Ask Andrae???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Ask Andrae???

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 pm

As stated...Thanks Dan for taking our questions to Him. And A big thanks to him for answering. Awfully cool of both of you. I am sure we all greatly appreciate it!

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 pm

dan wrote:
One word question. Bigwoods?

I know Andrea started out in the bigwoods so an insite or advice would be taken to heart. Probably a bad question to ask because it really deserves its own video but just to hear Andrea, Dan, Magic or a few others talk about bigwoods in great detail would be cool. I suspect this is for something farm related ;) but I just had to throw it out there.

Andrae said people have to get "big woods" out of there head... Don't look at the miles of woods and wonder where to start. Big woods is really lots of little woods put together and you need to pick a section and learn that section well... He went on to say that people are under the false impression that bucks up there run for miles, he said they stay in small areas just like bucks down here. He also said for some reason there seems to be more midday movement from mature bucks in north woods, and that some of the bedding seemed harder to find, but once found, it would repeat itself as long as the food sources are there that they are targeting.

Thanks Dan! I have do admit I do have a harder time finding the beds in a true remote bigwoods setting but the ones I have found do seem to be used year after year. It has also been my plan for years to know the land I hunt inside and out, I frequest 7-8 square miles in my main hunting range so that keeps me pretty busy, I have a long long way to go to learn it all but step by step year by year it will happen.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Good stuff thanks for sharing Dan.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Awesome Q/A Dan! Thanks to both of you, and I'm (along with everyone else I'm sure) excited to see the new video!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm

The video is going to take a while... Its going to be good, and its going to be right before its released. I am hoping for spring, but it may take longer. Andrae hinted that he may want his daughter to take on some of the final editing... Which would be fine with me.

Another thing, I really appreciate Andrae taking the time to get involved with us... He is getting requests from tons of websites, and major TV shows for footage and interviews and turns them all down.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:28 pm

This was a good idea and a cool read....Thanks Dan!!

Wish I had seen this in time :(

Being this deals with big woods...I would have liked to have asked; How dose Andrae get and stay, physically and mentally prepared for the season? And dose he follow a diet to help get/stay prepared? As you well know, were not getting any younger, lol.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:This was a good idea and a cool read....Thanks Dan!!

Wish I had seen this in time :(

Being this deals with big woods...I would have liked to have asked; How dose Andrae get and stay, physically and mentally prepared for the season? And dose he follow a diet to help get/stay prepared? As you well know, were not getting any younger, lol.

I do know he always watches what he eats really close... He is always lecturing me about drinking energy drinks and eating fast food. He never stops working either... When I got there he was in the fields working. Typical. Everytime I am down there he has a long list of work he is to accomplish for that day. He gets done in one day what it takes me a month.
spiker2930

Unread postby spiker2930 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Dan looking forward to more videos.
What happened to Cody ?

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:04 am

spiker2930 wrote:Thanks Dan looking forward to more videos.
What happened to Cody ?

He was in a bad car or motorcycle accident a few months ago.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 am

Great read Dan, Thanks!
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:57 am

Interesting stuff. The wind in the morning thing does have me confused. If the buck is normally approaching his bed with the wind in his face then how do you setup on him? Like the one big one he shot in Illinois on the whitetail addictions series. He jumped the buck the previous day then killed him in the morning right before the buck made it to his bed. I wonder if the buck was coming back to the bed with the wind in his face and then did not know that Andrea was there because he was high up in the tree?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 am

jonsimoneau wrote:Interesting stuff. The wind in the morning thing does have me confused. If the buck is normally approaching his bed with the wind in his face then how do you setup on him? Like the one big one he shot in Illinois on the whitetail addictions series. He jumped the buck the previous day then killed him in the morning right before the buck made it to his bed. I wonder if the buck was coming back to the bed with the wind in his face and then did not know that Andrea was there because he was high up in the tree?

Andrae and I both agree that in hill country they approach from down hill. Where our experiences conflict is in flat land. He said his success on morning hunts has been because of being set up perfect. Wind has to be "just off"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 am

spiker2930 wrote:Thanks Dan looking forward to more videos.
What happened to Cody ?

He was in a head on collision with a semi-truck on a hwy between madison and Iowa where there was cross traffic. A young girl who just got her license pulled in front of him and he swerved to miss and hit the semi. If you search there is a post on here somewhere about it that has pictures of Andraes truck after the collision.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 am

hey dan do you think bucks ever much approach there bed from top in hill country? if so under what conditions would they most likely do it? the reason i ask is i will get early morning pics of bucks in my crop fields and they are leaving the field heading towards the woods. (down a point) then at times the next evening i will get pics early as if they were on that point and they came back up and out into the fields. would u say they approach there beds from the bottom all year , in other words would time of year matter how they approach there beds. or would it mattter if crops are high or low? in my area the crops are all high..... i never lay too much stake in what heppens in the summer but i do take notice.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am

tim wrote:hey dan do you think bucks ever much approach there bed from top in hill country? if so under what conditions would they most likely do it? the reason i ask is i will get early morning pics of bucks in my crop fields and they are leaving the field heading towards the woods. (down a point) then at times the next evening i will get pics early as if they were on that point and they came back up and out into the fields. would u say they approach there beds from the bottom all year , in other words would time of year matter how they approach there beds. or would it mattter if crops are high or low? in my area the crops are all high..... i never lay too much stake in what heppens in the summer but i do take notice.

I think they occasionally do... I also think they occasionally bed on points with the wrong wind.
I did ask Andrae pretty much the same question and he said that he has seen them come from up hill, but all of the bucks he has witnessed circled and hooked up from below when they actually bedded... He also said, don't judge what whitetails do in summer as to what they do in the fall. He said its like they are two different animals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”