Jumping a buck from his bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Jumping a buck from his bed

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 am

In Dan's Hill Country DVD, when Andrae is recounting the story about the Tuning Fork Buck, he says that he dove into that bucks bedding area to try and pinpoint the bed and he did catch a glimpse of the buck running down over the hill. My question is, when he goes to dive into a bedding area, how does he go about it so that he gets a visual on the buck??

He obviously approaches from downwind, but what else can you add?

Every time I'm in an area looking for beds especially in the spring scouting, very rarely do I get close enough to a bedded buck that I get a visual on him. He usually is long gone before I get that close.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Jumping a buck from his bed

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

I think a lot of it has to do with terrain. Where I am at, I can go into some of my bedding areas and will see the deer, and some will be gone before I get close. I believe the big one he got in the Marsh bucks video he jumped out of its bed prior to shooting it, but could not see it, and assumed it was that buck... And assumed right.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:05 pm

I jumped a bohemoth deer from a peninsula in the marsh nearly 2 yrs ago. The deer and bed were so big I assumed it was a buck, but never saw anything but a flash. I used a september rain as cover and the wind until I hit the unpenetrable part and made the noise that spooked it. I got within 20-30yds, and still didnt get a good visual as it was thick.

When I bump a big deer if it is solo, can I, or should I assume it is a buck?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:41 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I jumped a bohemoth deer from a peninsula in the marsh nearly 2 yrs ago. The deer and bed were so big I assumed it was a buck, but never saw anything but a flash. I used a september rain as cover and the wind until I hit the unpenetrable part and made the noise that spooked it. I got within 20-30yds, and still didnt get a good visual as it was thick.

I would assume it was a buck based on how you described the encounter. You might try for him this year; surely, him or another buck is using that spot.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:45 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:I jumped a bohemoth deer from a peninsula in the marsh nearly 2 yrs ago. The deer and bed were so big I assumed it was a buck, but never saw anything but a flash. I used a september rain as cover and the wind until I hit the unpenetrable part and made the noise that spooked it. I got within 20-30yds, and still didnt get a good visual as it was thick.

I would assume it was a buck based on how you described the encounter. You might try for him this year; surely, him or another buck is using that spot.

I agree, sounds like a buck and a good set to try.
You can't kill em on the couch
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 am

Funny thing is last year work took me out of state for the first two weeks of season, so when I returned the Michigan archery militia had been busy hunting my public land :cry: .

So when I got back I went in their creeping with xbow in hand and I was going to check on this deer. Anyway got partway through the marsh and on the adjacent dry land was a hunter set up in a ladder stand. I backed out and I think his continued presence blew that bed.

Then the other day I noticed mr. ladder stand, had left his stand there. So I went trapsing through the bedding/peninsula with Ellie. She was complaining the whole way (it was a tangled mess and we got a little wet) so couldn't tell if I bumped one as we went in. But there sure were good trails heading in, a good track, but this time seemed to be a few beds. Started thinking does.

I think mr. ladder stand will overhunt this spot and I may slug through their checking ;) a time or two before season to make sure the deer aren't there. But now I got to go find the new spot.

If I find the new spot is that called Stacking?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”