your Craziest scouting tactic?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jman22
500 Club

Re: your Craziest scouting tactic?

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:29 pm

I have a small farm property that I can hunt behind my father's house. I've been developing a new scouting technique on hot summer nights. I call it S.F.P. -- short for " Scouting From Pool". I've found that the bucks are least threatened when I'm in any float that is pink or purple in color.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:05 pm

I hunt a reservoir which lowers its water level by 25 feet in the winter time. I tend to walk or ride my bicycle in the sand and I look for bucks' tracks that J hook into the bedding near the water level. It helps me easily figure out buck bedding.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Corsair7

Unread postby Corsair7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Do you think popping smoke would be helpful for the bucks watching you're access points? Or even popping smoke to put the sneak on a deer to get closer. I have no clue in the legality of it but I bet if you wanted a buck to relocate you could pop smoke in or near his bed. Wonder what their reaction would be. :think:
boomah21

Unread postby boomah21 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Take time to talk to any mailman/ups and especially school bus drivers and ask if they have seen any deer/bucks.

School bus drivers are the best because of the time they are driving around.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Swampthing wrote:I hunt away from home but some of my family lives where i hunt. So i bought my nephew a digital camera for his birthday. He does a lot of horseback riding so I told him to promise to bring it with him and take pictures of all the big bucks he spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Horseback riding is a good one. Not zero impact but low. I have busted bucks out of bed a few days before season. They hop up. But on horseback they just don't turn inside out. I do scout a lot on horseback and have gotten pretty close to deer. When I was a kid I got mixed up in a thicket with a few deer and had one brush my leg.
Last edited by Scratchman on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:More of a hunting than scouting tactic. But occasionally on a weekend the wife tells me no hunting tomorrow. When 4 a.m rolls around I just can't help it and sneak out for just the first couple hours. I then hurry back and pick up donuts on the way. When she asked were the heck I went I say I got up a lil early to get you guys donuts! Hasn't failed me yet.

Better be Boston cream.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”