Hot Summer/Poor Crop Conditions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Busch Light Bandit

Hot Summer/Poor Crop Conditions

Unread postby Busch Light Bandit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:55 am

I'm wondering if there has been a change in activity due to the hot summer here in SE Wisconsin. I know we had a very dry spell and crops aren't making their full potential. There are many areas that normally would have some wet spots, that have all dried up. I have had a camera out for a few weeks and haven't seen the normal activity that I have seen in recent years. Your thoughts?

All good things come to those who shoot straight
goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Hot Summer/Poor Crop Conditions

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:49 am

The creek that is normally6 inches deep by 3 feet wide on our property is bone dry.Not much sign of deer useing the food plots yet either.The middle of August is when I usually start to get good buck pictures so we will see.....
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:07 am

We have had a much more wet year than you guys and I was under some MONSTEROUS oaks yesterday that were dropping some.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:39 am

Central Illinois has been in pretty bad shape. They just started getting some spotty rain here and there. We haven't had the bucks on camera like last year either. We did get a good Bachelor group last week. 5 bucks, all 8 or better and four definite shooters and also have three more hanging around that haven;t gotten too many pics of.

The creek we have running through the property does have a small artisian well that bubbles up and into the creek. It has been trickling every time I've checked it over the past two years and I'm hoping its running still. Its just in a tough spot to walk to in the summer but I'm keeping my fingers crossed its still going.

Crops are pretty bad, haven't seen any corn over 6 feet when last year it was well over 8 ft, ears look horrible too. Beans are a lost cause as well. There still some around that haven't made it over a foot. I'm still keeping my hopes up for the fall and it looks like some cooler weather is going to sit over the area for a while. Well needed relief!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”