Sound Information

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Sound Information

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
Stanley wrote:This is why I have always said windy days are good for the hunter.

And I want to come back to this for a moment. I agree it offers cover for our sound, but does anyone think this could affect deer movement as well.

In other words, could a windy day keep deer bedded because there hearing is essentially impaired?

I always thought it would. It seemed to me windy days would leave the deer confused. Everything is moving, noise is greater, scenting seems like it would be harder. But I'm talking windy days, not a gentle breeze. 20 mph wind here is a very windy day. I have read deer will seek more open ground / woods on high wind days. I have no idea if that is true but I do seem to have the best sightings on calm days. I have had deer get right on top of me before I knew it on windy days whereas on a calm day I can hear them coming before I can see them. I don't know why the reverse wouldn't be true and keep the buck in his bed or safe zone later.
It suprised me that there are several people here that prefer windy days for hunting.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Great topic, very interesting.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Great info 8-) Makes me wonder how much a silencer takes off the scale?
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 am

kenn1320 wrote:Lou, good topic. It has me wondering if the decible level is as important as the frequency? Ive had 2 occations where I have shot my longbow at deer with little to no reaction. The noise is more of a dull thud, then a high pitch crack, similar to the compound. Ive had compounds that my friends said they knew I got a deer, cause they heard the shot. :shock: I would guess different frequencys travel faster/further then others?

Good observations Kenn. I have no scientific proof but I would think low frequency sounds are more natural background sounds that a deer hears everyday (stick falling to the ground with a thud). A traditional bow with its much longer string moving at 200' per second will make a low frequency thud. The compound bow with its much shorter string moving 300' per second is going to make a higher pitched sharper sound.

With the compound bows super fast arrow the sharp noise probably doesn't matter much. But, I'm feeling better about lobbing slower heavy arrows with my longbow, thinking that the sound of the release isn't alarming the deer as much?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote: This could be a "perfect storm" (sorry Ed couldn't help myself).

Thats my term :lol:

Sorry, jlh. :lol:

You hear but you don't listen :shhh:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:45 am

I feel that silence while [glow=red]preparing[/glow] for the shot is much more important that the sound reduction of the shot itself. Quiet release, quiet bow (limbs, cams and rest especially), quiet stand, quiet clothing mean much more to me than string "silencers", which as you've so kindly pointed out UL, do practically nothing other than slow your shot down.

Also, I have noticed that my dog reacts much more to the sound of a bow shot than to the sound of a gun shot. Why is this?
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:44 am

KLEMZ wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Lou, good topic. It has me wondering if the decible level is as important as the frequency? Ive had 2 occations where I have shot my longbow at deer with little to no reaction. The noise is more of a dull thud, then a high pitch crack, similar to the compound. Ive had compounds that my friends said they knew I got a deer, cause they heard the shot. :shock: I would guess different frequencys travel faster/further then others?

Good observations Kenn. I have no scientific proof but I would think low frequency sounds are more natural background sounds that a deer hears everyday (stick falling to the ground with a thud). A traditional bow with its much longer string moving at 200' per second will make a low frequency thud. The compound bow with its much shorter string moving 300' per second is going to make a higher pitched sharper sound.

With the compound bows super fast arrow the sharp noise probably doesn't matter much. But, I'm feeling better about lobbing slower heavy arrows with my longbow, thinking that the sound of the release isn't alarming the deer as much?

Reread the piece this morning and wanted to hit on this study. The article I read was in an issue of Field & Stream July 2008. It covered Deer Vision, Hearing, Movement, Density, and Breeding.
On deer hearing it cited the work of Dr. Karl V. Miller and other researchers at the University of GA.

It started by saying deer hearing is quite similar to ours. On frequency it stated, " although deer hear into the ultrasonic range, their hearing is most sensitive to moderate frequencies, between 4,000 and 8,000 Hz. Humans hear best at roughly equivalent frequencies, between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz. And a deer's optimum hearing zone happens to overlap with the frequencies of human speech- levels comparable with those of many deer calls, especially grunts."

The article stated that the study only tested the inner properties, without taking into account the sound gathering capacity of the whitetails large outer ear.

Under What this means, it said the strongest frequency for virtually every grunt call was in the range of 3,000-4,000 Hz. It went on to say if your using a high-pitched call (one with a high frequency) like a fawn bleat, you probably really need to call loudly. Above that it said you need to rattle louder than you previously thought.

It ended by saying that deer are quite attuned to, and alarmed by, low-pitched sounds. The study said they can pick those up at considerable distances. The writer then said "in other words, your truck door going thunk! may well clear out the woods before you've even shouldered your pack.

Sorry if this overview of the article is a disappointment, but I think we can take some things away from it. A side bar says a deer doesn't hear much better than you but can pinpoint the source of the sounds. This kinda speaks to the comments about cupping your ears. I can hear much better when I focus and do this.

So maybe comparing our hearing to theirs and understanding theirs is a little better is what we can take away.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 am

Southern Man wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

[glow=red]Ever sound check your self walkin in dry leaves Lou? Seems like the list of stuff to check would be endless[/glow].

I couldnt take it after this comment, me and Curly crossed the lake yesterday in search of some dry leaves, and put the sound level meter to work on this walk.

Conditions: 73 degrees F, 4 PM, Mild Wind about 7mph

Background noise with birds and insects was about 30-40 dB, A close bird song or plane would spike it at ~50dB.

Walking in dry leaves was 60dB+/- (I earlier guessed ~50dB)

Walking a mowed path was 40-50dB (without trying to be quiet) and the thunks of the footsteps were very noticeable on the sound level meter.

If I tried to walk quiet and got Curly up away from me, I could stay below background.

So I would like to take this back to Spysar's initial question. How loud to spook a buck?

As I quiet walked I would wonder how far away you could be heard by a buck. Under yesterday's conditions I could probably get pretty close. Those conditions being 30-40dB of background and lots of vegetation (acoustical barriers) to absorb the sound, probably could stalk in shooting range of deer 30 yds +/-.

I also believe when those leaves fall so does your acoustical barrier. And on those cold crisp mornings with very little background noise, a little noise could carry a long ways. In other words, what you get away with in September you very likely won't get away with in Nov/Dec.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Great info 8-) Makes me wonder how much a silencer takes off the scale?

Which type of silencer are you asking about?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 am

NatureBoy wrote:I feel that silence while [glow=red]preparing[/glow] for the shot is much more important that the sound reduction of the shot itself. Quiet release, quiet bow (limbs, cams and rest especially), quiet stand, quiet clothing mean much more to me than string "silencers", which as you've so kindly pointed out UL, do practically nothing other than slow your shot down.

[glow=red]Also, I have noticed that my dog reacts much more to the sound of a bow shot than to the sound of a gun shot. Why is this?[/glow]

I don't know that I can answer that. Mine go nuts when I shoot a gun because they expect to go get a bird. One also gets excited, like with the gun, when I shoot my bow. The other two just lay there.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:You hear but you don't listen :shhh:

And Ed, ever since I went north of 40 my memory slips a bit, I think I read and didn't remember, because you can ask my wife, I am a good listener ;)
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 am

I would pay good money for one of those if it would give directions to a gobble. Also I never have bought into the idea of quieting a recurve..what I shoot..so quiet that a deer wouldn't jump the string. It's going to hear the twang no matter what you do.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 am

hoyt wrote:I would pay good money for one of those if [glow=red]it[/glow] would give directions to a gobble. Also I never have bought into the idea of quieting a recurve..what I shoot..so quiet that a deer wouldn't jump the string. It's going to hear the twang no matter what you do.

What is [glow=red]it[/glow] a sound level meter, or a deers ear?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
I couldnt take it after this comment, me and Curly crossed the lake yesterday in search of some dry leaves, and put the sound level meter to work on this walk.

73 degrees at 4pm in the middle of August? Wow, there's something to be said for the north.

Uncle Lou wrote:Background noise with birds and insects was about 30-40 dB, A close bird song or plane would spike it at ~50dB.

If I tried to walk quiet and got Curly up away from me, I could stay below background.

So I would like to take this back to Spysar's initial question. How loud to spook a buck?

Below background noise. That's good to know. You're gonna keep talkin and I'll have me one of those meters. I think the shop needs one :think: It would be interesting usin it throughout the season.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

Southern Man wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

73 degrees at 4pm in the middle of August? Wow, there's something to be said for the north.

Uncle Lou wrote:Background noise with birds and insects was about 30-40 dB, A close bird song or plane would spike it at ~50dB.

Below background noise. That's good to know. You're gonna keep talkin and I'll have me one of those meters. I think the shop needs one :think: It would be interesting usin it throughout the season.

Not through dry leaves though, only walking on the mowed path and trying hard to walk quiet could I stay below 30-40 dB background.

And yeh MI weather is pretty awesome, my S. ILL but loves it up here.

Also, if you got a smart phone check the available apps. Guy on an Iphone showed me a dB sound level meter in TN about 3 yrs ago, but I had to go on-line and just get a separate meter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”