bumping bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

bumping bucks

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 am

I am curious....if you bump a buck going into your stand site for an afternoon sit....where do you imagine he goes.

Not in the case you bump him while he is bedding....but rather he is on his feet and mature. Do you think he vacates the territory ? Just curious what some of your thoughts would be.

A buddy walked right up on a 4-5 year old last year at 1300 going to sit an evening stand. He said the buck bolted and ran out of his sight. He never had a chance to draw on him......

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: bumping bucks

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am

I bumped a 6.5 year old bedded buck very early November a few years ago. I killed the buck later in the season 1/4-3/8 mile away.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

i think they may leave the area but over time will come right back. i set out one december to purposely bump some bucks and track them in the snow to see just where they would go. day one i bumped a nice 140 class 10 pointer out of his bed and he ran across a big CRP into a tamarack marsh. i gave him about 2 hours before i started tracking. he did about a 1.5 mile loop without ever bedding and finally bedded 50 yards away from his first bed, down wind. day two i jumped afew before i got on a nice tall 8 point, he ran right into the same tamarack marsh but bedding just inside watching his back trail. i jumped him 3 more times before he was heading right back where he came from too. IMO they all will return to the same area pushed or not.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

It would seem unusual to me if the buck vacated the territory, most of the time.

There are always exceptions, I have had a mature wilderness buck appear headed for the next county after I bumped into him... I mean I have NEVER seen a buck that appeared like he was vacating the region like that one.

But for the most part, I agree with the others.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Last December I took a manager that works for me out to sit in one of my stands. I had tagged out early November but he never shot a deer with the bow so I told him to come out and hunt. He was there right away. Walked out to the stand and we got about 40 yards from my stand and he said STOP!!! He looks at me and says look at that buck, I'm looking and I look by my stand and there stands a big 10 point mid 150's stairing at us. I knew who he was, but never saw him on stand. I put the binocs on him and we had a stand off. It took about a minute for the deer to turn slowly around, flicker his tail and walk back into the thicket. That buck never did walk out that night from the thicket but never ran out like a bat out of either. He is still there this year and coming along very nicely.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 am

AH MAN rutnbuck.... The heck with binos...I would have ranged him and sent a broadhead express mail to the boiler room!!!

:) :) :)
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 am

I couldn't since I tagged out, didn't have the bow but my manager he was in awe. The buck was facing us and it is pretty thick to send the arrow through. But this year is another year and maybe, just maybe the boiler room may have my name on it. :D
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 pm

rutnbuck wrote:I couldn't since I tagged out, didn't have the bow but my manager he was in awe. The buck was facing us and it is pretty thick to send the arrow through. But this year is another year and maybe, just maybe [glow=red]the boiler room may have my name on it[/glow]. :D

Thats what I am talking about. 150ish last year, he should be a hoss this year!
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 am

My brother was walking to eveing stand around 1pm and had a double drop time prolly in the 190's moving through the woods (must of been checkin scrapes) deer seen him and headed back toward the thick where he came from. Fast forward to opening gun this year a guy hunting neighboring property shoots him with a 410 :doh: never found him. My brother looked for that buck all week with no avail :cry:
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:41 am

I was walking through some thick stuff on the way to a high spot in the marst. (all canary grass and dead trees). I busted soemthing that sounded pretty big. the bedded deer was about 20 yards from this island I was headed towards. I set up and about and about hour later I believe that same deer came back. he was either dandy 2 1/2 or smaller 3 1/2 year old. I really think he just left and circled back around to come back to the bed. who knows though, it could have been a different deer but at 2 pm, I didn't think it would be.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 am

Where I hunt, its very hard to push a buck from his core permanently...or form where he wants to be right now due to does, food, water, ect...

BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”