Its hard spring scout for early season IMO

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Its hard spring scout for early season IMO

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 am

School started again for me last night meaning I get to think about deer when I get sick of the teacher. I was thinking last night about how I believe that it’s hard for a guy to scout in the spring for early season beds. When I say early season, I mean the first two weeks. I believe this because bucks in the early season take advantage of the thick foliage for bedding and a lot of this tall brush or grass that they bed in gets flattened out by the snow or new grasses that eventually overgrow the early season bed. I found a few buck beds in the early season last year and when I check them out this past spring, I could not even tell where they were. I believe that the first few weeks of the season, you have to really use your summers scouting because I believe bucks are bedding in places that change shortly after the season begins and it’s hard to locate these beds without summer or in season scouting. My point is, summer scouting is crucial to killing and early season buck. Let hear all your thoughts on this.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Its hard spring scout for early season IMO

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 am

Very much agree! The few early season beds I know get used were found through trial and error. Summer scouting doesn't work all that well in the bigwoods, glassing and shining is pretty difficult so I don't bother any more. I am content to hunt the early season beds that I know of and hunt for new early season hot spots. Between trial and error, taking a guess at bedding/food and some early season scouting I hope to build up a bunch of beds to hunt to increase my odds.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:03 am

PredatorTC wrote:School started again for me last night meaning I get to think about deer when I get sick of the teacher. I was thinking last night about how I believe that it’s hard for a guy to scout in the spring for early season beds. When I say early season, I mean the first two weeks. I believe this because bucks in the early season take advantage of the thick foliage for bedding and a lot of this tall brush or grass that they bed in gets flattened out by the snow or new grasses that eventually overgrow the early season bed. I found a few buck beds in the early season last year and when I check them out this past spring, I could not even tell where they were. I believe that the first few weeks of the season, you have to really use your summers scouting because I believe bucks are bedding in places that change shortly after the season begins and it’s hard to locate these beds without summer or in season scouting. My point is, summer scouting is crucial to killing and early season buck. Let hear all your thoughts on this.

I think there is some truth to that. The areas I target early season really revolve around food a lot more so than RUT hunting. Bucks are probably easiest to kill in Sept if you have the right land and the time to glass them. Many big guys are still on there feet during the daylight hours.

I'd be interested to hear Dan's take on the changing of a bucks bedding area from Sept to Dec. I have seen it, but I have also seen them hold tight in one main bedding area all year.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 am

I agree there is some truth to your statement... But, I also think mature bucks often still bed in the primary bedding areas on a regular basis early season. The later it gets in the season, the more they are forced into the primary bedding areas that are thick and offer security all season. A couple seasons ago I busted a target buck on my way to his bed 100 yards short of it in the grass... It happens.
Its pretty hard to determine early season "grass and brush" beds in spring/winter but sometimes you can.. Some of it has to be learned by scouting or hunting during season... The good thing is, once you learn it, it seems to repeat itself year after year.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 am

Last year, I was hunting a primary bedding area where there were several big bucks bedding. I passed the first two and the last buck out was my target buck. Of course, his vitals were blocked by a small tree so I didn't get to take the shot. I mostly hunt the main bedding spots around here, but there are some of my spots where you really have to have the observations and in season scouting to figure out what bed the buck may be bedding.
Last edited by MOBIGBUCKS on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 am

A good knowledge base and understanding of your hunting area helps. The better you know it, the better you will become. Also remember you are learning a new system and it takes time to learn and progress at any new system. Another thing, don't expect to do as good as Dan does, he is the expert. You should do as Dan says/suggests though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 am

Stanley wrote:Also remember you are learning a new system and it takes time to learn and progress at any new system.

What system?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 am

PredatorTC wrote:
Stanley wrote:Also remember you are learning a new system and it takes time to learn and progress at any new system.

What system?

Hunting mature bucks in their beds.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

PredatorTC wrote: My point is, summer scouting is crucial to killing and early season buck. Let hear all your thoughts on this.

Summer scouting in heavy pressure areas is what gets bucks- and deer in general- bedding in remote and heavy cover even at the beginning of season in many of my hunting areas. There are so many guys in the woods right now, scouting and doing stand preparation, that as far as the deer are concerned the war has already begun. Add in the last couple of weeks before season where guys are scouting, hanging stands, cutting shooting lanes, putting out bait... on and on.

Opening day of the Michigan bow season in 2009 I set up on a good buck a half mile into a deep, dark and wet swamp. There were a few humps of dry ground that deer liked to bed on and one of these areas held my target. At last light, where I was barely able to see, four does, a spike and a six filed past my tree through the muck. At full dark they were a long, long ways from dry ground despite it having good ground cover / brush with all the leaves on. My buck never made it to me before dark.

All of these deer easily could have bedded out of sight on the high ground much closer to their food sources- but the excessive human activity in the area pushed even the does and yearling bucks out. I'm not implying that not a single deer was bedded on the high ground- My point is, hunting pressure can really change things... even on opening day of bow season.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm

YOu make a very good point bridge. I was going to wait for two weeks into the season to hunt one particular bed and wait for the buck to get pushed into it but in two weeks it might be too late. Might be a good spot the first week.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

PredatorTC wrote:YOu make a very good point bridge. I was going to wait for two weeks into the season to hunt one particular bed and wait for the buck to get pushed into it but in two weeks it might be too late. Might be a good spot the first week.

I know you'll make your move when you feel its best- looking forward to seeing that buck in a pic with you. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”