What does it tell me when.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BJE80

What does it tell me when.....

Unread postby BJE80 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

What does it mean when I get 80-90% of my trailcam pictures during daylight hours? It's not in one specific spot either. It's all of my cameras on my 80 acres. The neighbor says he noticed the same thing so it’s not a fluke. Also, it's not like first light and last light. It's all throughout the day. Thoughts?

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: What does it tell me when.....

Unread postby Dor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Summer

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm

It was spring also. Like March/April. I just started hunting this property this year so can't say from past years.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 pm

On pressured land, I'm close to the bedding. On unpressured land, it's unpressured.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:28 pm

You didn't say if your pictures are mostly does or a mix? I would say you have a good population of deer on your property for one. With a lager population of deer you have deer putting deer at ease. In other words the deer are smelling other deer and thus feel safer to move around. I have mentioned this on other posts when you get a conglomerate of deer smell in and around your cameras you will get more pictures of deer. You take Sam he sets his camera out and checks it 3 days later he has human scent around his camera. He would get more pictures if the area had more deer scent around it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:06 pm

I would think that the deer are active during the day because there aren't many hunters or people for that matter putting scent on the ground and just being in the deers' habitat right now and in spring. When they know theyre being hunted or notice more intrusion, they should go back to being the hard to hunt pressured deer we all know and love. IMO

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I agree with both Dor and Stan... Summer deer are active during the day more, and on propertys with larger deer populations I see more daylight activity.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Maybe alot of things (with sharp teeth) or humans bumping the deer in the daytime. :mrgreen:
Doe with fawn also move more in the daytime.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Tells me your land has everything the deer need including enough security cover to move about freely. As fall approaches and the deer feel the pressure of human intrusion this will likely change. How much it changes is based on how secure they feel. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:08 am

I suspect your mature buck captures on cam will become more nocturnal as the summer wanes into fall. I have 95% daytime photos of mature bucks right now, but that certainly won't be the case come opening day.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 am

One great thing it verifies is tje bucks are bedding on your land and not your neighbors.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 am

THE mature bucks are a different animal once those horns harden up ;) You are obviously doing something right though because they aren't moving far from bedding this time of year. If you have one on a pattern you are in good shape for the opener :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”