Antler Development

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hill Hunter

Antler Development

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Based on the trail camera pictures I've gotten up to this point, the bucks seemed to vary greatly on how far along they are with antler growth. I had a terrible shed hunting season and it seemed the drop was very sporatic. Some very early, some in-between and some held onto them a long time. Do you think the varried growth is just a result of when they shed out?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Antler Development

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:02 am

I have always thought most antler growth started about the same time regardless of when dropped. Some say they start to grow as soon as they drop. Antler size contributes to a degree on how long it takes antlers to develop. Not all bucks start to grow horns at the same time. I talked to a guy from Oklahoma and he swears some bucks were dropping before the rut last year. So alot of variable come into play on when they are done growing. Around here most are done growing mid August and most are hard horned by Sept 15th.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”