Same Wind Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutnbuck

Same Wind Bedding

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 am

I'm trying to figure out multiple beds that are holding mature bucks on a given property. Choosing the moon phase with the right wind to hunt these beds may or may not happen in a season. If the prevailing wind is correct and he could bed in multiple beds that favor him would you go in the day before with the right prevailing wind that he would bed on and bump him out knowing that the prevailing wind (same) and overhead moon is going to be the next day in shooting him the next morning? My plan is hang that afternoon the day prior (where I bumped him) and try to get him the next morning. Just not sure if he will choose another location since I bumped him from the other one (chess game i'm trying to avoid) since I will only hunt it once. How good do you think the percentage is in him coming back to the same one that he was bumped the day prior? I don't want to go in there now and preset a stand until I know that I will even get the opprotunity with the wind and moon being correct but if the stars do line up I want to try this on this spot. Do mature bucks only have one bed that they bed on or multiple with the same wind? :think:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Same Wind Bedding

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 am

I would use "bump and dump" as a last resort, and try to get him by getting close in the evening 1st... If you know where the bed is, why bump him at all? If you need to morning hunt slide in there and set your stand before daylight and sit there and wait.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 am

The spot is impossible for him not knowing that I'm moving in on him, it's a good one. My thinking would have him know I'm there and setting up in daylight since it is thick which I would need to trim to get shots at him. The morning is tough trimming not knowing. I may not be ready this year to even hunt this buck. So my thoughts were to get it prepped and hunt him the next morning. One of the main reasons is that a lake is on his backside which drop down quickly, only about 50 yards behind him and he sits in a thicket that overlooks a ravine. my access is along the lake and coming up to the stand from below. He is by no means cornered, he can quickly escape without even knowing he was there, but if you touch his bed it is warm. Or do I preset now and wait for THE SHOT and RIGHT TIME. I didn't want to blow a LW with sticks for a chance that may not come. But then again it would be worth it if it did come together. I have to be confident that it will work. Any last words............
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:49 am

My opinion is that if you go in and bump him and then cut shooting lanes and set a stand chances are good your going to either not have him come back, or get close, smell where you cut lanes and leave.
Go in there now and do the trimming... (preferably before a rain) Its going to do a lot of damage, but its better than trimming, setting and then waiting a day or two to hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”