Which state?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Public land deer hunt, which state and why?

a. Ohio $149 license fee good for bow and gun
63%
b. Indiana $230 license fee good for bow and gun
3%
c. Wisconsin $160 for bow, $160 for gun
20%
d. Northern Kentucky $180 license fee good for bow and gun
13%

Total votes: 30
phade
500 Club

Re: Which state?

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Ohio...way too much sense from a MI point view. Close, plenty fo access, and for the amount of legwork put in, you can have some great spots with less pressure than you would think.

Most people go the easy route and look up the wma's, big state or national forests, etc. That's where you really find the pressure. The key is to do a little keyboard and phone-based research. I spent probably 20 hours last year on it (during the course of post-season, early spring, etc., just wasting time on the 'net), and scored access to four private lands in different parts of the state (400+ acre farm, a 50+ acre parcel, a 70+ acre parcel, and a 20 acre parcel), some public land that had zero bow pressure, and a few back up spots where the pressure was high but big deer were still there and active.

I really don't like to say it on a forum, but really, I found it easier to get quality access there as an out-of-stater, than I do here in my home state of NY and in my local area, even.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”