Gorge hunting advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

Gorge hunting advice

Unread postby rochester coops » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 am

Looking to hunt a huge public gorge (Letchworth State Park) considered like a small version of the grand canyon. For a few reasons I plan on hunting the East side of the gorge (runs N-S) and wind prevails from the W. Don't see the classic wind tunnel effect of hunting the leeward side of a hill in this scenario as the gorge walls will climb to the east. However I'm sure the thermalls will be strong in there. You can watch the turkey vultures soar on the thermals rising out of the gorge. At the bottom are wetlands/grass along the river that runs through the gorge. There are multiple draws that run from the bottom up to the top. Anyway, do you think the prevailing wind will have any effect down at the bottom? If i can figure out how to post a topo later I will. Anyone hunted somewhere similar?

phade
500 Club

Re: Gorge hunting advice

Unread postby phade » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 am

People slam the bottom of that place opening day of gun season. Bears have moved in there pretty good. Quite a few people have lost carcasses to them the past couple years. Also know a few people who bring rigging gear to get the deer up from the gorge.

I know more people have been moving down there to hunt rather than up high, so you might have some competition.

I think the thermals/wind will be one of the three main issues...with other hunters and the bears.

You may have some swirling issues with any bends in the gorge.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”