When to get into stand on all day hunts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

When to get into stand on all day hunts?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am

When do you get to.the stand on those days you want to hunt from 10 to 2?days you are hunting funnels and pinch points.2 hours before day light? At day light? Grey light? Right before "Prime" time?(9 or so)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Uncle Lou

Re: When to get into stand on all day hunts?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Really when ever I can. But I started to try to hunt the almost famous 10am-2pm time slot about 15 yrs ago with very little luck. I abandoned this time slot in October. I was probably hunting it a wrong way and can't wait to see what others have to say.

In October and November during bow I still hunt mostly mornings and evenings, until they turn us loose with the guns. Then I creep bedding areas anytime I can
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I usually hunt doe bedding areas, so I try to get in there atleast 90 minutes before shooting light. Overkill...Probably so, but it has worked for me. I'll usually stay on stand until 2 or so. After 2 I will try and move where the does will exit the bedding areas on their way to feed. If I can, I try to break up all day hunts by moving with the deer so to speak.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:48 pm

The only time I do all day hunts with the bow is during the rut. At this time I really like to get in during grey light. I think it is best because I can see where I am going for a quiet approach and if there is deer activity in the fields i can see it, and if I move deer going in I know what they are and what they were doing. This will help me determine the days set sometimes.

For gun I like to get in 2 hours or so before light so when all of the guys that are scared of the dark start fumbling through the woods during grey light I am there to intercept the bucks they push.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I've never been one for all day hunts but this year I am really going to try. I got a couple good books ready for the season.

It seems like guys on here dont do dawn to dusk hunts on the same stand but rotate at some point during the day. I hope to really learn which stands to rotate to and from over the next month or so.

DropTyne, do you hunt near Baraboo? I'm up in Merrimac a good amount by Devils Head. Curious on how the deer herd is going there. Didn't see many deer at all up there this year. I remember in the late 90's we couldn't walk out of my Uncles place near devils head without having herds of them walking by. Seems like a lots changed since CDW, hopefully they are starting to rebound.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Bigb, I have only lived in Baraboo for a year, I moved from Green Bay, I have always hunted Waupaca county so last year was a complete learning year for me in Sauk county. I will say this, there are less deer than I see in Waupaca but the buck quality in the area is fantastic, Ive seen some real jaw droppers under spotlight, if you are after seeing quantities of deer this is not the ideal place, but if you are looking for 1 huge one it is as close to the promised land as I've ever been.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:25 pm

During the rut I try to be set up just as shooting light starts. Any earlier doesn't do me any good in that scenario, and I've just seen deer move at too many times during the day not to want to hunt dark to dark. Last year in a 3-day period I saw bucks move at 7:30am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 3pm, 5pm. As much as I'd like to just hunt a 10-2, where I hunt I simply can't afford to not hunt the whole day.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't usually hunt mid-day until Nov and even then my best luck has been between the 7th and 12th so those are the days I am in the stand for sure. Sometimes if I am seeing a lot of action on other days I will stay put, other times I plan to hunt all day and things are slow so I swtich it up. If I am hunting a spot for mid-day I do like to get be setup by 9:00 at the latest, not sure what it is but I always see deer around 9:00.
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Bigb wrote:I've never been one for all day hunts but this year I am really going to try. I got a couple good books ready for the season.

It seems like guys on here dont do dawn to dusk hunts on the same stand but rotate at some point during the day. I hope to really learn which stands to rotate to and from over the next month or so.

DropTyne, do you hunt near Baraboo? I'm up in Merrimac a good amount by Devils Head. Curious on how the deer herd is going there. Didn't see many deer at all up there this year. I remember in the late 90's we couldn't walk out of my Uncles place near devils head without having herds of them walking by. Seems like a lots changed since CDW, hopefully they are starting to rebound.

I was just in Boo this afternoon checking a couple cams and our food plot progress (poor). The late 90's to early 2000's was indeed peak for deer #'s in this area. Once CWD was discovered it really went downhill, mainly due to the excessive tags allowed (you can still get 4 doe tags PER DAY). That and the fact that the DNR "sharpshooters" baited and killed over 100 deer in about a 1x2 mile sq. Area right near our land. Sigh. However the last couple years seems like the numbers are improving some. I still wish they would can the October gun hunt, though.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 pm

I have sat one all day sit......and several of those famous 10-2pm.

The first all day sit I did was on Nov. 8th. I remember seeing a doe early on followed by a yearling 6 pt, then at 10:40am had a nice 8 pt come in with a broken tine but couldnt get a shot. Then sometime around noon saw a dandy buck cruising through about 100 yards off but he didnt come in. Then right at dark had a decent buck come in but me smelled me.

When I do the 10 am-2pm sits they are always on a specific saddle which has doe bedding on each side. Last year in early/mid Nov. I sat on this saddle and didnt see a thing. :? I was about to leave then saw a big buck running through an open field about 200 yards away. :roll:

Last year on Nov. 10th I sat from noon till dark and at 1:40pm watched a decent buck come in to some crp then to my surprise out jumped a nice 10 pointer that chased him off. The 10 pointer went back and bedded in the same spot. I noticed when I zoomed in with video cam he had a doe next to him. It was a great sequence to get on video. Unfortunatly I found that nice 10 pointer dead this spring looking for sheds.

Overall I would suggest hunting the 10am till 2pm during seeking and chasing because I would think the bucks bed before light in the morning and after resting a few hours get up and go to work again. JMO
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I will start doing all day sits when possible the last few days of october and into november until i'm tagged out. I like to be settled in before light and stay until dark. It is very tough to stay sometimes and isn't always productive. Bringing food, water is a must. I will also bring a book or headphones (only put one ear bud in) when I start getting burnt out, figure it's better to be there less than 100% focused than not be there at all. I will also move spots during the day if I start getting burnt out too to stay in the woods.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:42 pm

When I am doing all day hunts i get in same as always about 45 minutes before light. I do a bunch of all day sits every year. I wish I had more time so I could do more of them...you just never know when they will be up and moving around
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I've done dozens of all day sits. I am set and ready at least 30 minutes before daybreak. This year I plan to be in a tree from Oct.28th until I'm tagged out because I'll be on vacation....I've done like 6 all day sits in a row. 75 degrees even!! You never know!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 am

Personally, I think most hunters (meaning the gen pop and not necessarily Beast hunters) exaggerate things when it comes their all-day sits similar to their stand height, buck sightings etc.

Most hunters over-estimate how high their stands really are. I've seen this too much to think otherwise. Like that, many hunters claim all-day sits, but I bet a much smaller portion actually do, and much fewer string two or more in a row back to back. For most people, it's just not that easy to do. While the action is there, its often scattered about the day and the long dead action times really seem to overpower people's desire to make it dawn to dusk. A few people I hunted with early on would claim they do 5 or 6 all-day sits in a row, but after hunting with them on those days, we'd be back at the truck by 11-11:30, talk for a half hour, eat lunch, and talk for a half hour, and then go back to the same stand at 1. Either that or some excuse would come up like, "this place is dead" or "the deer only run through here in the a.m. if they do, so lets rest until the afternoon and we'll go to the other place."

I used to pull a ton of all-day sits when I was in my early 20s but unfortunately at that time, my learning curve and experience almost always put me just outside the action...and admittedly, it never paid off like it should have (had I known what I know now). After a disc surgery in my late 20s, I have back issues and get really stiff in a stand after even 2-3 hours. Now, I save my all-day sits for the right time, and I load up on Advil, Aleve, whatever, to make it work. I almost always will move stands sites during the rut at about 2:30 or so...even if that single stand is a good spot to hang for the day. I know I need to do this to "keep me in the game" because a short walk really does wonders for the back to stretch it out. If I do that right, I can string a handful of all-day sits together before needing some rest. I'm good for 5-6 all day sits in a season in an average year if I get the typical time in the field. It's certainly not easy and the old lady calls me stupid for it every time I get home and moan about my back.

The other thing I do, if my back is really cranked...is I'll set a blind up in a strategic spot if I know I'll be in the area for a few days. I'll sometimes head there for a few hours midday where I can get a bit more comfy, eat, and let the back stretch out before heading to another stand. I've shot a few deer doing that.

So I guess my point is...most people really overestimate their all-day sit "ability."
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:51 am

During pre-rut and rut I will get to the stand whenever time allows. Anywhere from before light to 9:00 am has worked for me during this time frame.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”