Using cameras to move deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Re: Using cameras to move deer

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Stanley wrote:

This buck I named the Beave. I had this buck patterned the same year (07). I set up on him and everything went perfectly. He came by the stand at 10 yards. Unfortunately his entire right beam was busted off, had about a 2 inch stub. I let him go. I never saw that buck again that year or the next year and then the year after that he showed up again.

Do you have a pic of him then?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

GRFox wrote:
Stanley wrote:

This buck I named the Beave. I had this buck patterned the same year (07). I set up on him and everything went perfectly. He came by the stand at 10 yards. Unfortunately his entire right beam was busted off, had about a 2 inch stub. I let him go. I never saw that buck again that year or the next year and then the year after that he showed up again.

Do you have a pic of him then?

Yes I do.

I took a friend of mine hunting with me, set him up on the buck and he arrowed him (scored 152 +). I think the buck may have scored better in 07 than he did in 09.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:15 am

I know that I have moved a couple deer around and changed their routines by my intrusion - and this includes using trail cameras. I have just recently tried to put the cameras up in trees and hidden - I got one big buck in particular that over the past two years has really grown irritant of the cameras. I am hoping that one of these "hidden cameras" up in the tree will catch him here shortly. If not, I am going to completely remove myself from the area until the opener.

Some cameras make a small noise when taking a picture - I know that spooks them at times. Others are covered in human scent. Some aer large, blocky, and visually disturbing. There are plenty of reasons why they spook deer - but overall I think they are fun to use so I continue using them regardless of their downfalls.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 am

My thinking is along of the lines of Stanley's. With as unpredictable as we "know" bucks are, I really don't think a person can really assume that just by having a camera in an area it will change their patterns. They most likely do these on their own.

I think of it this way, a camera picks up what? A 30' area give or take? So if a deer(buck, doe) happens to step on one side of some dead fall for whatever reason...you get them on cam. If they happen to start using the other side of the dead fall for no other reason than they do, you don't get them. I tend to believe it's not because the camera is there, I believe it's just what they started doing differently. But for zero reason.

Can you go into an area, bugger it all up and move a deer on purpose? I'm sure you could. Very low impact in checking cameras, hanging a quiet camera high, gloves...rubber boots, I believe does very little to relocate deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”