My Critical Thinking/Input Needed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

My Critical Thinking/Input Needed

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 pm

While Scouting this pass weekend ( IN THE RAIN, MORE RAIN, I LOVE RAIN RIGHT NOW!)

Anyway, while scouting this pass weekend. Our prevailing wind blows into the NE. If I crested a hill onto the
Leeward side, 9 times out of ten, about 1/3rd of the ways down the leeward side or close to 1/3rd, there was a trail.

These trails were worn, heavily used trails.

So here are where my questions comes in:

1) If a deer travels from bed to food, in NO particular wind, why would these trails be so heavily used. I realize they are walking in the tunnel. BUT, again, why would the tunnel trail be so heavily used in almost every instance I looked at?

2) I know of a food source (a professional blend ag field) on the very bottom of a ridge that the deer feed into in the evening. There is a trail that leads from the bedding point around the 1/3rd line until it comes to a "slight" draw (over a 100 yards away), and then the trail litterally shoots straight down the draw into a low spot entering the field?

This particular low spot in the field they are entering, is almost like the position of being bedded. Meaning, when they walk in the field theyre below a field ridge in front of them, wind coming over the ridge dropping right into the deers face.

JV NC
500 Club

Re: My Critical Thinking/Input Needed

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 pm

First thing I'd ask you is.....do you know what's making the trail(s)?

Sounds like does, to me.
Lateral Bowhunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”