Primary Beds v/s Secondary Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Primary Beds v/s Secondary Beds

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 pm

When post season scouting, how do you determine a primary buck bed from a secondary buck bed.

Also, could you guys explain the difference between the two?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Primary Beds v/s Secondary Beds

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:27 pm

backstraps wrote:When post season scouting, how do you determine a primary buck bed from a secondary buck bed.

Also, could you guys explain the difference between the two?

glad to give you my subjective interpretation- i expect a number of different views from members on this, take from it what works for your situation and plug it in...

what i call a primary bed is one that is used most of the year and offers the buck protection in multiple wind directions and weather conditions. if a buck in a primary bed is taken, another will move in before the next season most of the time. primary beds are very secure to the ambush of predators of all types.

a secondary buck bed to me is also very valuable, but may not offer the security in every wind direction (they may be specific wind direction beds, for example). secondary beds may also be seasonal, in my view. this may be due to the brief appearance of a food source that wasn't available before and the bed in question then becomes active. another secondary bed for me is when transient bucks move into my swamps, normally around halloween. the loss of leaf cover in the uplands, along with bow hunting pressure in the more open areas, will often have bucks move into my swamps that until then were not in the area. these beds now become active, and were discovered in my post season scouting as well. meanwhile, there are primary beds in my swamps that have been occupied by "local" bucks for most of the year.

these are a few examples of what I find, hope that helps a bit.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:57 pm

thanks Singing Bridge

The secondary beds, will they be found using the same type wind and thermal protections
as primary beds? ex; if there are down closer to field food sources, this may put the beds
outside the wind tunnel.

Also, when a bucks in an area is using secondary beds, during food source months... by the time
the deer transition from food to rut, when should a hunter expect the buck to use primary bedding
more often than secondary?

Thanks again
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 am

backstraps wrote:thanks Singing Bridge

The secondary beds, will they be found using the same type wind and thermal protections
as primary beds? ex; if there are down closer to field food sources, this may put the beds
outside the wind tunnel.

Also, when a bucks in an area is using secondary beds, during food source months... by the time
the deer transition from food to rut, when should a hunter expect the buck to use primary bedding
more often than secondary?

Thanks again

first part: Yes, they will often use the same type of advantage in hill country as you will find with primary beds- thermal advantages and terrain advantages, etc. Down closer to food sources they may not have a "thermal tunnel", for example, but will still bed in an advantageous position. They may bed with a barrier on the downwind side such as water or impassable muck. Another example in this area would be bedding on the downwind edge of a very dense thicket, using the wind to protect their back while watching downwind... they will definitely bed with some type of advantage.

If the beds in question are very close to a major food source it will be important to make sure they are indeed "daytime" beds- not beds used during nighttime travels.

second part: Whether it is a "Primary" or "secondary" bed, the key is to know when the buck is using it... we figure this out through scouting, getting a visual or trailcam shot, interpreting buck sign or the like, or knowing when and why the bucks used the bed from a previous season's experience with the area. Nothing is set in stone, we have to add up the puzzle pieces and take our best shot at timing.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I am still wondering though, is a primary bed, a bed a particular buck returns to over and over when the conditions are right, and most likely used during the prevailing wind? Giving him the opportunity to take up residence in that particular spot more often than not?

A secondary bed could be a bed used in an "out of normal" wind, such as a wind opposite of prevailing?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 am

backstraps wrote:I am still wondering though, is a primary bed, a bed a particular buck returns to over and over when the conditions are right, and most likely used during the prevailing wind? Giving him the opportunity to take up residence in that particular spot more often than not?

A secondary bed could be a bed used in an "out of normal" wind, such as a wind opposite of prevailing?

I think that's a pretty decent interpretation, backstraps... primary beds get used a lot. Some "primary" beds offer such heavy and secure cover that the target buck is able to bed there in numerous wind directions, too.

What I call a primary bed may not be exactly what someone else considers it- adapt your hunting situation to where a buck is spending most of his time, and I'm sure success will follow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”