So your hunting beds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Finch85

Re: So your hunting beds...

Unread postby Finch85 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm

bowmike wrote:This has been one of the most informative threads I have read on any hunting forum but one thing I did not see was the times that you expect these bucks to get up and move. Here is my hypothetical scenerio.

I find a mature buck bed. I map it out and see the topo, and decide on the wind condition I will need to be able to hunt him. OK i check the forcast and everthing is right to hunt this buck. The valleys will warm and give me the right thermal tunnel. I now no its game time and check out my planned rout to get to this bed.

I am assuming i will have to go in 2 hours before it gets light to get to the tree as quite as I can. I use a climber so all summer I practice climbing to be a quiet as possible. I get up there, get settled, and everything is ready to go.

How long do you guys sit on stand then? Do you sit all day in this spot? Do you just hunt for the first few hours of morning, then leave? Are you going to hunt until this buck gets up from his bed within your sight?

This style of hunting reminds me of roosting turkeys, you have to do you homework to find where they are bedded. With deer you can at least anticipate where they will go off of the "roost" by knowing the wind and how the buck "should" travle once he leaves his bed.

When you find his bed in the early season/winter are you also looking for his trails to his bed. Is this how you determine what tree you will set up in giving what wind direction. od you find multiple trees for different wind instances? Basically you are waiting for "all the planets to allign" to set up on this tree. if one of the factors is not right, you do not hunt this stand.

Bringing this one back to life! I would like to hear more opinions on Mike's questions as well as a couple of my own.

How early can bucks return to their bed? I would assume they are trying to get back at least before it's first light. Would they get back hours before light?

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 am

Currently I'm finding beds then hunting downwind of them hoping buck returns. Until these east wind changes.

I hunt from time I spook thenm until dark. Haven't tried Am returns probably should.

Currently 1 in 6 bedding areas bucks returned sadly it was a 2 and a half year old.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:29 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Currently I'm finding beds then hunting downwind of them hoping buck returns. Until these east wind changes.

I hunt from time I spook thenm until dark. Haven't tried Am returns probably should.

Currently 1 in 6 bedding areas bucks returned sadly it was a 2 and a half year old.

Great info TennHunter! Be sure to do a write up after the season if you keep at it. Ill be tuning in. Things should start getting fun in the next few weeks and get some better action.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 am

I've been hunting early season beds in hill country for a couple years now with mixed results. I'm having a difficult time making it happen with the way our hills set up. I've had most of my success on days when the wind switches.

So i just watched the hill country dvd for the 5th time. One of Andre's bucks is bedding off a knob. When they show the map with wind direction, the wind ain't blowing straight down the point. It's an off wind, but this 200" deer still uses it because he believes it works for him.

I say this as an insight to anyone else who hasn't picked up on it because though it's been discussed i missed the practical application.

Perhaps big bucks have preferred bedding they want to be in even if the wind is off enough i can sneak in to get to get a shot. That'll be the adjustment to my tactics.

Am I on to something here?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”