typical framed buck on the NY / NJ border this year. I know Milkweedseed has seen the pictures of that one.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 pm

Stanley wrote:
moondoondude wrote:

I was referring to the location, not the animal.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 am

moondoondude wrote:
Stanley wrote:
moondoondude wrote:

I was referring to the location, not the animal.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Understood now. The buck has changed patterns as can be expected and is off the radar right now. If the guy kills the buck he will let the pictures flow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”