You biggest bone head moment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tim
500 Club

Re: You biggest bone head moment

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

i have left my bow at home, i have forgot my release in the car, i have forgot my safety harness in the car, heck one time i didnt even bring my clothes bag so all my hunting clothes/camo etc was at home 4 hours away. . the time i forgot my release i was hunting kenosha and wouldnt you know it a dandy buck comes out and i drew with fingers but it wasnt right and i had to let down and let him go....the time i forgot my camo , first hunt of the year it was opening monday i ended up shooting a nice 10 pt. in jeans a sleaveless tshirt and my stink ballcap i had the right wind so it didnt matter. these are just a few, after 25 years of hunting the idiot stories start to pile up :oops:

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Zap wrote:I pondered my moments......and decided there were too many to post.

:mrgreen:

Don't be shy!

Or a tease :roll:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 am

Same as some of the others. Forgot my release on opening day of the bow season. It was an evening hunt, about 80 degrees, and I had to hike back to the truck and get it. Also, forgot to put a primer in my muzzle loader, this time it was about 14 degrees out, sat all evening never knew it, at least nothing showed.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am

When I turned 17 years old I told myself no more shooting small/younger bucks. That year I shot 115 Inch or so 2.5 or 3.5 year old buck. The next year I told myself no more 2.5's, just 3.5's or older. What I thought was a mid 120's 3.5 year old came by at 17 yards. I gut shot him but found him right away the next morning as I knew I hit guts and didn't track It that night. He ended up going 120 Inches and dressed 160lbs so a for sure 3.5 year old he was. From that year on I told myself nothing under 130 Inches gets shot at by me. 4 years later the 1st week of November I'm hunting close to a primary scrape In the morning. A mid 120's 3.5 year old 8 point comes by at 15 yards. I let him pass with ease. He was the biggest buck I had ever let by at this point In the 9 years I had been hunting. That evening I went right back to this same stand. 2 hours before dark I see what looks like the same 8 point I let by In the morning. He's coming from the east (bedding area). I was going to grab my bow but thinking It was the same 8 I let by that morning I decided not to. He came by at 10 yards. When he was fully broadside I had to do a double take at his end forks. The son of a grew another set of forks!! Here he was a 10 point that I had never saw before, not the 8 point that I had let pass that morning. A mid 130's buck he was that I had to watch broadside at 10 yards. I didn't dare budge. Lesson learned from that day on for me, ALWAYS pick up your bow when any deer Is coming. This buck had the same style of rack as the 8 point.

To this day this still bugs the crap out of me!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:24 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Zap wrote:I pondered my moments......and decided there were too many to post.

:mrgreen:

Don't be shy!

Or a tease :roll:

:snooty:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 am

Fixin to shoot a buck, I had my finger on the trigger when I clicked off the safety. Boom....

Dropped a glove on the ground doe huntin, climbed down to get it, does came in with me on the ground, bow up in the tree.

Climbed down to take a "can't wait" crap, busted by does.

Left my stand in the back of my truck all night and went huntin the next mornin. I climbed the tree and got into position, slipped on the frost on the stand. I had rubber boots on. A small buck came through that I would have shot at the time (or shot at) but was afraid to move due to the frost.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:23 pm

At one of my super urban hunting spots I was walking a drainage ditch in through the woods to my stand which was 10 yards from a creek that has an interestate sound wall about 10 yards on the other side of the creek. It was the beginning of November and As I get to my stand, I cracked two big branches making a couple large cracks. With the interstate running right there (one of the big ones that runs to downtown Chicago) I didn't think much of it since the sound was covered up by traffic. As I'm tying my bow up to my string to pull it up I look over and see a large wake in the creek. I figured it was a couple ducks or a muskrat making moving around. I remember even thinking to myself "Thats a pretty big wake for that creek". As soon as my bow is tied up and I'm about to climb the tree I look over to see a 140 class bucking staring at me at 9 yards. He had waded the creeek thinking I was another deer and either looking for a fight or looking for a lady. If I would have just stood next to the tree with an arrow knocked that buck would have thought I was another deer, never known I was there and walked right into my shooting lane and 9 yards. Instead Im 3 feet up in the tree, bow on the ground and the deer knows I'm there and all I can see is his head and his rack in my shooting lane. I tried to pull my bow up but of course he's gone before I even have a chance. Now everytime I walk into that stand I watch that creek for any wake at all.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:16 am

My biggest bonehead moment is after typing out a long list of funny bonehead moments stories on this thread and then closing the page before I posted it..lol..grrr
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 am

I got up in my stand for a shotgun hunt a few years back. I have two bags and realized that the one I grabbed had no shells in it. The only shell that I had was the one in my pocket. Didn't want to walk the 3/4 mil back to get more shells so just hoped that one would be enough. I ended up dropping a nice 8 pointer and he kicked for about 10 seconds, was very happy that it worked out like that. Well my other bag had my knife in it as well so had to go back to truck anyway and get knife. Thats what happens when your in a rush in the morning to get out...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:59 am

Ill tell ya what really used to jazz me. When I used climbers is climbing the whole way up and forgetting to tie the pull up rope on. I did it on the last buck I shot. I climbed up and got cooled down, ready to pull it up and realized i forgot. Back down and back up. Oh yea, it was 10 degrees in the rut. Got back up and froze all morning and ALMOST went home. Good thing I didnt 10:45 I laid the buck down. Best part was the guys who were small game hunting coming up on the buck not knowing I was hunting. Im in the tree getting ready to come down and I hear this...

"Wow, thats a really nice buck"

"He has an arrow in him, hes still warm"

"HEY.... HEYYYYYYY DID SOMEONE SHOOT A BUCK HES LAYING OVER HERE!!!!"

Which then I had to reply, yea I saw him drop. I thought maybe they would offer to help drag him as he was a very large bodied deer. Nope. When I got him to the truck I couldnt even get him in the back. Some other guy stopped to help.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 am

Lots of bone head moves for me :mrgreen: The one I am remembering right now comes from many many years ago when I was a kid and bought a compound at a rummage sale. One of those real old brownings that had all the pulleys.... Had a doe come in and was standing 10 yards broadside. I pulled the bow back and was settling behind her shoulder when "pop" the cable came off the pulleys and there I sat aiming a bow that was unstrung at a deer I swear was laughing at me!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:05 pm

One of the first seasons I bow hunted, I decided to hunt from a "natural stand". There was a tree with a fork in it. I had a set of screw in steps, figured I would get up to the fork and straddle it.

Things went fairly well, I got up and settled in the fork which didn't totally crush my manhood, but it wasn't real comfy either.

The tree was in the right spot, as a really nice buck came running towards it, looks up at me sitting in the crotch of the tree. Problem was, there was no way I could draw my bow with one fork of the tree in my face.

He trotted off, probably laughing.

LoneWolf stands were probably the single best thing that happened to me in regards to bow hunting.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Having deer move in to range as Im coming out of my stand and my bow is laying on the ground out of reach. That has happened a few times.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 am

Last year I hunted hard for a really wide 8 in Michigan. In early November I got a text from my buddy saying he had just shot one of his target bucks on his farm. I was pumped for him. It was 10am and I hadn't seen a deer in 2 hours so I called him from my tree stand. He's telling me the details of the hunt when I look to my right only to see my target buck (the wide 8) walking through my shooting lane at 15 yards. I slid the phone into my pocket, drew my bow, and shot at the buck at what looked like a decent lane. Arrow hits branches and deflects under the buck and he runs off unscaved. My buddy heard the entire scenario play out as he was still on the other line.. The buck would have been mine if I wasn't on the phone and would've been my 5th good buck of the season. Major bone head moment.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 am

I've walked in over a mile and forgot my safety harness a couple times....Now I don't have to worry about it because I wear the harness and treestand together when i walk in. Simplifies things and one less thing to carry in ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”