cwoods - let's see your stuff - IF you will...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

cwoods - let's see your stuff - IF you will...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I just read another post of yours that seemingly makes sense - as usaual....
You bring some interesting perspectives and hoped you could share some stories and wall memories with the Beast?
How bout it sunshine? 8-)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cwoods
500 Club

Re: cwoods - let's see your stuff - IF you will...

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Ed, I must say Im humbled for you to start a thread with me being the topic of discussion however I am not worthy of such a thread man. Im just a blue collar fella from the south who works hard and loves his family. I have a wonderful wife and two little girls who are 2 and 1. So my time and resources are restrainded but it doesnt keep me out of the whitetail woods. Im going into my 4th year of bowhunting this season and just dont have the horn on the wall for anyone to take me too serious. As a matter of fact Ive only got one buck, my first and only on the wall. A 117 gross NC buck. Down here a 100" buck makes the "big" buck list. I have great hunts every year w/ mature encouters just yet to consist kill those bucks. So I'll keep chiming in when I feel like I have something to offer from my experiences in the whitetail woods or have a question. In between I'll just keep lurking and reading about everyone else's hunting. Most of my tatics are common sense, bull headed, and beast learned. In fact I want to thank Marty (Zap) for turning me onto the site. He would always take the time to anwswer mapping and scouting questions thru PMs on archery talk. I know I annoyed the fella but he is a big reason to why I have seen some of the many ways of the whitetail buck. Dan completely changed my hunting outlook and really I pay attention to what guys are here are doing. Like if spy, bucky, magic, the young kid, moondude, autumn ninja, and others, if they are chiming in Im paying attention and relating it my hunting. I will say when I see pics of midwest "thickets" I laugh b/c in NC that would be a clearing in some of my spots. Ed, again thank you but, Im going to have to leave it at that. Maybee in about 5 yrs when Im less green and have more mature bucks down I can give the site more insight on these creatures we pursue! How about we hear from you and your tatics and sucesses and heck even failures. We can learn alot from our failures. God bless- Chris
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:08 pm

The young dude I was referring to was PredatorTC, Sorry man I forgot your name and even user name.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Well Chris I think thats a great response and thanks for taking the time! :clap:

I too can relate and we seem to be about in the same spot (hunting career wise).
I myself have way too many mature deer strories of the one's that got away than I care to write about - wish they were pictures and mounts ;)
Keeps me dreaming and coming back though (which is part of the chase)
Some take longer than others I suppose and there is no substitute for experience, especially in thick contry or big woods.

It is a great site for all to learn from and I'll type at you soon buddy ;)
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Cwoods is good people. Perfect example of how you can't kill big deer if they aren't there. Seems like you definitely "get it" but the big deer just aren't there. I bet you will get on what big deer are there. Glad to have you around here, thanks marty for inviting him - he also gave me the invite!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Meant to say *God bless, sorry for not catching that when reviewing what I typed.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:58 pm

moondoondude wrote:Cwoods is good people. Perfect example of how you can't kill big deer if they aren't there. Seems like you definitely "get it" but the big deer just aren't there. I bet you will get on what big deer are there. Glad to have you around here, thanks marty for inviting him - he also gave me the invite!

Thanks man, glad you came over. I feel like I get more detailed intail from you over here. Your good people too.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Cwoods is very good people...I knew him from bowhunting.com.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 am

moondoondude wrote:Cwoods is good people.
Perfect example of how you can't kill big deer if they aren't there. Seems like you definitely "get it" but the big deer just aren't there. I bet you will get on what big deer are there.
Glad to have you around here, thanks marty for inviting him - he also gave me the invite!

That's kind of what I meant with this statement - although I poorly wrote it and is incomplete... I appologize if it was taken any other way!
"Some take longer than others I suppose and there is no substitute for experience, especially in thick contry or big woods."

I wouldn't have requested stories if I wasn't impressed...

- I'm kind of in the same boat...
People don't come from around the country to whitetail hunt in NH, just not the numbers like in the MidWest...
Too many woods and lower deer densities = low hunter success, not to discount no QDMA, CRP, crops, etc...
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:10 am

I think ZAP is responsible for telling 90% of the members who came from ArcheryTalk about this forum, including myself.

Thanks Zap for all the promoting.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
moondoondude wrote:Cwoods is good people.
Perfect example of how you can't kill big deer if they aren't there. Seems like you definitely "get it" but the big deer just aren't there. I bet you will get on what big deer are there.
Glad to have you around here, thanks marty for inviting him - he also gave me the invite!

That's kind of what I meant with this statement - although I poorly wrote it and is incomplete... I appologize if it was taken any other way!
"Some take longer than others I suppose and there is no substitute for experience, especially in thick contry or big woods."

I wouldn't have requested stories if I wasn't impressed...

- I'm kind of in the same boat...
People don't come from around the country to whitetail hunt in NH, just not the numbers like in the MidWest...
Too many woods and lower deer densities = low hunter success, not to discount no QDMA, CRP, crops, etc...

No need to appologize Ed, you didnt offend me in any way!

NC has lots of negatives but hey its where I was born and raised and its home to me. Everywhere has its negatives I supposse. We get two weeks of bow then muzzleloader comes in and two weeks later gun season comes in and it last until Jan 1. My part of the state you can shoot up to 4 bucks a year. So this year Im looking forward to doing more public land hunting in the western region. A few years back the cut the buck limit down to 2 and it is going a long ways to improve the odds that bucks reach maturity. Also the gun season is shorter. Im just trying to improve my odds, by hunting a better part of the state. I look forward to dragging a P&Y NC buck out of the woods and sharring it with yall this year.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:25 am

GRFox wrote:I think ZAP is responsible for telling 90% of the members who came from ArcheryTalk about this forum, including myself.

Thanks Zap for all the promoting.

Nice, Marty is a great ambassador to the site and must be selective about who he invites. :shhh:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 am

All that matters "size wise" is that your shooting the best in your area... There is nothing wrong with a 100 inch deer shot in North Carolina...
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 pm

^Thanks Dan, thats a good outlook to have.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Chris, good stuff, but this thread is gonna die with us all congratulating Zap for inviting everyone (and no disrepect Marty, thanks for all you do).

I am with Ed, you are a very good student of the game, and should be able to help us all grow. Great job of stating where you are in your hunting. Now, Anything you want to share about the one nice buck you did get.

Or maybe a few encounters with bucks that didn't ride home and what you would change.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”