wind tunnel thought

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

wind tunnel thought

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:28 am

If I were to set up on a ridge top say 30 feet up. Could I assume my scent would travel over the top of the deers bed (1/3rd of the way down leeward side) before my scent would fall....or up my scent fall below the buck and be drawn back to him from the rising thermal?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Edcyclopedia

Re: wind tunnel thought

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 am

I'm no wind wizard by any means but if you could get more of a cross wind I think it would help. (just off to the side)
Height will help but whether it's 20, 25 or 30 a quick check with some milk weed seed may do some justice?!!!

Do you feel the deer will come back up the hill when the time is right?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am

Just try it. What is the worse thing that can happen? You will either kill him or learn something. I refuse to be afraid of doing something wrong.

There is a saying my father in law says often, time to shoot the engineer and go to market. He was an engineer with an MBA( he's retired not dead).
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 am

the only way to figure that out is to try it in spring during scouting. see what happens with your milkweed....map it down so you know.... but i would keep in mind that different winds, and speeds of wind will have deer bedding in different elevation but still up in that 1/3 wind tunnel. i find a lot when im scouting in spring, that bucks will have one or two preferred beds with a off bed for that weird wind, all with in that point bedding area...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:33 am

another thing i do as others do... is try and get as high as possible to get over that tunnel.....i try and do that in every situation, unless its a touchy bedding area where the buck can see you setting up .....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:41 am

the deer being bedded, you are already busted. your scent will be blowing to him as you get to your tree. you need to be off to the side of the bed. get Dan's hill country bucks video. I'm not sure if you want to be above the deer. Dan explains tree stand placement when hunting hill country.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:00 pm

this is an example of how i set up ....ill make my access trail come in so my scent dose not cross paths with the deer tails and or blow into the bedding areas...i set up off to the side of the points where your scent is missing him....but if they do come in you will have to be above the thermal tunnel or they will wind you in most cases.... in some cases you can only get so high because of the vision factor
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:the deer being bedded, you are already busted. your scent will be blowing to him as you get to your tree. you need to be off to the side of the bed. get Dan's hill country bucks video. I'm not sure if you want to be above the deer. Dan explains tree stand placement when hunting hill country.

Thanks Brian, thats exactly right! I didnt think of that. I have the video and remember Dan also telling me in another post about being off wind. That is what I dont this evening while looking at the beddding area
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Here is what I was up to this evening:

My wind is prevailing into the NE here. I knew where a buck should be bedding from last 2 years visuals.
His bed, was there with 6 horn trees right against the bed, two of them were 2-3 years old. Other rubs leading out of the bed towards the top of the hill.

The wind was blowing into a different direction this afternoon with the incoming rain storm. SO, I thought with the wind being wrong for that bedding area, and rain coming, I could get in there investigate, make a plan on setting up on that bedding when the time comes right this season, and my scent would be washed away.

REMEMERING Dan telling me on another post about the "off wind" on a bedding area:
I pulled up my location on a topo. I followed the 1/3rd lone around to where I could get off wind of his bed, as well as his travel to food in the evening. This basically outs my stand location about 65 yards from his bed, on the opposite side of the point, on the same elevation line.

This thread was triggered from the woods today on my cell phone.

I realized the two HUG WHITE OAKS that the deer are hammering right now were directly above his bed. He is bedding just about 35 yards inside a woodlot.

So, scouting the 1/3 rd line getting off wind of his bed, will put me 38 feet in a popular tree with a good canopy of coverage behind my stand. The deer should exit his bed, walk to the edge of the woodlot, travel up towards the OAKS and cross my shooting path somewhere there abouts!

This tree under a wind blowing into the NE should put my scent blowing about 20-25 yards off wind of the deer traveling the trail up to the oaks.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Very good explanations and illustrations Big Hunt THANKS!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Here is where I was:

Still have not figured out how to zoom in on my topo before I edit with marks and dots :)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 pm

The wind tunnel will be different depending on the severity of the grade....70% grade will have a much lower tunnel than a 130% grade. As Bighunt stated, wind speed plays a major roll in where the wind tunnel will be also....slower wind speeds will be much lower on the hill than higher wind speeds.

In short, a very defined, step drop will cause a stronger vacuum....and the more wind speed you have will cause a stronger vacuum.

By the end of this year I should be able to look at a topo and tell you right where it (the wind tunnel) will be, by wind speed and grade of the hill.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:The wind tunnel will be different depending on the severity of the grade....70% grade will have a much lower tunnel than a 130% grade. As Bighunt stated, wind speed plays a major roll in where the wind tunnel will be also....slower wind speeds will be much lower on the hill than higher wind speeds.

In short, a very defined, step drop will cause a stronger vacuum....and the more wind speed you have will cause a stronger vacuum.

By the end of this year I should be able to look at a topo and tell you right where it (the wind tunnel) will be, by wind speed and grade of the hill.

I hope to be able to have a better idea myself! Big Hunt got me thinking about the wind speed etc!
I know the "normal" wind speed for me locally during early season is anywhere between 4-10 mph

That is something I will pay attention to for sure this season. I have not found the first milkweed pod anywhere around. Brother BLACK SQUIRREL sent me some pods....I have a sneaking feeling the seed that he sent will be planted and hoping they produce some plants next year :)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Great thread, up to the top for more viewing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”