Hunting directly over the bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Hunting directly over the bed

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:38 am

I think Andrea has done this with success but has anyone else done it? I've got two spots/situations where I can not think of any other way to hunt the spots. Have you done it? If so can you tell me how you pulled it off?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting directly over the bed

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 am

The biggest buck I ever shot was actually "bump and dump" style over the bed, however the shot was not true and the buck escaped. I have had it work on many bucks that I have passed, but ain't killed one over the bed in the AM yet.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 am

Dan that's interesting. Do you feel you must get extremely high in the tree for scent reasons when attempting this? assume the only time to try it is when the moon phase is right or due to weather conditions. I know it's incredibly risky but one of these beds gets used a lot and the only tree big enough for a stand is directly over his bed. I thought about using a pit blind instead but found that it is illegal to do so on public land here.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:42 am

jonsimoneau wrote:Dan that's interesting. Do you feel you must get extremely high in the tree for scent reasons when attempting this? assume the only time to try it is when the moon phase is right or due to weather conditions. I know it's incredibly risky but one of these beds gets used a lot and the only tree big enough for a stand is directly over his bed. I thought about using a pit blind instead but found that it is illegal to do so on public land here.

I do not think its important to be really high... I would expect the buck to come in wind to back most likely.

The main reason I have not shot many right at the bed, is there is not a lot of set ups in the marsh where you can get directly over the bed... Works best probably in hill country....
The other reason is I have just started to figure the moon thing out (thanks to Andrae ) about 6 or so years ago...
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:53 am

If you had a specific bed that's getting pounded, why couldn't you (or why wouldn't you) get in there around 1am or so and just wait for legal light, regardless of the moon?

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:If you had a specific bed that's getting pounded, why couldn't you (or why wouldn't you) get in there around 1am or so and just wait for legal light, regardless of the moon?

I would be REALLY tired if i did that!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:43 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:If you had a specific bed that's getting pounded, why couldn't you (or why wouldn't you) get in there around 1am or so and just wait for legal light, regardless of the moon?

Most of the time I have had a buck come in before light they seem to bust me, or they bed down, and stay down with no shot offered. The longer you are within close proximity to a mature buck, the more likely he busts you.
Thats not to say that it couldn't or wouldn't work. Just saying it sounds easier than it is.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm

If a bed is getting pounded I would think the buck would just switch beds, but I have done what you are suggesting and it worked great. Unfortunately they turned out to be 2.5 year old bucks. You need to be sure your going to have a steady constant wind, good cover and plan to stay all day in case you don't get a shot. You also have to make sure he won't get too close and cross your scent trail. I did have one 3.5 year old come in once, but he bedded a little further than I wanted to shoot. He got up a few times during the day for a bite to eat, but never went more than about 7-8 yards from his bed before returning to it and there was always brush blocking a shot. He arrived well before daylight and didn't stand up to leave until it was almost to dark to see.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:57 pm

This might sound a little crazy guys. But the two spots I am talking about are the size of your kitchen. Patch of willows with short prarie grass surrounding it. There is only one bed in each of them and they are directly, and I mean directly under the only tree big enough for a stand. One of them for sure gets used alot by a very large 10 point. I found him there last year and he is using the same bed this year. I have considered using a 1200 grain arrow like what Monty Browning uses and taking a straight down shot at the buck if he beds there. But even with an arrow that heavy, I felt that the shot would be iffy at best and probably not a good idea.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Why would you plan to use a heavier arrow? I would never take a straight down shot, but to each their own. Sounds like a bad situation, as the deer will likely be facing you due to his approach, likely giving you no shot. Any chance you could stack some brush in a couple spots as cover and hope he gets used to them before season? I have a bed Id like to hunt, but the only tree that will hold a stand is 15yds from the bed. Even that feels to close for my comfort, cause there isnt a clear shot at the bed and if he doesnt present a shot when he shows up, the likely hood of him getting up and offering a shot are slim as well. Plus thats a long time to be sitting motionless.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

I just want to add that I did not get out there at 1:00am. I have talked about doing that a lot though. :lol: I tried to be in my stand by 3:30am but didn't make it until 4:00am sometimes. I haven't done it in years and I have very little interest in doing it again. It's just to dang hard on this old boy.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

Hunting that many hours of non productive time would burn anyone out fast. Plus if you did that you'd be zombied for any evening hunts. Part of being consistently successful is time in stand management. If you did that too many days in a row you'd experience sleep debt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 am

Stanley wrote:
K

Hunting that many hours of non productive time would burn anyone out fast. Plus if you did that you'd be zombied for any evening hunts. Part of being consistently successful is time in stand management. If you did that too many days in a row you'd experience sleep debt.

Very good point

[ Post made via Android ] Image
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:23 pm

1am was an exaggeration, but if I knew a buck was almost completely nocturnal and I had nothing to lose, i'd give it a go at least. I don't think anyone could do it regularly though. I would try it more as a last resort option, most likely 2-3 hrs before sunup

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”