Buck entry to bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Buck entry to bed

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a solid bed Im going to hunt this year which Im really excited for. However I have a few questions about the bucks entry to the bed.

A topo would probobly help but I cant figure out how to save the map to my drive right now.

He is bedded on a ridge that runs East/West. Down below him to the north, 150 yards away is fields with corn and alfalfa. To the south is apple trees and a pond down below about 150 yards away. He is bedded on the north side of the east/west ridge that has a little hump that shoots north. I know he is bedded there on a South wind so he can have wind at his back and rising thermals from the north. He has trails that go north down to the fields and a trail that goes south to the pond. I want to sit here in the morning but am unsure what direction he would come from on a south wind?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Buck entry to bed

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:10 am

ttt
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 am

From what I've observed, it's impossible to say unless you've observed from a distance or have other intel (like pictures). Each buck is different, and approaches his bedding based on his personality, but it's usually what's in the interest of his safety that day, that hour, that minute. So I would think about if I were the buck, how would I approach my bed cautiously and in a way that gives me an advantage over predators on that S wind.

That being said, speaking in general terms, if I were coming from the N fields and a S wind was blowing early AM before the thermals rise, I would do a big loop around the bed to the N cutting E to W or W to E and then come in from the S. That way, I've scent checked my bed first, and I can smell any predator that might trail me and try to approach from the S during the day. I can keep and eye on my N during the day, and have thermals rising into my nose.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:37 am

Don't rely in thermals on the north facing slope. Especially if it is part of a ravine; meaning that there is an equal south facing slope opposit of the north facing slope. The thermals racing up the south slope, with the help of the south wind will pretty much ensure a steady south breeze DOWN you're north facing slope. We have a very similar set up, and the bucks love that north slope, but it is fickle for thermal activity because of the lack of sunshine.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:20 am

In hill country they seem to like to come to the bed from below, but sometimes will do a "j" hook... They like to be able to smell any predator that is tracking them on there bed approach...
They are not as predictable in the mornings as in the evenings, so I generally perch right over the top of the bed so no matter where he comes from I can shoot him. So for me, it would be more a matter of knowing where he won't come from rather than where he will, so that I can have an entry without him crossing my scent trail.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 am

If he comes in from down low from the north I will be fine because the only way I can get to that bed is from the South due to the North being private. Its a setup where my scent would hopefully, with the South wind push my scent up and over him. His bed is higher than the 2/3 elevation which works to my advantage being higher up. If he comes from the South he would smell my tracks walking in. Thats why I decided to ask you guys about it, just not sure wheres he coming from in the morning. Thanks for the responses.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 am

Is there any trees you can get in on that east/west ridgeline?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Is there any trees you can get in on that east/west ridgeline?

Picked out the tree long ago. The tree is 10 yards from his bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”