How old can a public land bigwoods buck live to?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Re: How old can a public land bigwoods buck live to?

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 am

" I realize it's a needle in a haystack and my chances of seeing or killing him are almost nill!!"

Take it back. I believe you can.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:29 am

Buckfever wrote:" I realize it's a needle in a haystack and my chances of seeing or killing him are almost nill!!"

Take it back. I believe you can.

Thank you Buckfever...It's big country but I do have the general area narrowed down. I believe he is bedding in thick creek bottom swamp and using that edge when he travels. I'll try to get a map up soon so the Beasts can mark it up some...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:34 am

OLD!!! With the huge big woods country In northern Minnesota I'd bet most die of old age. More then many think I believe. I'd bet some good money too that there's a world record or 2 up In northern Minnesota as well. There's so much public land In certain parts of northern Minnesota that's 20 to 25 miles off of roads that I know hasn't saw a person In years.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 am

Until last year, I never figured I'd see a real old one. I hunt on public land in E. Central wisconsin, so I figured 3.5 to maybe 4 might be the max for age, but my buck from last year was aged between 9-12yrs. I did some more exploring this year, and it makes sence, most of the spot is wet and full of tag alders/willow/grass over your head. not many place to sit from, and from the road, it looks like a normal wet area. but, man can they hide in it. found some huge beds a couple of weeks back. its going to be a good year. :mrgreen:
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm sure there are lots of mature public land bucks that go unoticed thier entire life. Think of Alberta. We're talkin' thousands and thousands of acres that a human will never set foot in and a buck may never see a human. SO, I just believe it's based upon the acreage, resources, food that what determines how long they can live to be. Not out of the question to see 10 or 11 years old, before thier teeth fall out!
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:Another point I should add is that when the DNR ages your deer it is a guess at best. They age them by tooth wear which is highly innacurate. Cementum analysis is the only reliable way to age a deer that is over 2.5 years old with the exception of having trail camera pics of the deer for years since 1.5 years of age. It's inexpensive. Just save the bottom jaw bone of your deer. There are scientists who do this and the accuracy is in the 90th percentile while the tooth wear method is much more inconclusive.

I agree 100%. I wish they would stop aging by tooth wear. I have seen. multple bucks that were known 2.5 and 5.5 plus go to the local biologist (jaw only) and all were said to be 3.5, lol. I sent my biggest buck's teeth in to deerage.com to have cementum analysis done. I guessed hime to be at least 5.5, but leaning more towards 6.5 because of the sheds from the previous year vs his current rack size (almost no gain). When the paper work came back they showed that he was indeed 6.5. It only costs like $25, well worth it IMO.
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 am

First off that target buck of your's is very impressive. Is he pictured on state land or private?
Also how's the chase going? In Michigan, mainly central, it's very hard for a deer to reach 2.5 let alone 3.5, but in remote area's that have little to no pressure im sure they can reach 5.5 years. I had trail cam pics of a buck on state land from 1.5, 2.5, then he disappeared for a year and on Nov 7th the following season I shot him. He was 4.5 was a 132 inch ten point and weighed in at 267 dressed with a 27in neck. His rack was a 10 from year 1.5. Now I've heard in the UP were area's are way more remote deer can live to be older, and in southern michigan alot of guys are passing and practicing QDMA so they live to be older also, which those deer do go to state lands during dispersal and pressure. In gratiot county it's very hard for a buck to reach 3.5 years old and in 20 years of hunting I've only seen a handful shot that have reached that age. Since I started using a trail cam, I've found that it's very rare to see a 4.5 nighttime or daytime photos'.
Rhino Hunter

Unread postby Rhino Hunter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am

I hunt in the big woods in Da' UP, eh. I shot a buck that was aged at 6-1/2 years old. One of my hunting buddies shot a doe years ago that was aged at either 9-1/2 or 10-1/2 with her teeth worn down even with the gums. The DNR didn't think she would have made it through another winter.

Rhino Hunter
Rhino Hunter
(2005 Yamaha Rhino: Camo, 28" Mudlites, 3500# winch)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm

How old can they get?

Depends on how many cabin feeders they hit in a night. ;)
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

This buck we found dead this fall, public land. I knew him since finding his sheds in the spring of 2008 and know he was at least 9 years old when he died.

I am working on writing up the story of this deer...its a long one. I do believe old bucks like this are the exception rather than the norm but they are out there, more common than a lot of people think once you really get to know the deer in an area.
hemlock

Unread postby hemlock » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 am

in northern wi i seen them as old as 8 years old and the average age of the bucks are 5.5

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”