your Craziest scouting tactic?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

your Craziest scouting tactic?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Whats your craziest scouting tactic that you have ever used when it came to finding or locateing a buck? Im looking for some outside the box thinking. For example, I am waiting for a good rain around midnight to go check a bed and see if a buck is still using it. THis way my scent will be washed away with the rain and my chances of bumping him could be slim. What odd tactics have you used?

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: your Craziest scouting tactic?

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:57 pm

I hunt away from home but some of my family lives where i hunt. So i bought my nephew a digital camera for his birthday. He does a lot of horseback riding so I told him to promise to bring it with him and take pictures of all the big bucks he spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 am

PredatorTC wrote:Whats your craziest scouting tactic that you have ever used when it came to finding or locateing a buck? Im looking for some outside the box thinking. For example, I am waiting for a good rain around midnight to go check a bed and see if a buck is still using it. THis way my scent will be washed away with the rain and my chances of bumping him could be slim. What odd tactics have you used?

wow thats a good idea......but what if its a night time bed and you kicked the buck out???
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:01 am

Swampthing wrote:I hunt away from home but some of my family lives where i hunt. So i bought my nephew a digital camera for his birthday. He does a lot of horseback riding so I told him to promise to bring it with him and take pictures of all the big bucks he spots.

Very nice, Swampthing- I like it a lot!

When scouting, rather than simply walking in and out of a buck bedding area and letting the buck come back later and pattern my scent trail, I will sometimes walk a grid around the area on purpose to confuse the buck as to my entrance / exit and stand position(s).
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 am

I can throw a long ways..(QB). I've tried throwing rocks from 60-70 yards away into a small bedding area in attempt to get the buck to stand up to get a visual if he's there. I wore gloves to not leave scent. Both times I tried this the buck that stood was not the one I was hunting and it layed back down after a few minutes.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:04 am

BigHunt wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:Whats your craziest scouting tactic that you have ever used when it came to finding or locateing a buck? Im looking for some outside the box thinking. For example, I am waiting for a good rain around midnight to go check a bed and see if a buck is still using it. THis way my scent will be washed away with the rain and my chances of bumping him could be slim. What odd tactics have you used?

wow thats a good idea......but what if its a night time bed and you kicked the buck out???

The particular bed I am thinking of is a daytime bed that I have bumped a buck out of during the day b4, but if it was a nightime bed it would be no big deal to me because im not going to hunt him there anyways.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:05 am

I like the tactics posted so far. They have my gears turning!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:27 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I can throw a long ways..(QB). I've tried throwing rocks from 60-70 yards away into a small bedding area in attempt to get the buck to stand up to get a visual if he's there. I wore gloves to not leave scent. Both times I tried this the buck that stood was not the one I was hunting and it layed back down after a few minutes.

That's a great idea. Never thought of it!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:33 am

I pretend i am talking on my phone and hide my binos on the roadside to keep others from knowing that i am glassing...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 am

I must be crazy because I have done most of these at some point! :shock: :lol:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

I almost quit my job to take a position as a utility pole (power pole) inspector. Cause I knew it would get me onto any and all land across Minnesota. What better way to spot big bucks.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I can throw a long ways..(QB). I've tried throwing rocks from 60-70 yards away into a small bedding area in attempt to get the buck to stand up to get a visual if he's there. I wore gloves to not leave scent. Both times I tried this the buck that stood was not the one I was hunting and it layed back down after a few minutes.

I like this one!!!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 am

Cameron Hanes did that last year on an elk hunt and shot the bull when he stood up.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 am

we have used slingshots and small stones to get bucks up so we could get a look at them... junior bucks mostly.

when I was a young hunter (not THAT long ago!) I would walk swamp transition lines and it wouldn't be long before a yearling spike, forker or six would jump up and run away. They'd normally return in short order, but I'd pay close attention to their bed. The next day or soon thereafter I would sneak in as close as I could get and pelt the bed with small rocks... it would take two or three to get the buck up usually, and he would make a few quick hops before stopping to try and figure out which direction he needed to go... at which point I would throw a couple more stones at him while he fled... managed to bounce a rock off a spikehorn on one of the attempts... no idea why I found that something interesting to do (the season wasn't open at the time, though).
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 am

Singing Bridge wrote:we have used slingshots..
Slingshot is a very good idea...I cant throw any more... :cry:

when I was a young hunter (not THAT long ago!)

Thats good stuff right there, lol!!! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”