A what you would shoot, if you were in my situation question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

A what you would shoot, if you were in my situation question

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 am

Going into the 2012 season I was going to lower my standards a bit. I always wanted to shoot a mega buck (mature 140" and up). My biggest buck to date is only like 115", that was a 2 yr old (avatar pic). I came to the conclusion that this year I was going to set up and take out the first good buck I can (125" and up 3 or older). Well after filming and checking trail cameras I have a TON of 3 yr old deer that are on the hitlist along with a couple 4 yr old deer that look very appetizing...however just recently I set my eyes on close to 150" 4+ yr old buck and that is all I can think about now. All day its all I can think about. I keep thinking to myself if I get the opportunity do I shoot one of the smaller bucks or devote my whole season to the slob 8 point? My head is spinning in circles and I thought I would see what you guys have to think about it. I want to get some bucks under my belt, but this slob 8 is all I can think about...so let me ask you...What would you do if you were in my situation? :shifty:

bonemonger

Re: A what you would shoot, if you were in my situation ques

Unread postby bonemonger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:16 am

for me i have no size or age standards, i like to shoot a buck on a day i will remember something other than the kill. beautiful sunrise, frosty morning or just watching the buck work in. its never been about size or age for me , just the circumstances.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:26 am

I would try to get the big one but would not hesitate to take one of the smaller ones if given the opportunity. Holding out for only the biggest buck in the area takes more than just skill. It also takes a lot of time and determination. It's something very few deer hunters are able to do. In my opinion experience is the best teacher and killing bucks will make you better at killing bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

I think that is too much of a personal preference to decide which case is best for you...however

Knowing you had some 3-4 year olds around, and a 150 class.... I would probably opt to hold out for a mature buck. If the mature buck happened to be 120 inches but was 4 y/o I would be tickled.

I think my choice would be based upon the shoot opportunity given too. If I was in the tree perched and a nice 3.5 y/o was standing broadsided, within my comfort zone range, and he was deer that I would be happy taking, then my mind is made up.

Here is how I look at to shoot or not too shoot........ when the buck comes in, if I have to think should I shoot..then I dont shoot. If when I see him and I think "im shooting him" then I do my best to stick him!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

Thats a question only you can answer... Its very likely, especially with your amount of experience, ( no offense meant by that ) that if you devote your season to one buck, you may come up empty handed... However, your unlikely to kill a monster buck by shooting the 1st small one to come along... You, and only you, can decide what your willing to pass and what you should take... Passing a buck that would be your best buck to date might be a hard pill to swallow.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 am

Just remember those bucks will be a lot less visible when those antlers harden up! Especially the SLOB! You may be hard pressed to see him come season while the 120 inch bucks are more visible. Nothing wrong with a 120 inch buck!! I wouldn't hold out a 150 just yet. Get a few under your belt first...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:39 am

My personal experience:
A couple of years ago I had some slobs show up on the trailcams. I decided I had to have one of them and passed up a couple of bucks that in hindsight I kick myself about. I sat so long that season I got pressure sores, did physical damage to myself. It got to the point that it wasn't fun anymore. Vowed right then to keep it fun in the future.

Also looking back, the slobs were nocturnal for the most part. I got a pic of one during the daylight during the rut, but I would have had to be in a spot I don't typically hunt on that day.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 am

I'd be super happy to shoot a deer like in your avatar year after year. your choice, do what makes you happy.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 am

I would hunt long and hard and take the big boy. I have on a couple of occasions killed a good buck on the last day of the season. You just never know, unless your tagged out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Answer this question: If you hunt hard all season, pass on smaller bucks, and end up with no buck kill would you still enjoy your season?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm

If I were you, I would take one of the three year olds if you guys have more than one buck tag. It will give you some more experience and then you can go after the big boy. However, like everyone else has said just make a decision that leaves you happy.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Think about trying for the big boy only until the rut, then just have fun and take what tickles you. That way you're not wishing you still had atag when the action starts.
IMO
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm agree with backstraps. If you see one and aren't sure don't shoot no matter what size it is.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:12 am

Are you only allowed 1 buck a year?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

Czabs wrote:.so let me ask you...What would you do if you were in my situation? :shifty:

I would shoot the first buck that I got a chance on, but that is not necessarily what I think you should do.

I like Arrowbender's suggestion. That way you can challenge yourself and still try for something later if you want to fill a tag.

We get two tags here in MI, but if we could only get 1 I would probably try this.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”