Alpha or assault

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Alpha or assault

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Ive been hunting out of a saddle for the past two years and while I find it "ok" I don't think it's the best thing going for me. My reason for using the saddle was mobility, but I think it may actually slow me down a bit and cause me to take in a little more gear. Which leads me to the idea of a new stand purchase. I've had no issues hunting from smaller stands previously, (even though I'm 6'4") but can't make my mind up between these two. I do like keeping weight down, but it is just a 3 lb difference. I'll most likely keep my saddle to have in my bag of tricks if needed. Any thoughts?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Alpha or assault

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Alpha. I am 6'2", you will like the extra room, trust me. Unless you're trekking some serious miles the 3 lb difference is moot.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

huntinsonovagun wrote: (even though I'm 6'4") but can't make my mind up between these two. I do like keeping weight down, but it is just a 3 lb difference.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

We are about the same size I imagine. I sold my Alpha due to comfort reasons. I also do not have any problem with a smaller platform. That being said, I would still lilke to have an Assault with a better cusion.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm not as big as those that posted earlier but I like the smaller of the two. The extra platform on the bigger one is basically off to the sides of the seat and not much use in my opinion. I also really like the old windwalker stand. I wish Lone wolf would make improvements to that idea. It would be the best stand ever for the mobile hunter.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:39 pm

I'd recommend the Alpha.....the extra weight is hardly noticeable on your back, and the extra platform length is a good thing if you get up to any amount of height.

Better yet.....get one of each! 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Ack wrote:

Better yet.....get one of each! 8-)

That's what I did. Depending on where I hunt will dictate which one I use. My Alpha will be my main stand and the Assault will be for longer hikes or tight spots in a tree.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

The old assault is bigger and lighter than the new assault2.

Mine is 7.5 pounds and the same length as my alpha, well maybe an inch shorter... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Just had my Alpha come in yesterday from Dan's store - gotta support the troops guys!!! ;)

Dan talked me into the Alpha as being slighlty wider and his rubber boot squeak against the cable on the Assault.
So I decided to give it a try, plus the way the long sticks attach that tends to be the governing length anyways.
Also as someone mentioned, the higher you go the nicer a big stand can feel!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm

If you guys think an assault is small you should stand on my LocOn Limit. Just big enough for my 10.5 boot, you HAVE to put the seat up to stand.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 am

backstraps wrote:We are about the same size I imagine. I sold my Alpha due to comfort reasons. I also do not have any problem with a smaller platform. That being said, I would still lilke to have an Assault with a better cusion.

I have the gorilla seat which fits on the assualt. a muddy seat would work also.
You can't kill em on the couch
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 am

Brandon wrote:I have the gorilla seat which fits on the assualt. a muddy seat would work also.

Which one Brandon? I see medium and large. Which fits the best on the Assault?
http://www.gorillatreestands.com/xpe-re ... eat--large
http://www.gorillatreestands.com/xpe-re ... at--medium
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am

NatureBoy wrote:
Brandon wrote:I have the gorilla seat which fits on the assualt. a muddy seat would work also.

Which one Brandon? I see medium and large. Which fits the best on the Assault?
http://www.gorillatreestands.com/xpe-re ... eat--large
http://www.gorillatreestands.com/xpe-re ... at--medium

Not sure, but I could check this evening. large is 18" x12, and medium is 16" x10. They only had 1 when I got mine last season... or I got lucky. :)

I should say.. I dont use it all the time because the seat doesnt fold up against the tree as well... and I usually stand during prime time (last hour of dark, deer chasing, ect).
You can't kill em on the couch
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:42 am

In your situation I would get the Alpha, you can always go back to the saddle for the hunts you really need to cut the weight. that's what i did anyway. I really like the saddle but can't find and easy/quiet way to get a platform set up. so I too have gone away from the tree Saddle, but there are some instance where I still use it, especially if I have left the tree pegs and bow holders in from a previous season. These are usually in rut funnel stands, that produce year after year.
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 pm

I have to laugh a bit on this one. I own an assault and am quite a bit bigger than the previous guys. 6'7" and wear size 16 boots. I will say that it's awfully tight up there and takes some practice learning how i can reposition my boots on that tiny spot but I do really like the stand.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Here is a side by side comparison of my set ups in case anybody wanted to compare.

2010 Assault on left and 2012 Alpha II on right.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”