Possible Booner?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Possible Booner?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:59 pm

I got video of this buck on July 20th. I lost the cord to put the video online so I took pics of the video I had. I videotaped this guy on our property and I know what bed he came out of that night thanks to spring scouting. Came out with another nice one on a Southwest wind. Ive got a plan set up for him.

Im curious as to what he would score? From my close friends Ive heard anywhere from 150 to 175 inches gross when he is all done growing. I think he will gross around 165. Also if you have any opinion on age I would love to hear that as well. Im thinking 5.5 yrs old this fall.

My dad and I found his set last Spring and he grossed 150 with a 17 inch spread estimate.

Here are his sheds found this last Spring.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Re: Possible Booner?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Not a booner. But a buck that almost nobody would pass up. Not trying to step on any toes but B&C deer are much more rare than people think. I have lived and hunted in Illinois my entire life and I have seen five bucks that would qualify for B&C and that includes hunting and a LOT of driving around and looking at deer. My part of Illinois is about the worst in the state but it is still Illinois and before the leasing thing took hold I hunted many counties. The buck you have there is exceptional but trust me when you see a buck that will go B&C there will be no doubt in your mind about it. Cant wait to see your pic with him this fall!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:21 pm

You are not stepping on any toes. He will score whatever he scores. This buck means alot not because of score but because of the history I have with him. He also seems to be fully mature which is a bonus.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I have a feeling you will get your chance at him! I can't wait to see a pic! He is a very mature buck for sure and the history with him only makes it sweeter!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

If thats july 20th i bet he'll be close to gross boone. No good angle to guess age. Beauty of a buck! Good luck! Sounds like you have a good plan coming together.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 pm

I think you are very close with your 165" estimate.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:43 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:If thats july 20th i bet he'll be close to gross boone. No good angle to guess age. Beauty of a buck! Good luck! Sounds like you have a good plan coming together.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

As I have learned on this site its all about the wind. Maybe Im making it too simple but if he came out to that field on a light Southwest wind with the proper moon phase I will be hunting that spot. The bed is 50 yards from the field edge so setup will be tricky. I dont have a stand in that spot. I will put it up the day I hunt it. He has two trails to choose to come out onto the field from his bed but I would assume he would use the lower elevation trail in the evening due to air flow dropping. Im no expert at deer hunting like some of you guys are but it seems like a logical plan to me. If I were to kill this buck I would feel very lucky and very humbled.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Your plan sounds like it has been well thought out and makes sense. I think your gonna get him. But that is not the important part. The important part is to have fun trying!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:Your plan sounds like it has been well thought out and makes sense. I think your gonna get him. But that is not the important part. The important part is to have fun trying!

Thanks! Im already having fun with it. September cant come soon enough! ;)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Will be easier to tell about score when the carpet is cleaned.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”