A day of scouting in my mind verses a 6-year old...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

A day of scouting in my mind verses a 6-year old...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:06 am

It was to be Jake's first time to hunting camp on Thursday night.
I had the truck loaded with tree stands, our ATV's, sleeping bags and brownies he and Mommy made for us.
I left work a little early so we could get to camp and unpack before starting a campfire to roast our hotdogs!
Needless to say the little Jakester was pumped!!!

The first order is to pull off the side of the road to unlock the chain and of course it's met with "why are you unlocking the chain Daddy"?
Jake also wanted to know "why the grass hadn't been mowed" as we plowed up the driveway - too funny!
After parking the rig we went inside to open the windows and air out the camp from last Dec.
We also brought in some kindling wood that I stocked pile for the coming autumn months, so the work was done and it was ATV time - "Right Daddy"...
So that meant laps around the old apple orchid for two hours!

The evening had a nice breeze coming off the Mtn. which helped keep it comfortable considering the temp showed high 80's & humid.
Hot Dogs followed by Marshmillows followed by Brownies meant Jake wouldn't fall asleep too quickly - I found this out later that night!

The next morning I was awaken by a little person standing beside me talking loudly and saying "I love you Daddy", although a nice gesture still a little early to be startled out of a dead sleep - kid or not...
After coooollecting myself (thats' what Dad's do) we had PopTarts and milk.
The topic was "let's race each other when we're done breakfast Daddy" - not quite sure where this came from but made me chuckle - trying to show his old man up already!!!

Of course I told him it was too early for racing and let's go up the Mtn. to look for a good spot for Daddy to shot a buck.
So on the back of my ATV Jake went - to an area that was recently strip logged to look for tracks and deer sign!
Placed a few trailcams for some recon b4 commiting to a stand location this early, hopefully a few good ones show up?!

Back down to camp and mooooore ATVing, and by now we had made a few trails in the woods so this was super exciting for Jake!
While he rode I walked the perimeter of the camp while he blasted away...

Then while I was a few hundred yards away I hear the ATV stop and Jake yelling for me - so I'm off on a dead run to find out his troubles!
I break into the field and he is dancing around "Reallly Neeeding to go Pooopy!" So I start laughing and he starts wimpering while scolding me "it's not funny cause I have to go in that house toilet".
Well Jake - that's called an "outhouse" and unless you want to hug a tree you will have to use it.
I can't Daddy it's got spiders in their!
So rest assured I "De-Spidered" the house toilet prior to Prince Jake's usage - while he continued his little dance - LOL!

Now to paint a small image - my son gives birth when he goes number two and it's a +20-minute experience (he already reads toy magazines while passing time)...
As I sat in the lawn chair waiting to be summoned for wipe duty I hear pushing, grunting, heavy breathing and no less than 60-seconds later "OK DADDY - I'm Done" with great delight!!!

I had tears in my eyes wondering WHAT was going through his little mind as he sat in the "Spider Infested House Toilet"!!!

Of course when we got home he told Mommy about the ATVing, then my wife asked what else was fun or happened and the drama of his spider story had us laughing again!

[glow=red]ADD Your Kid Srories![/glow]

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: A day of scouting in my mind verses a 6-year old...

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 am

Cool story Ed. Great experience for the both of you. And for crying out loud, get some fiber into Jake. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 am

Lifes about memories Ed, sounds like you guys made some great ones! 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 am

Awesome story Ed! Good times

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm

That story put tears in my eyes :lol: Reminds me of when my young son used the bathroom only once a week and he would be hollering it hurts it hurts ! We laughed but he didn't.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Cool story Ed. It's fun to see the world thru a young persons' eyes. They remind us of all the stuff we overlook.
I took my son squirrell hunting once and he just could'nt sit still because there was a dead leaf hanging on a branch twirling in the breeze. That leaf was bugging him so I finally told him to go pull it down. After pulling it down he was OK to sit still..... for a few minutes. :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 am

Awesome story Ed! Thanks for sharing. Thats the things that makes life so enjoyable! Love getting the little ones out and share what we adults enjoy so much. Passing along heritages, and making memories
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:02 am

forever memories 8-) nice story
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 am

Image great story
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”