Visualization and the small details

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Visualization and the small details

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:46 pm

One of the things I notice as a common thread to most avid and successful hunters, is how they pay attention to the small things, and always being aware of their surroundings, and being mentally prepared.

Looking at things from the deer perspective. Getting in a bed, visualizing what a buck can see, smell, hear. Looking at how hunters move to stand where they park,and thinking how a buck will react, and using other hunters to their advantage. Tracking a buck, and seeing things from his perspective. When on stand, visualizing a bucks approach, so at the moment of truth, the focus and the shot becomes instinctive.

Does this come from experience? Is it a thought process? When in the woods, how do we all visualize and prepare ourselves? Some of the small things can make the difference.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Visualization and the small details

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I like to get to my hunting area early enough so I can take my time walking in. I like to look for fresh sign and slow to the pace of the woods before climbing into my stand. Small details also go with equipment prep. I was going to start a thread about all the hard learned lessons I got over the years because of not paying attention to small details.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Tadmdad... thats a good post!

Knowing enough to make a post like that, you are probably pretty aware of the the little details yourself.

I cannot speak for a hunter that has the talents you mentioned, but I would imagine they come from experience.
However, at the same time, when we read others comments that do have these talents, sure, I think we can be taught the valuable lessons from magicman54494 and others has learned through trials and errors.
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:53 pm

I agree that experience is where it's at. I think that being aware that there are those little things that make a difference is a big step in the right direction. I would think the next step would then be trying to observative, reflecting on why things happen, and how you could change them.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm

backstraps wrote:I cannot speak for a hunter that has the talents you mentioned, but I would imagine they come from experience.However, at the same time, when we read others comments that do have these talents, sure, I think we can be taught the valuable lessons from magicman54494 and others has learned through trials and errors.

Think that is what makes this forum unique, we can all share experiences in a open discussion, no right or wrong, just different experiences and observations.

A good friend of mine has a saying " a smart man learns from his mistakes, the sign of intelligence is learning from others mistakes"

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Tadmdad wrote:
backstraps wrote:I cannot speak for a hunter that has the talents you mentioned, but I would imagine they come from experience.However, at the same time, when we read others comments that do have these talents, sure, I think we can be taught the valuable lessons from magicman54494 and others has learned through trials and errors.

Think that is what makes this forum unique, we can all share experiences in a open discussion, no right or wrong, just different experiences and observations.

A good friend of mine has a saying [glow=red]" a smart man learns from his mistakes, the sign of intelligence is learning from others mistakes"[/glow]

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That would make a great signature on forum post!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”