Simple Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

j87harris

Simple Question

Unread postby j87harris » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:13 am

I am extremely new to THE BEAST site and this style of hunting. I have not had much help learning in my hunting career and am a little confused on some of the terminology used on this site.

So....
What exactly is the "leeward" side of a ridge that I read so much about?

And any other terminology that is used here frequently that you could define would be awesome and definately help my learning/understanding.

Jake

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Simple Question

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:18 am

it's the side of the ridge the that is on the opposite side of where the wind is coming from. so on a north south running ridge, if the wind is coming from the west, the east side would be the leeward side. the deer sit on the leeward side to get in the "thermal tunnel" created by the wind current and the thermals.
j87harris

Unread postby j87harris » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 am

Oh... Thank you Brian. That definition just clicked in my head and now I have a better understanding.

Correct me if I am wrong (anyone)

On a N to S ridge with the wind out of the W blowing E

Deer like the "leeward" side because the scent traveling through the bottoms and up the ridge from the W can be detected as the wind falls (at about the top 1/3 line) (ever notice thats where most mushrooms are found??) and the thermals bring the scent up from the bottom that the wind is not blowing across so when these thermals meet the wind it creates a wind "tunnel" that will run the length of the ridge? Meaning the deer are technically smelling from 3 directions leaving only 1 direction they need to keep an eye on?

Thank you,

Jake
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:37 am

If I understand correctly, the wind coming from the west will crest the ridge, meeting the uprising thermal from the eastern side of the ridge, creates a wind tunnel 2/3 of the way up on the easternly side (leeward side) of the ridge. This allows the deer to detect scent from both sides of the ridge.

As far as having three directions covered, I am not sure? The only way I can see the deer having more than two directions covered would be via visual and hearing.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 am

BTW, I am new to the Beast as well as the beast method of hunting. I am still learning. So post from me on the matter, is purely what I have came to understand in a short period :)
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 am

Jake... Thermals coming up + wind coming over the top of the ridge mix about 1/3 of the way down the ridge on the leeward side... If you got $15 bucks to spare buy the video from Dan in the store = Hill Country Awesome detailed explanations with diagrams and real world examples... You will learn new stuff guaranteed. Then read Mapping Trophy Bucks (book) by Brad Herndon... Will really up your understanding of deer movement in hilly terrain.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:54 am

Bucky wrote:Jake... Thermals coming up + wind coming over the top of the ridge mix about 1/3 of the way down the ridge on the leeward side... [glow=red]If you got $15 bucks to spare buy the video from Dan in the store = Hill Country Awesome detailed explanations with diagrams and real world examples... You will learn new stuff guaranteed.[/glow]Then read Mapping Trophy Bucks (book) by Brad Herndon... Will really up your understanding of deer movement in hilly terrain.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I bought the Farm and Marsh DVD's as well. You will pick stuff up from each video that will help you.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 am

The DVDs are a very good way to learn at home even.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 am

backstraps wrote:I bought the Farm and Marsh DVD's as well. You will pick stuff up from each video that will help you.

Farm DVD? Did I miss something??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 am

The old site came out with a Farm dvd.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”