A buck I have my eye on......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

A buck I have my eye on......

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 pm

There is a buck that I have my eye on that crosses the road most nights and eats in an alfalfa field. During the early summer I would see him before dark crossing the road. Now its always dark when I see him. Sometimes I see him a half hour after dark which tells me he is bedding kinda close to the road. Other times I dont see him till midnight or three in the morning. What does this mean? Maybe he has another bed, maybe he feeds somewhere else before hitting this field. Long story short, I want to find out how close he is bedding to the road and where to start looking or where I should start hunting him.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Re: A buck I have my eye on......

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Not sure if you guys are being affected by drought this year. But in my area in the midwest things are different this year. I was out scouting today and noticed that some of the white oaks are already dropping acorns. Last week they were not. This week they are and the deer are pounding them even though they are small and pretty green. I think the reason is just because of the drought we are having. It may not be acorns in your area but I would bet it is food related. The good thing is he may not necessarily change his bedding area.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:51 pm

I too noticed the white oaks have dropped their acorns already.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 am

It means that he's secretly signed up as a member on Hunting Beast and has watched PredatorTC's Extreme Whitetail Tactics. He's pulling the Bourne Supremacy move on you, trying to throw you off his trail...
jonsimoneau wrote:It may not be acorns in your area but I would bet it is food related.
...or maybe it's just food related. Yeah, that's probably it...
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 am

Stanley wrote:I too noticed the white oaks have dropped their acorns already.

I have 1 outside my window at work that is loaded up and looks ready to drop soon. Im going to try and find some on my private that will drop by opening day Sept 1st.

I thought a dry year would be a bad crop... but may not be from the sounds of it?

The only thing I would rather hunt opening week would be at apple or pear tree....
You can't kill em on the couch
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:06 am

most likly a food scorce change ...acrons are dropping all over ..

i had this happen to me also this year . wacthed a buck all summer just after dar, know i harldy see him
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 am

Time to move the camera to the oak trees!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 am

its not that that he changed alltogether... he is just showing up at all diffrent times. One day is early and the next could be late
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 am

PredatorTC wrote:its not that that he changed alltogether... he is just showing up at all diffrent times. One day is early and the next could be late

Are you logging the sightings and comparing to wind directions and moon position?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 am

dan wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:its not that that he changed alltogether... he is just showing up at all diffrent times. One day is early and the next could be late

Are you logging the sightings and comparing to wind directions and moon position?

Boy oh boy, Im getting sloppy in my old age. No. But I do have the dtes written down. I need to order this years moon charts yet too. Doing this should have been the first thing I did. Ill have to get back to you on this and tell you what im seeing.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:32 am

hey predator my #1 hitlister is showing at eratic times, no pattern, i have to do the same check wind and moon times , just gotta get around to doing it. i usually dont try to pattern a deer with a trailcam but i will look at the wind more than likely cause it more than likely relates to the point he is near im guessing or where he is bedding. i have yet to lay eyes on this buck but have 3 years worth of pics now. last year i didnt hunt him much cause i didnt really wanna kill him if given the chance , this year is different.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 am

Tim, Let me know what you find you.

I shinned this morning at 2 and I lit him up in field that is a bit more off the road. I wonder if he changes his pattern and feeds in this field because this field seems a lot more secluded.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:29 pm

He was out early tonight. Does anyone have a moon chart for this year that can tell me if there is anything going on?
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:38 pm

http://www.usprimetimes.com/
Here you go

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:42 am

I believe the moon was over head about 2 or 3 in the afternoon