Bachelor group bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Bachelor group bedding

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 am

Ive noticed in the early bow season several bucks coming out in the same spot. I assume they are bedded together. I was wondering if some mature bucks tend to bed by themselves? I ask this because in the past during summer scouting and early season bow, I will see a mature buck come out by himself while the younger bucks come out in groups. Why would this be? I realize not all mature bucks do this but some sure do.

I figure the older a buck gets the more noses he would want around him to help detect danger.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Bachelor group bedding

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:49 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:

I figure the older a buck gets the more noses he would want around him to help detect danger.

Oftentimes all of those extra noses leave a lot more ground trail scent on the way to the beds as well as kick up the volume of their scent blowing downwind from the deer being together. This will many times lead to a lot more encounters with predators such as coyotes and wild dogs. The younger deer tend to bed closer to food sources on average which increases the number of encounters with predators as well. Young bucks don't seem to mind being with or around "all the noses" for protection and the deer generally escape without trouble- but this happens a lot more than a buck with a couple of years behind him wants to put up with, in my experience. A lot of times the bucks I'm after seem to want to be alone and in more remote areas which leads to a lot less disturbance overall- many times even in the early season.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

That makes sense. Thanks Singing Bridge. 8-)
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:A lot of times [glow=red]the bucks I'm after seem to want to be alone and in more remote areas[/glow] which leads to a lot less disturbance overall- many times even in the early season.

Which could explain why they are usually the last ones to enter ag fields or feeding areas in the evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”