Pictures of Buck Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Pictures of Buck Beds

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:50 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:This buck is about 15 yards off the corn field. He beds behind the log due to the houses behind him across the creek. Wind is over the log and he watches the corn field where I would walk. This is a new propety so hopefully its a decent buck bedding there.

Excellent find man!! Good job. That's a unique bed. How high were his rubs?

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Sweet Shot 7 wrote:This buck is about 15 yards off the corn field. He beds behind the log due to the houses behind him across the creek. Wind is over the log and he watches the corn field where I would walk. This is a new propety so hopefully its a decent buck bedding there.

Excellent find man!! Good job. That's a unique bed. How high were his rubs?

Rubs were not real high. There was mainly young little trees around. No big rubs.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am

This is the first picture I've taken of a bed. I need to start taking more pictures. This is the first picture I've tryed loading on here, hope it works
brink

Unread postby brink » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 am

Trdntlbwhntr and I hunt in Indiana where there are relatively no elevation changes and no marshes. Ag fields, hardwoods and pines. Any ideas on how to find beds where it isn't nearly as noticeable as seeing marsh grass laid down like crop circles. Granted, we see some when there is snow cover and the weight and heat of the deer caused an indentation but their location is randomly (in my opinion, not theirs) situated in 50 acres of hardwoods. No ridge behind them. No grasses laid down. When there isn't snow, I'm not sure how one finds a bed in our neck of the woods.

Any advice is great. Thanks.
Whatever is Clever.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 am

brink wrote:Trdntlbwhntr and I hunt in Indiana where there are relatively no elevation changes and no marshes. Ag fields, hardwoods and pines. Any ideas on how to find beds where it isn't nearly as noticeable as seeing marsh grass laid down like crop circles. Granted, we see some when there is snow cover and the weight and heat of the deer caused an indentation but their location is randomly (in my opinion, not theirs) situated in 50 acres of hardwoods. No ridge behind them. No grasses laid down. When there isn't snow, I'm not sure how one finds a bed in our neck of the woods.

Finding the beds in flat farm land requires knowing where they typically bed... What looks flat to you, would probably not look flat to me. Elevation differences don't have to be drastic.

Concentrate on transitions (edge) and points or fingers of timber or brush and over looked spots...

I have a scouting workshop coming up in a couple of weeks if you guys are interested?
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 am

Dan, does the new farmland DVD cover most of these topics?

I have similar situations. I do know the bucks bed on neighbors property.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
1 John 2:15 - read it
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:05 am

Maple_Ridge wrote:Dan, does the new farmland DVD cover most of these topics?

I have similar situations. I do know the bucks bed on neighbors property.

Our new DVD is a long way off, it will cover farm land tactics.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks, consider one order already in.

1 John 2:15 - read it
brink

Unread postby brink » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 am

Likewise

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Whatever is Clever.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm

brink wrote:Trdntlbwhntr and I hunt in Indiana where there are relatively no elevation changes and no marshes. Ag fields, hardwoods and pines. Any ideas on how to find beds where it isn't nearly as noticeable as seeing marsh grass laid down like crop circles. Granted, we see some when there is snow cover and the weight and heat of the deer caused an indentation but their location is randomly (in my opinion, not theirs) situated in 50 acres of hardwoods. No ridge behind them. No grasses laid down. When there isn't snow, I'm not sure how one finds a bed in our neck of the woods.

Having Dan take a look is money in the bank...

Outside of that:

Thickets, drainage ditches, creeks, rivers, potholes of water, fence lines, the transition line of the pines and hardwoods, blowdown areas, single tree’s blown down, Individual pine tree’s, weed fields and swales, young regrowth adjacent to older timber… are a few of the many potential areas in your neck of the woods.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Bed I found Saturday, hill country.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

View standing in the bed.

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:38 am

This first bed is on a point of a small island. The buck can sit there on just about any wind except maybe an east wind, which is probably the least common scenario anyway. From where he lays, he can see anyone walking along the main trails across a small pond. To enter from the east you will have to walk through a small creek dammed by beavers, and then get through brush and willows that would be impossible to do quietly. There are a few trees behind it that can be used as stand sites, which I plan to use on a north or west wind. If he is spooked he can head into the cattails in any direction and he would never be seen.

This next bed is off an island as well. The only reason I found this bed was by following a rub line and then crawling under this tree. It doesn’t look like much until you get in there. He is tucked right up against the brush with cattails a few feet away. This bed still had hair under the litter from last year. Once I found the bed, it made sense to me why he was there. This bed is perfect for the buck to use on a south or west wind. He is only about 100yds from a bunch of oak trees. I haven’t figured this one out completely, but plan to visit it again this Sunday to pick a tree and make a plan to sneak in there.

Scouting like this is almost as fun as actually hunting.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 am

Read through some other threads in the scouting and land managment section. Just looking at other maps of farm land will help you get an idea of how they bed. Put some leather on the ground. Once you start finding the beds and get a feel for it, it becomes a lot easier!
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 am

Found this bed in a cedar thicket yesterday:

I also found this track leading to the bed, what do you think? Running track or big buck?

"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”