Hunting as an icebreaker

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Hunting as an icebreaker

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:42 am

My wife and I just bought a house and moved into a new area. It's a rural area and my nearest neighbor is about 1/2 mile up the dirt road. I heard that one of my neighbors was into archery hunting, so I decided to stop and introduce myself. After I shook his hand and explained that I just moved into the house up the road, I mentioned that I heard he likes to archery hunt.

"C'mon in", was his reply.

I walked into his house and he had 3 whopper bucks hanging on his wall, surrounded by coyote mounts, a turkey mount, and his newly purchased bow on the bar. I just met the man, but we talked for 45 minutes about hunting and different tactics like we had known each other for years.

As I got back in my truck and headed home, it amazed me, that one simple question could break the ice like that, and I could feel the hunter's bond with a guy I had literally just met. It was so neat listening to him recount the story of how he shot his biggest buck and when I would ask him questions such as what part of the season it was, or how the wind direction was, etc., it seemed to fuel his enthusiasm because he could tell that I wasn't a weekend warrior that dabbled in hunting, archery consumed my life.

Hunting is more than a hobby, it's a way of life. I have no doubt that if I ever ran into the majority of the members on the Beast, that with one simple question like that, we would start a terrific discussion/relationship. In fact, I hope to someday meet a lot of the members of my online hunting family: the Beast! ;)

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Hunting as an icebreaker

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:46 am

Very cool story! The hunting common bond is pretty strong!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:01 am

We were just about to have our first baby and were interviewing daycare providers, I was falling asleep until somehow bowhunting came up. Next thing you know the guy was showing me a deer he shot and we talked fishing/hunting for a while. Yep they have been our daycare provider for almost 5 years now. We are both pretty busy but we get in a handful of hunting/fishing outings every year.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:16 am

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”