shining and hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

shining and hunting

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 am

How many of you shining the night before you hunt to validate the bucks are doing what they you want them to do? I am thinking just do a quick drive by and then formulate a game plan based off shining. Do you think this heights there awareness and should not be done? Just looking for thoughts and ideas
Thanks and appreciate any advice

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: shining and hunting

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am

I don't shine so can't help you out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:32 am

i dont and never have shinned. they call it "spotlight" or "jacklighting" where Im from and its very illegal.

however, if I could I would. For example, I think it makes perfect sense if you know of a buck bed and see a giant at the closest field not much after dark.

that would lead me to beleive he is bedding close (the know buck bed) since he came so soon after dark.

I would then hunt the bed or beds each evening after and hope he is still in the area and visiting that field soon after dark.

If I shinned a big buck at 2am, Im not sure what that would tell me.... but again, I honeslty dont have a clue about shinning.
You can't kill em on the couch
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 am

i shine all the time.. 8-) its a hobby in its self
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:54 am

Can't legally do it here in IL. Have done it a few times in WI. It can help locating current food sources to a point. You can't tell if they are hitting the un-picked corn field 'cause you can't see in there. But, in those bean and alfalfa fields it works great.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:39 am

I have never had success shining a particular buck and killing him the next day. I'm sure some here have been able to do that but in my experience much of the public I hunt is really shined hard once the season starts and the bucks get really spooked.

I would rather use what I learned from shining earlier in the summer and figure out where the bucks are bedding based on post season and spring scouting. Foods sources will change this some but come opener the bucks are usually in pretty predictable spots unless they have been pressured.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:25 am

There is a ton of shining pressure here, especially after some Jack Wagon released a marsh hunting DVD :lol:
But, despite the pressure, there are certain spots where if I shine a buck at certain times I am quite confidant that I know what bed he came from. I have successfully used this tactic.
When you use a trail camera your doing the same thing but only covering one 10 yard spot, with the spot light you can cover miles...
It helps to know the bedding areas really well adjacent to the spots you shine.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:10 am

The only thing that bothers me is........ how do you know that buck is going to bed in that same bed the next morning? You might know where he came from that night shining, but how do you know he will be at that same bed the next day when you go hunting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:43 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:The only thing that bothers me is........ how do you know that buck is going to bed in that same bed the next morning? You might know where he came from that night shining, but how do you know he will be at that same bed the next day when you go hunting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't know for sure... But bucks tend to bed in the same spot for periods of time. Sometimes it is only one day, but often its weeks...
It is very important to hunt a buck on a pattern as soon as possible because they can change beds at any time, but odds are good that if he bedded there yesterday, he will be there today.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”