Sleeper counties for big bucks in Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Sleeper counties for big bucks in Wisconsin

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am

any county in the lower third of the state.

I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 am

There is an area in Columbia County that I would love to be able to hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Sagittarius wrote:Waukesha ... #4 Pope & Young county in the nation. ;)

http://whitetail-outfitters.com/quality-deer-managed-lands.html

Waukesha has my vote but I guess I'm biased because I live there
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:28 pm

I agree with Kurt Fond du lac county is dropping some slobs also dodge county.Hunt waupaca county been alot of big boys shot here the last 5 plus years.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Haus86 wrote:There is an area in Columbia County that I would love to be able to hunt.

Me too! I know a really hot area in this county, I was gonna post it, but you beat me to the punch!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 pm

tim wrote:where u from blighillsbuckhunter?

Western Jackson County....thats as close as I will say. ;)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Bucky wrote:Pepid, Monroe, Dane, Iowa, Sauk, etc etc... they just need age. I would hunt any of them in an area with lighter hunting pressure or marsh/swamp/big timber to allow deer to get age on them. Age is the key....

I agree....Most of the state has all the ingredients to produce a big buck, however not many bucks get to that prime age of 5 years+.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Fond du lac, dodge and Sheboygan are all counties that I've seen some quality deer come out of over the last few years. Really though, the bottom third of the state, like was posted before is a good recommendation. I know of a 200+ buck that was shot in Washington a couple years ago.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:42 am

I'm hoping St. Croix because that's where ill be hunting. If you look at an aerial map of the state, a lot of counties along the Mississippi have that same look (pepin, pierce, etc.) I think any of those counties could be great if the deer have food and little pressure.

JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 am

The #1 top sleeper county in my opinion is Langlade county. It has a perfect mix of farmland and big woods that bucks can get the nutrition to grow and the cover to grow old. I have seen some of those bucks that came out of that area and they are impressive! You don't see many displayed publicly because they are to far from the major shows and a lot of the people that are successful up there just keep it to themselves. The wolves had taken a toll on the population up there, but by seeing some of the tracks while snowshoe hare hunting up there this year, there are still some studs running around!
The #2 sleeper county would be Marathon county. Once again, it has the same mix of big woods and farmland. And a lot of the private land is well managed for deer. This big farm across the road from my house has some giants on it. I can say for a fact they have harvested 4 bucks that gross over the 180 mark in the last 3 years, but I heard that it is more than that. But this is a big section and is monitored heavily. If they could stop people from shining it, they would! But once again, a lot of people don't care about the publicity and don't show it to anyone.
The #3 sleeper country is Portage county. More farmland, but the areas that connect to bigger timber holds some nice deer. There is a section just south of Sherry that is privately owned and just has huge deer come out of it year after year. I do know for a fact a 196" gross, 186" gross were shot out of this area during bow hunting. One family that owns around 600 acres on the east side of this section shot 4 bucks that gross over 165". That is a lot of horn coming from a 3 mile by 3 mile section. There are other people that own land in there that the only people that know what they got, are the taxidermist. And they aren't gonna talk, cause that is there regulars.
But the thing that makes them unknown is, the people don't talk about what they got. Most of the time, the only way you know what has been taken in these area is by stopping at the registering stations and looking at the pictures (if they take any) But a lot of times, they don't want any attention to themselves or where they are hunting!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 am

I agree with Langlade. I remember when the state record bow typical was shot up there in the 90's. Pretty sure Andrea was hunting that same buck. I have seen some slobs driving through the county on my way up to the northwoods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I'm hoping St. Croix because that's where ill be hunting. If you look at an aerial map of the state, a lot of counties along the Mississippi have that same look (pepin, pierce, etc.) I think any of those counties could be great if the deer have food and little pressure.

There are still good bucks in St. Croix county. I've seen and hunted them there. But Booners? I personally think there aren't many there. My Grandfather has always said those counties along the MS River will always grow big deer because of the quality of minerals in the soil from sedimentation from the river over the last million years. I kinda believe that.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am

I totally agree with the Mississippi river comment

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

Waukesha County-Just drive around the county and you'll know why. I'm south one county and I have no issues :shhh:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 am

camocat wrote:I agree with Kurt Fond du lac county is dropping some slobs also dodge county.Hunt waupaca county been alot of big boys shot here the last 5 plus years.

X2 on Waupaca!! Lost the land I hunted on there for 5 seasons. Another guy killed a 161 there a couple seasons ago. Always a Slob being registered at the local gas station...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”