Workman mentality the entire season or slow down and enjoy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Workman mentality the entire season or slow down and enjoy?

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 am

Do you stay hyperfocused the entire hunting season, moving from one kill to the next without blinking an eye and only to reflecting at the end of the season, or do you slow down and enjoy your successes?

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Workman mentality the entire season or slow down and enj

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:03 am

Ill let you know when I kill 3 or 4 mature bucks in one year.LOL....Right now I slow down and enjoy any mature buck I or any friend tags.Really any deer small buck or doe is a reason to slow down and enjoy a beer.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:04 am

Hyperfocus is a good thing and will generate more success.

However, I am trying to slow down and take a lot more of it in now.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:11 am

My goal is to kill one good buck a year bowhunting and although I hunt hard I still focus on enjoying every moment of the season wether I kill a deer or not. The last two seasons I did not kill a buck but in no way did that diminish the fun factor for me. I had some great encounters and passed on many great bucks. I enjoy every little detail of the hunt no matter what happens.

Not sure if that answers your question or not the way it was phrased but I rarely kill more than one deer in a season since I have been protecting the does to help the deer population the last 4-5 years.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 am

I only bowhunt, so I take a breather the first week of December for 6 day fire arms to about the 3rd week of December or Christmas, then go nuts again till end of winter bow the 3rd weekend of February. But family and work come first always.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 am

Well, a fellow needs to gut and drag...... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I figure if "old man Dan" can put in 5 days a week until he gets a beast, this spring like cat needs to be a workman as much as possible! :lol:
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

To be honest Brett....

The smell of fall excites me more than the kill.....I even look forward to it/enjoy it more.

Take it all in brother!!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:56 pm

I don't push it like I did years ago. I reach a point if I push too hard where it's just not fun anymore. I back off if I see that happening. Funny thing is my success is much better now days. My drive to kill a big one is still as strong as ever but I kinda take it as it comes.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I take it in stride, some hunts I go all out and other times I have the kids or friends along and thing are pretty relaxed. I'd love to hunt a lot more/harder but at this point in my life that isn't happening, when I do get time to myself I certainly try and make the most of it.
Last edited by headgear on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:21 pm

I plan on being hyperfocused on getting my daughter a shot at a deer this season. Later in the season (rut) when I have some time off, I will be focused on my own thing. It's not too hard to be hyperfocused when you look forward to archery season ALL year. I'm hyperfocused, but not in a crazy way.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:27 pm

When my focus is on quality more than quantity my success goes way up. If I find I am loosing focus I will back off and give myself a break.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 pm

virginiashadow wrote:Do you stay hyperfocused the entire hunting season, moving from one kill to the next without blinking an eye and only to reflecting at the end of the season, or do you slow down and enjoy your successes?

The past 4 years, I have been extremely hyperfocused on either an individual deer or I have just tried to cram in as many hunts as I could into one season. This coming year will be different. I actually seriously don't care if I take a good deer and I am just going to do my thing on my own time. I know I get too strategic and tactical with my hunts and I hunt from a strategical or tactical standpoint instead of just going out to enjoy myself. I will be very limited this year, so therefore I will just enjoy my time and try to do as many hunts as I can with a couple close others. I am sure I will have some type of opportunity and plenty of enjoyment.

When I am successful though, regardless of the time of the year, I do slow down if I get my target buck - I reflect a little bit and slow down and maybe take a couple days off or just chill out the next couple times in the tree.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:44 pm

I used to be hyper focused from season start to season end. I no longer am like that. I enjoy the hunt but other things give me peace now. Leaves turning and smelling great. If I walk down to get the mail I make sure I walk in the fallen leaves, love to hear that sound. I love a cold day with a little snow coming down sitting in a big old oak tree. If I kill a buck that's ok and if I don't that's even better. I get to do it all over again tomorrow.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:05 pm

After I tag one I really enjoy the rest ofmthe season...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”