Activated carbon fraud

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Re: Activated carbon fraud

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am

dan wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:So what ever happened with this?
Did that original group of guys ever win their law suit?

They lost from what I understand. If anyone wants to hear the other side of the story. Look here

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... arbon.897/

This link is only for the open minded. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Carbon filters are used for water filtration, gas masks, and a host of other things. and I know my scent lok clothes don't smell like body odor after wearing them several times.
I am using the Beast method's and scent lok. Hopefully this site allows for freedom of expression - a right in the Great USA
There is a rutgers study that was used in court and the original guys lost the suit.

John and Dan do agree controlling your scent is important. One controls it one way and the other another way. Both are successful hunters and that is very hard to deny. I like to listen to both and I am not sure why all the personal attacks are necessary. Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentlemans way to argue.

They may have lost the lawsuit, but the original court was right in my eyes... Scent companies were making false claims. Claims like: REMOVES ALL SCENT.... That's a right out lie. And if nothing else, at least because of the people who did the lawsuit, they are more careful now to be more honest in there advertising.

Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentleman's way to argue
I agree ( except the part about Canadians :mrgreen: ) Lets as a group try to be more open minded and not post just to poke... We really have a lack of good debate on this subject because of those whom are close minded or just argue.

Thank you Dan. I have met many very good American friends who are gentleman. I think the court ruling in this case is stated below. I don't know if the claim was 100 % scent reduction and I am sure that is impossible and a misleading claim however this is apparently the courts statement in bold font. Scent lok is good bow hunting clothing... quiet and functional. I am sure it does reduce scent... eliminate - no. But reducing body odor is not a bad idea before you hunt or while you hunt, if you have the time or inclination.
I would love to be as good a hunter as either Dan or John. As far as bias because John's son works for scent lok - that may be true - we all have bias and what matters is whether scent lok reduces scent or not. I do agree the hunting industry is full of nonsense. What I am interested in is science and facts not opinions or gas from my derriere.
taken from the Court's stipulation dismissal ruling.
Expert scientific testing found that, using highly elevated odor concentrations that were likely ten thousand fold greater than a human body could produce in the course of 24 hours, Scent Lok carbon lined clothing blocked or adsorbed 96 to 99 plus percent of odor compounds, and essentially 100% of surrogate body odor compounds

I know the scent dog arguments and such but if it reduces the amount of scent leaving me and then I follow the beast methods of controlling where scent goes I think I may improve my odds when hunting. Beast methods of controlling where my scent goes are not perfect because wind patterns change and I am sure that scent lok is not perfect. If you are not meticulous and thorough and fanatical about either approach you are more likely to fail. As fliningairos says the beast method is more about woodsmanship and I know scent lok is not.
But again I say not many people have had the success that John and Dan have... so I will listen to both and learn from both. I don't think either men are fakes. Both are competitive and want to be the best - They also hunt differently reflecting their different experiences and personalities and goals.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 am

Court rulings just leave me stracting my head. Seems most rulings are based on bribes and not rocking the boat. I remember watching the O J trial and the evidence was overwhelming without a doubt. But yet some how he was found not guilty in one court and guilty in another. Sorry to get off track.....
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am

ontario farmer wrote:
dan wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:

They lost from what I understand. If anyone wants to hear the other side of the story. Look here

This link is only for the open minded. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Carbon filters are used for water filtration, gas masks, and a host of other things. and I know my scent lok clothes don't smell like body odor after wearing them several times.
I am using the Beast method's and scent lok. Hopefully this site allows for freedom of expression - a right in the Great USA
There is a rutgers study that was used in court and the original guys lost the suit.

John and Dan do agree controlling your scent is important. One controls it one way and the other another way. Both are successful hunters and that is very hard to deny. I like to listen to both and I am not sure why all the personal attacks are necessary. Disagree without malice. The Canadian and a gentlemans way to argue.

They may have lost the lawsuit, but the original court was right in my eyes... Scent companies were making false claims. Claims like: REMOVES ALL SCENT.... That's a right out lie. And if nothing else, at least because of the people who did the lawsuit, they are more careful now to be more honest in there advertising.

I agree ( except the part about Canadians :mrgreen: ) Lets as a group try to be more open minded and not post just to poke... We really have a lack of good debate on this subject because of those whom are close minded or just argue.

Thank you Dan. I have met many very good American friends who are gentleman. I think the court ruling in this case is stated below. I don't know if the claim was 100 % scent reduction and I am sure that is impossible and a misleading claim however this is apparently the courts statement in bold font. Scent lok is good bow hunting clothing... quiet and functional. I am sure it does reduce scent... eliminate - no. But reducing body odor is not a bad idea before you hunt or while you hunt, if you have the time or inclination.
I would love to be as good a hunter as either Dan or John. As far as bias because John's son works for scent lok - that may be true - we all have bias and what matters is whether scent lok reduces scent or not. I do agree the hunting industry is full of nonsense. What I am interested in is science and facts not opinions or gas from my derriere.
Expert scientific testing found that, using highly elevated odor concentrations that were likely ten thousand fold greater than a human body could produce in the course of 24 hours, Scent Lok carbon lined clothing blocked or adsorbed 96 to 99 plus percent of odor compounds, and essentially 100% of surrogate body odor compounds

I know the scent dog arguments and such but if it reduces the amount of scent leaving me and then I follow the beast methods of controlling where scent goes I think I may improve my odds when hunting. Beast methods of controlling where my scent goes are not perfect because wind patterns change and I am sure that scent lok is not perfect. If you are not meticulous and thorough and fanatical about either approach you are more likely to fail. As fliningairos says the beast method is more about woodsmanship and I know scent lok is not.
But again I say not many people have had the success that John and Dan have... so I will listen to both and learn from both. I don't think either men are fakes. Both are competitive and want to be the best - They also hunt differently reflecting their different experiences and personalities and goals.

Sounds like you certainly know your marbles with this scent lock stuff. It never really interested me so I never tried it in the hunting world. However, I did spend several years working in the chemical warfare dept of the United States Air Force and handled activated carbon suits on a daily basis. I believe one of the uses mentioned by John was the use by military. Just because I don't have a interest in the suit I no a bunch of new hunters do. Would you agree that they would be better off buying a military chemical suit. They have twice the amount of activated carbon, come sealed air tight so they don't absorb odors hanging on the rack and can be purchased for around $40. Just seems if someone wanted to give carbon a shot, this would be the way to go.
-John Wayne-
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

NatureBoy wrote:
Swampthing wrote:...the most faith I ever had in any 1 hunter was John Eberhart.And he lived by SCENTLOCK clothing and highly supported it,to him it was as important as the bow he shot his deer with....

It's true, John really does push Scentlok. He also typically hunts very high, 25' minimum, performs a complete scent reduction routine, and plays the wind whenever possible. You'll notice in his books and DVD's that, although he clearly states his belief in the product, he doesn't claim that it eliminates human scent. He uses words like, "reduce" to describe it. Like Dan always says, you'd have be in a plastic bubble to completely contain all human scent.

Seems like everyone we look up to endorses something, and I believe in John's case, he sincerely believes in the product, just like a lot of guys here, including me believe in and endorse the quality of LW products, even though most of us don't get a penny for doing so. Sucks when you feel you've been deceived though :cry: .

I don’t know a whole lot about John and I don’t believe in scent control products any longer. However getting higher than 25’ is a big deal. Last year I moved my stand behind my house from 16 to 30’ or maybe even a little higher. I kept getting busted by thermals sucking up toward the mountain 1/2-3/4 a mile away. I haven’t been busted since that I know of. I’ve had deer downwind and cross my scent trail too (which I think the cold days helped there). Just the other day I had two does and a spike bed down 5 yards upwind. One time the doe got up and stomped a few times then bedded back down. She possibly caught some falling scent, or heard me move as I was messing around trying different things to see what I could get away with. I’ve noticed at that high movement is basically a non issue.

So my point is he’s pushing scentlok but hunting fairly high. Hunting that high is gonna prevent him from getting busted much of time by itself. That said I’ve hunted off the ground mostly this year and I’m amazed at how even getting scented the deer didn’t just go crazy and blow and bust tail out. This was on pressured public land too. Some deer knew I was there but didn’t even alarm. If I had any kind of scent control routine I could attribute it to that.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:39 am

If you want to get scientific I don't know any way scentlock blocks your breath even with a mask you have a constant scent stream flowing out of you non stop and that mask could fill up in minutes to hours at the most. I know serious bird hunters who say a wounded bird is far easier to find because they are still breathing, there is no way to stop it but death. ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 am

ontario farmer wrote:
dan wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:

I 100% agree it reduces odor... I try though, to look at it as unbiased. I don't use it, and don't plan to, regardless of of it works or not. I think a lot of people "think" that im closed mined on the subject, but im not... I am opinionated, but there are reasons for my opinions. #1 being the tests that have been done. They prove a lot more to me than just that deer can smell a guy wearing scent-loc. 1 test can be a fluke... But when you view 7 tests done by people whom don't care what the outcome is, and they all ironically have the exact same outcome despite the type of test, and its not the outcome anybody expected, well things like that don't happen on coincidental accident.

If you paid attention to any of those tests you will notice one common theme. The sweaty guy is the hardest for the dog to locate every time regardless of whether its ground scent or airborn. What shocked me about this testing is that I expected the dogs to randomly smell each the same amount. And it dawned on me that the times Im getting busted are when I was freshly clean showered. I have deer down wind of me a lot right after work when Im oily and smelly and thats when I get away with the most. Just watch the latest video I put up on you tube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mnE20Z8G4g&t=1386s

One big misconception in my eyes is that deer are scared of foreign odors. You always hear people talk about "idiot hunters" getting gas in the hunting clothes... (By the way, I do, including wearing my hunting boots) But are deer really scared of gas? The way they walk up and feed next to my parked truck, atv, parking lots, etc. tells me no... So what triggers them to smell you and alarm? B/O? I don't think so. Its your predator scent, which from studying this fascinating subject has lead me to learn that skin cells floating off your dry clean skin is the trigger. I have video footage of a feral cat walking across a field and then groups of deer coming out later. Every one of the deer freaked when they smelled where the cat crossed. Why? They smell a predator. Should they be worried about a tiny house cat?

I have listened to all the claims from scent control people, but when it comes down to it, all the guys who are honest with me about how much they get busted using scent control are getting busted more than I am. This year at the end of the season when the scent control stuff popped back up I went back over my entire season and logged how many times I had deer down wind, or crossed my scent trail, and how many busted me. You should do the same and compare it to my results.

66 days hunted this season out of 107 days available to hunt.

20 days hunted with no deer seen.

128 does seen from stand

68 bucks seen from stand

63 deer got down wind / of those 53 showed no reaction, 6 spooked,(spooked means left, snorted, or altered direction) and 4 more showed a slight reaction that was barely noticeable ( most commonly a sniff of the wind, but back to normal travel) Spooked includes distant snorts of unseen deer.

18 deer crossed my entrance trail. / of those 16 showed no reaction, 1 spooked, and one more sniffed then went about its business.

I documented, or can remember travel vs wind on 87 deer. 7 nose to wind / 30 tail to wind / 50 cross wind. -- Honestly, they came out of the bedding the same as always, but I set up for wind to tail or cross wind the most, so thats how I see most travel.

No scent control of any kind other than to play the wind. I even wore my work boots on several hunts. Most of my hunting clothes don't get washed all season, and jackets, coats, and boots never get washed.

I can tell you for fact, if the scent control companies could do a dog test (or any test) that showed any indication that in any way they could beat a nose of that type, they would. And you can believe me, they have tried, and you will never see the results. Why you think that is? Instead it looks better to blame the dogs, or the tester. I can also tell you that hanging around in this industry, there are a lot of people praising scent control who are big name guys who behind the scenes laugh at it. They don't want to loose sponsoring and show funding from the scent control portion of the industry. I have had a lot of pressure put on me to play along.

I can find tests, and find results that show that scent control don't work against a deers nose, but thru searching I can't find any evidence that shows the slightest indication it does. The only thing that comes close is ozonics. Maybe someday they will figure out a safe way to do it that works, but for now, I can't find anything except one study that shows scent gets reduced. Which no one is arguing... I want to see any evidence that it works... Any. Im open minded, if there is a way, I would like to know and see it... But as of now, everyone I know who uses scent control gets busted more than I do, and the tests, point the other way.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

As far as I know military carbon suits are not available and if they have twice the carbon obviously they would be better if they were quiet and not a solid color ie camo.
Yes and I have thought about how high John hunts and I know that would help prevent a deer from picking up your movement and disperse your scent better.
I expect for most but not all deer the level of scent it detects is important - the more pressured deer are, the more scent the more cautious a deer will be.
I expect if we do not handle scent lok properly it will not work at all. As far as science, I am certain carbon reduces odor. It would not be so widely used by industry if it did not work.
John obviously does not play the wind much at all except perhaps by hunting high.
Dan tries to predict wind movement and is successful often.
A deer's nose is its number one defense. Both Dan and John think limiting or controlling human scent movement is critical for killing big bucks. Plus hunting tactics.
Dan and John have amazing results from their methods so I have to think both methods work well.

I doubt that scent lok will work well for an individual unless they are a perfectionist as far as how they handle their clothing. That is why John goes into so much detail as far as how he handles it. It is not an approach that is for all personalities.

Dan's method will not work well for the lazy hunter. John's method will not either. He prepares well pre season by preparing trees, scouting and works hard too. We all have different personalities and goals as hunters. My daughter started to hunt and has limited time. So she hunts in preset stands that dad sets up and yes there is bait. She got her only deer two years ago with the bow. But she only hunts 3 to 5 times each fall. She missed a nice buck this fall. She loves it and is not home much so I do what I can to make her successful. I will pass killing some deer but I tell her not to pass on any. I only have 25 acres of woods so I seldom hunt there until the gun hunt. I hunt public land and try to use the methods that John and Dan use.

My point is different personalities, different methods. I am sure carbon does absorb odor. Does scent lok work. I expect only if used properly.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

ontario farmer wrote:As far as I know military carbon suits are not available and if they have twice the carbon obviously they would be better if they were quiet and not a sold color ie camo.
Yes and I have thought about how high John hunts and I know that would help prevent a deer from picking up your movement and disperse your scent better.
I expect for most but not all deer the level of scent it detects is important - the more pressured deer are, the more scent the more cautious a deer will be.
I expect if we do not handle scent lok properly it will not work at all. As far as science, I am certain carbon reduces odor. It would not be so widely used by industry if it did not work.
John obviously does not play the wind much at all except perhaps by hunting high.
A deer's nose is its number one defense. Both Dan and John think limiting or controlling human scent movement is critical for killing big bucks. Plus hunting tactics.
Dan and John have amazing results from their methods so I have to think both methods work well.

I doubt that scent lok will work well for an individual unless they are a perfectionist as far as how they handle their clothing. That is why John goes into so much detail as far as how he handles it. It is not an approach that is for all personalities.

Dan's method will not work well for the lazy hunter. John's method will not either. He prepares well pre season by preparing trees, scouting and works hard too. We all have different personalities and goals as hunters. My daughter started to hunt and has limited time. So she hunts in preset stands that dad sets up and yes there is bait. She got her only deer two years ago with the bow. But she only hunts 3 to 5 times each fall. She missed a nice buck this fall. She loves it and is not home much so I do what I can to make her successful. I will pass killing some deer but I tell her not to pass on any. I only have 25 acres of woods so I seldom hunt there until the gun hunt. I hunt public land and try to use the methods that John and Dan use.

My point is different personalities, different methods. I am sure carbon does absorb odor. Does scent lok work. I expect only if used properly.

I disagree with the highlighted portion... Turn on a TV or slip in a DVD and listen to all the crap products that people getting paid to use push down your throat as the newest and greatest product. I know several very famous hunters that have told me straight out they don't believe in the crap, but it pays for there TV shows. I can also tell you I have watched the little groupies of guys wanting to be famous hunters trying to start there own show go to every booth at every show and beg to be sponsored. A TV show host once told me at dinner after the Madison deer classic "Dan, you gotta shut up about the scent control, we both know it don't work, but one day you will need money from that area of the industry in order to have a show of your own" Frankly, thats why I don't have a show!
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Dan
So the logical conclusion of your statement above is scent does not matter therefore why hunt the wind.
All those sightings... way more than me... deer crossing your path ... around your truck. I guess I don't have to worry about scent. Do big bucks worry about scent? Of course we know they do. I have a huge amount of respect for your hunting ability and have no desire to try to out argue you. I believe you know carbon can reduce scent significantly - is scent reduction helpful even if a dog can smell you. Do deer react to the amount of scent or any scent at all or the volume of scent. I think from your argument above you know the answer.

I am not even sure scent lok suits my hunting personality. I am a type A guy and I am not overly detail oriented.
I am sure that the hunting industry is full of a lot of marketing non sense so we agree on that. I doubt that John's motives are evil even if he or his son do benefit because I think he has used the stuff for a long time - probably well before any personal benefit.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

dan wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:As far as I know military carbon suits are not available and if they have twice the carbon obviously they would be better if they were quiet and not a sold color ie camo.

I disagree with the highlighted portion... Turn on a TV or slip in a DVD and listen to all the crap products that people getting paid to use push down your throat as the newest and greatest product. I know several very famous hunters that have told me straight out they don't believe in the crap, but it pays for there TV shows. I can also tell you I have watched the little groupies of guys wanting to be famous hunters trying to start there own show go to every booth at every show and beg to be sponsored. A TV show host once told me at dinner after the Madison deer classic "Dan, you gotta shut up about the scent control, we both know it don't work, but one day you will need money from that area of the industry in order to have a show of your own" Frankly, thats why I don't have a show!

I do not have a TV and have not had one for since I left home 40 years ago. I hate TV. I have almost never watched a hunting show but I have your videos and Johns

I should clarify. It would not be widely used in the non hunting industry... military, water filtration, medical situations etc. I was not referring to the hunting industry. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Last edited by ontario farmer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

$19.99 entire set! Colemans military surplus. According to ads can even be refired in your dryer!
-John Wayne-
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Image

$19.99 entire set! Colemans military surplus. According to ads can even be refired in your dryer!

I wonder if the material is quiet. Good deal
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm

ontario farmer wrote:Hi Dan
So the logical conclusion of your statement above is scent does not matter therefore why hunt the wind.
All those sightings... way more than me... deer crossing your path ... around your truck. I guess I don't have to worry about scent. Do big bucks worry about scent? Of course we know they do. I have a huge amount of respect for your hunting ability and have no desire to try to out argue you. I believe you know carbon can reduce scent significantly - is scent reduction helpful even if a dog can smell you. Do deer react to the amount of scent or any scent at all or the volume of scent. I think from your argument above you know the answer.

I am not even sure scent lok suit my hunting personality. I am sure that the hunting industry is full of a lot of marketing non sense so we agree on that. I doubt that John's motives are evil even if he or his son does benefit because I think he has used the stuff for a long time - probably well before any personal benefit.

Not trying to argue. Just looking for evidence of any kind, and all of it leads one way. As far as John, I never claimed he was evil, and never said one bad thing about him.
I believe you know carbon can reduce scent significantly - is scent reduction helpful even if a dog can smell you. Do deer react to the amount of scent or any scent at all or the volume of scent. I think from your argument above you know the answer.
Im not sure what you mean by that... But if your truly asking my opinion based on tests and observations, No, i don't think the amount of scent matters, I think the deer knows your there and right where your at if he hits your scent stream. I think they can age scent, not discriminate on volume.

You, see what im getting at is what your saying is a good argument in theory, but there is nothing to back it up, and plenty that goes against it. I would l;ike to see facts, or see someone whom is getting results better than mine. Nothing against John, but I really don't believe he has never been winded by a deer in 18 years. I would rather see someones results like yourself, who believes in it, and is honest about his interactions and wants to know the truth... I put it out there my exact interactions this year. I kept a journal from day one, so its accurate, and I would like to compare it against honest guys using scent control, or see some other testing or backing that shows evidence of any sort.
ontario farmer

Unread postby ontario farmer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:35 pm

I am sure John has been winded despite his claims to the contrary. He may not have known it.

So if the amount of scent does not matter. Why play the wind.

Even the military believes in carbon suits. Why??? Seems like those coveralls could not hurt at that price.
Last edited by ontario farmer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

:idea: in all reality guys

I'm starting to get a handle on John E's F the wind theory. He's really onto something with his scent regimen. It's going to take alot of adapting but..

All I need to do is quit my job, get a divorce, live a scent free life for 5 months out of the year, ohh and spend a couple Grand :think:
Thats it! My 2018 seasons looking deadly

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”