name a small detail that you missed that cost you a buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Atfulldraw
Facebook: 4011 W 4rd

Re: name a small detail that you missed that cost you a buck

Unread postby Atfulldraw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:49 am

Not having the mental stamina to keep my buck fever under control allowing me to anchor and pick a spot before releasing my arrow.

I still have nightmares 11 years later...

Its one of a story too...

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Most all of the aforementioned details!!!

The ole' twig/branch that always blends in perfectly with the hair of a deer or elk leads the way.

On Dan's thought on taking 2nd shots. When I was young I had an old timer tell me:

Shoot plenty of gun, keep shooting tell he's down and stays down or your out of ammo, then worry about what you got left to eat!!!!!

I carry alot of ammo!!!!!
bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Great thread! Reaching for my weapon to quick would be mine. I heard crunching coming so I thought I would reach for my gun. Well the buck seen me before I seen him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Missed a shot at kicker. He was stretched out working a hanging limb over a scrape. I over looked the fact that he was all stretched working that limb. When I shot he dropped out of sight an the arrow went over his back about three inches.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm

An interesting one for me came in the 2014 season. I had an opportunity on a buck that was harvested by the neighbor in 2015 that had to have gone in the 190s.

Anyways, the detail is sort of an interesting one. For a solid twenty minutes, maybe more I had a pair of fawns running around behind me on a slope (imagine a set 1/2 the way up on a side in a coulee). Fawns are on my side. On the opposite side cruising down from the top I spot a very mature slob buck described above. He's on a mission and it was an instance that deserved some calling. If I recall, a grunt and can did not get his attention, but a snort wheeze got him turned and heading for me. As he is crossing the bottom of the ravine and very soon less than 40 yards away the fawns catch my movement and start freaking out. He snapped his head up, didn't like their reaction and went back up the side he came.

So in this instance I had stopped paying attention to what the fawns were doing and locked my attention on to him, moving only when he couldn't see me. In the end the fawns busted me which busted him. Hind sight what it is I wish I would have scared them off 15 minutes earlier.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
south

Unread postby south » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:53 am

Looking right instead of left...was sneaking into a stand last year around 1 PM, standing in a creek looking up the hill trying to find the tree I wanted to be in...heard something to my left...doe stood up from behind a little blow down about 30 yds away and my target buck stood up right beside her and away they went. :roll:
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:35 am

November 30th, 2014. I had a big buck walk through and my brain froze up. I forgot to account for distance and shot under him. :doh:

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:05 am

bkraus wrote:Great thread! Reaching for my weapon to quick would be mine. I heard crunching coming so I thought I would reach for my gun. Well the buck seen me before I seen him.

A few years ago in late Nov I was in long rattling sequence and all of a sudden a big buck was standing underneath me like a statue. Over the years I've thought about what I could have done differently once the deer was right under me. I hung the antlers and the buck did a back flip and got behind cover. The real answer is that I should have been facing more toward the downwind direction to spot that buck before it was standing under me. A couple other times while calling I started moving too soon. If you call, you should probably wait a solid 30-45 mins before moving a muscle. Bucks know where the sound is coming from within a few feet.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:19 am

I was hunting a thick bedding area one morning several years ago after drinking too much coffee. I got up to pee and had a shooter walk under the tree while I was in the process. Ended up pissing all over him in a panic while reaching for my bow. He looked up at me and took off before I could get a shot off. Since that day I usually prepare myself before taking a leak and usually face my bow during the process rather than have my back to it.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 am

One year it was october1st and just arrowed a doe it was morning.Got down and took off my release. Walked over to my bloody arrow and was knelt down looking at it at the same time I hear a deer walking toward me thru the thick cover. I'm trying to hurry to get my release on. Out steps a big buck. I almost got drawn on him had an arrow on the rest. He saw me and took off. If I would of had my release on I would of had time to shoot him. Moral of the story be ready when your in the woods. That was one year I went back to compound from traditional. I also think I would of got him with a longbow.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 am

I have to many to list! But mostly not scouting enough. Boots on the groundfor sure!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am

Didn't practice shooting from a seated position. Buck came in fast and ready to party. As fortune would have it... My arrow sailed high and I swear it hit every tree in the woods. The party was over:(

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
go DEEP or go HOME
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:36 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I was hunting a thick bedding area one morning several years ago after drinking too much coffee. I got up to pee and had a shooter walk under the tree while I was in the process. Ended up pissing all over him in a panic while reaching for my bow. He looked up at me and took off before I could get a shot off. Since that day I usually prepare myself before taking a leak and usually face my bow during the process rather than have my back to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You wouldn't want him anyway... Smells awefully like coffee pee :lol:
-Rick
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Lost a nice 140 10 point on public land with my bow 2 years ago. Shot him in the shoulder at 8 yards because I rushed the shot, almost embarrassing to admit.

Lost a young 110 inch buck years ago that I called in in December because I had a face mask on, never worn one since.

Had a public land giant, probably 160-170 walk under a tree I have killed multiple bucks out of in a bedding area. I moved to another tree 50 yards away the next day after hunting this stand. He walked under the stand I had always sat in at about 10 yards.

Missed a deer 2 years ago, probably 135 on public using untuned fixed blades. My buddy asked me did you make sure they were flying right, my response was they always fly well. I went out to the range and I was all over the place when I was shooting past 20 yds.

Didn't get a shot at the best deer of my life because I didn't draw early enough. I was only 10 feet in a tree and he was at 6 yards.

I've screwed it up so many times its ridiculous.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm

In 2006 day before our youth weekend it got down to 29 an I decide to take some coffee with me to the stand. I was on a doe mission for meat. Hadn't seen any good bucks yet usually didn't till mid October-November on that farm. My dad told me not to take the coffee. I didn't listen lol! Day break just could see my pins an I hear something walking to my left. Couldn't see anything so I dismissed as a squirrel. Heard it again saw some legs 2 more steps out pops 150-160 inch buck! My first thought was oh sh&$ I'm screwed! At 5 yards from the tree he caught me trying to put the cup on my seat. We staired at each other for what seemed forever he went about his business. He caught me again grabbing my bow. The jig is up he is getting wigged out! He got to 25 yards got bow draw peep to eye he bolts blowing the whole way down the ridge!!! Thought to myself well that's bad!!! Lol! Never have brought coffee again! Chased that buck for 2 more years always saw him with a bow around the same spot same time but he was never that close again!! Shoulda stood up the first time I heard something walking when my gut told me too but my eyes and mind out thought my gut!! Never new about that buck till I saw him. Maybe would have not brought the coffee if I had of know about him. Oh well live an learn!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”