wind change while on stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

wind change while on stand

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 am

I would like to start a discussion about wind changes.

Lets say you are just settled in your stand. Wind shifts and now is staying constant...but blowing in a direction that isn't good for your set up.

Tell me how you would handle this....and give me a scenario to your reasoning.

Thanks!

( I just realized this post puts me in the club...500 club) :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JV NC
500 Club

Re: wind change while on stand

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:39 am

Go to another spot.....or, go home.

Either way, I'm not staying there.
Lateral Bowhunter
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 am

JV NC wrote:Go to another spot.....or, go home.

Either way, I'm not staying there.

Yep.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 am

What if the bedding area is off a point a buck could move a short distance and still bed the same point. Do you look for multiple stand sites for each if your bedding areas? I was thinking surely many points would have more than one wind dependant bed?

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:31 am

In a lot of the big buck bedding areas, I've found that there are not too many options for stand placement which is one reason the buck beds there. More often then not, if the wind shifts, it's game over, time to get out of there. But in some cases, I have tried shifting to a different ground location.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 am

What if the bedding area is off a point a buck could move a short distance and still bed the same point. Do you look for multiple stand sites for each if your bedding areas? I was thinking surely many points would have more than one wind dependant bed?

What I've witnessed (and, this isn't real popular around here), is the bucks I seem to be hunting utilizing bedding AREAS. It's just my opinion....but, how smart would it be to go to the same 3'x4' area - regardless of wind/thermals/etc...?

So, to answer your question (for me, as I can't speak for these other guys) - heck yes a buck will move and bed in a wind-dependent bed on a point....or, maybe even to the leeward side, altogether (I think this is likely), again, wind/thermal-dependent. When I think of bedding area, I'm not at all thinking of a very small place. I live on 3ac's. I can't imagine a buck here bedding in this small of an area in every wind. I rarely hunt when I'm not in a climber (I'm lucky to have an abundance of climb-able trees, here). If I was able to set stands (I also have to worry about theft), I'd have stands hung on the tracts I hunt around the AREA.

These are just my opinions. YMMV.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 am

Bucks will move if there is another good bed in close proximity... Your 1st question seemed to be directed towards the wind effecting the hunter? But your second question makes me think your referring to what the buck will do... Regardless to whether the buck moves or not, he ain't going far, and you already dirted the spot so continue your hunt... If you were referring to the wind blowing from the hunter towards bedding or where the buck will wind you, move. But I would try and still hunt that spot, cause you already got your scent in there.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 am

I agree with Dan, the bridge is burnt, whether he smells you in the tree or after you have left, the bridge is burned so you might as well make the best of it and hope terrain features block or carry your scent somewhere else. If you have a spot where you still have a crack at that buck in another nearby spot based on wind that favors that spot it might be worth hunting there if possible, but if your next spot is 30 miles away you might as well hunt it because it will be weeks or months before you return anyway.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am

dan wrote:Bucks will move if there is another good bed in close proximity... Your 1st question seemed to be directed towards the wind effecting the hunter? But your second question makes me think your referring to what the buck will do... Regardless to whether the buck moves or not, he ain't going far, and you already dirted the spot so continue your hunt... If you were referring to the wind blowing from the hunter towards bedding or where the buck will wind you, move. But I would try and still hunt that spot, cause you already got your scent in there.

well said X3 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Yeah I would not climb down unless a doe comes by and busts me and starts blowing like crazy. Finish out the hunt! You never know?? There could be a terrain feature or variance between the transition line and the bedded buck that doesn't tip him off to your presence. Either way he's gonna eventually smell you were hunting there even if the wind was good.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I agree with Dan, the bridge is burnt, whether he smells you in the tree or after you have left, the bridge is burned so you might as well make the best of it and hope terrain features block or carry your scent somewhere else. If you have a spot where you still have a crack at that buck in another nearby spot based on wind that favors that spot it might be worth hunting there if possible, but if your next spot is 30 miles away you might as well hunt it because it will be weeks or months before you return anyway.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

I wasn't saying stay in the tree if the wind is blowing in a bad direction... I would get out of the tree, if time allows climb another, if not set up on the ground... But don't leave and burn the bridge. Sometimes you can have bad wind direction, and still be ok, at least if you made it to the tree ok. Checking with milkweed to see exactly what the air is doing, whether its rising, dropping, swirling, or gravitating towards an opening, can all make or break you in this type of situation.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

dan wrote:Bucks will move if there is another good bed in close proximity... Your 1st question seemed to be directed towards the wind effecting the hunter? [glow=red]But your second question makes me think your referring to what the buck will do...[/glow] Regardless to whether the buck moves or not, he ain't going far, and you already dirted the spot so continue your hunt... If you were referring to the wind blowing from the hunter towards bedding or where the buck will wind you, move. But I would try and still hunt that spot, cause you already got your scent in there.

I was actually curious about if the wind changed directions and the possiblity of the buck moving out of his bed. Should a hunter while scouting be looking for multible trees to allow moving the set up.

But afterwards I thought if the buck moves from his bed, it wouldnt go far, and the hunter may at least get to see the buck and the direction he leaves out. Maybe capitalize the following evening.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm

I think looking for a "plan b or C" is always key and is one of the primary reasons for scouting, other than finding where the bucks are living. The more options the better.

If the wind switches while on stand and blowing straight to the deer, better to bug out and try a better spot. (time permitting) A mature deer will not walk to the smell of human scent.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”