Boone and Crockett scorers fired !

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Boone and Crockett scorers fired !

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 am

The only scoring system I would support is weight.

Weigh the skull cap and then tell me where the biggest sets of horns lie in a record book.

Deductions in general are madness... why would ..... how can you take away what the animal actually grew?

You can't kill em on the couch
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Two years ago a buddy of mine took a 12pt he shot bowhunting to the deer and turkey expo to get scored and entered into the book.It was a 12 with 8 on one side and 4 on the other. It appeared to gross way over 150 so he takes it there and they score it typical. It was probably correct as we arent familar what makes it typical or non typical.After deductions it ends up net scoreing just over 125 typical making it into the books.He pays his 40 to 50 dollars and they tell him to expect his certifacate in about a week.Three days later a letter comes from the club and its a refund check and a letter stateing the scorer made some kind of error in adding or scoreing and it now falls just short of making the book.All that left a bad taste for the club but not because his buck didnt make the book .But because who the heck can even begin to figure out the darn scoreing system if their scorers cant get it correct.
How many bucks have you scored using the P&Y and B&C system? Let me tell you It's very easy to make a mistake when adding/subtracting all of those numbers. I've screwed up before, official P&Y and B&C scorers screw up too. It's human and happens.

I've had one buck make P&Y, my brother 3 of them, my dad 3 of them as well. Every time the scoring was complete on the bucks I just listed the official scorer asked us to look over his adding/subtracting. Never have we found a problem but I can see It easily happening. When they get sent to the club they all get looked at there again.

My dad shot a Canada Moose In the Boundary Waters In 1987 with his Longbow. After the drying period he had It scored. It became the Mn State record by a long shot. It ranked 15th In the world at the time. He was asked by the P&Y club If he would be Interested In taking It to the P&Y Convention the following year In Seattle, Washington. He said you bet, It would be quite the honor In doing so. A year later we all went to the convention. The P&Y club had a semi truck and trailer swing by and we loaded the shoulder mounted moose In to the trailer. They paid for the trip of the moose. Anyhow they had to score It again as every animal that gets Invited there and goes get's scored. They ran Into an Issue on the right side of the moose's antlers. They had to get a panel together and make a decision on how to score It. The old score got over turned and dad lost 13 Inches on his moose. Big deal he said, he didn't care. The Moose was still the Mn state record but did drop some In the world rankings. When a scoring system Is based on symmetry stuff like this happens. It's about the only way one can differentiate the difference between a NT and Typical.

A few years ago dads moose got beat here In Minnesota. If his old score would've held up he'd still have the state record. I asked dad his thoughts- he said who cares. The other guy shot a bigger moose. Congratulation's to him! I couldn't agree more with my dad on his thoughts.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Schultzy wrote:
goldtip5575 wrote:Two years ago a buddy of mine took a 12pt he shot bowhunting to the deer and turkey expo to get scored and entered into the book.It was a 12 with 8 on one side and 4 on the other. It appeared to gross way over 150 so he takes it there and they score it typical. It was probably correct as we arent familar what makes it typical or non typical.After deductions it ends up net scoreing just over 125 typical making it into the books.He pays his 40 to 50 dollars and they tell him to expect his certifacate in about a week.Three days later a letter comes from the club and its a refund check and a letter stateing the scorer made some kind of error in adding or scoreing and it now falls just short of making the book.All that left a bad taste for the club but not because his buck didnt make the book .But because who the heck can even begin to figure out the darn scoreing system if their scorers cant get it correct.
How many bucks have you scored using the P&Y and B&C system? Let me tell you It's very easy to make a mistake when adding/subtracting all of those numbers. I've screwed up before, official P&Y and B&C scorers screw up too. It's human and happens.

I've had one buck make P&Y, my brother 3 of them, my dad 3 of them as well. Every time the scoring was complete on the bucks I just listed the official scorer asked us to look over his adding/subtracting. Never have we found a problem but I can see It easily happening. When they get sent to the club they all get looked at there again.

My dad shot a Canada Moose In the Boundary Waters In 1987 with his Longbow. After the drying period he had It scored. It became the Mn State record by a long shot. It ranked 15th In the world at the time. He was asked by the P&Y club If he would be Interested In taking It to the P&Y Convention the following year In Seattle, Washington. He said you bet, It would be quite the honor In doing so. A year later we all went to the convention. The P&Y club had a semi truck and trailer swing by and we loaded the shoulder mounted moose In to the trailer. They paid for the trip of the moose. Anyhow they had to score It again as every animal that gets Invited there and goes get's scored. They ran Into an Issue on the right side of the moose's antlers. They had to get a panel together and make a decision on how to score It. The old score got over turned and dad lost 13 Inches on his moose. Big deal he said, he didn't care. The Moose was still the Mn state record but did drop some In the world rankings. When a scoring system Is based on symmetry stuff like this happens. It's about the only way one can differentiate the difference between a NT and Typical.

A few years ago dads moose got beat here In Minnesota. If his old score would've held up he'd still have the state record. I asked dad his thoughts- he said who cares. The other guy shot a bigger moose. Congratulation's to him! I couldn't agree more with my dad on his thoughts.

Well said :clap: Score is just a number, I have a 145" on the wall (by biggest) and to me he is the biggest buck that ever walked this world as far as I care, I think about him every single day and the score never is brought up, I bet your dad feels the same about his moose.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

So they ran into a problem with the 1st time they scored your dads moose??????Really a new state record and its not correctly scored the first time WOW.So your saying the King buck should be deserving of a second look by a panel then if they can look and subtract scores.Why wouldnt they look and find a mistake that adds score.Iguess thats all that matters is that your dad really didnt care about its score in the end.You ever feel they may have been so generous just so they could get a second look at his moose at that show?What if he would have denied them a second chance to score?Could they demand to see it again or null it from the record books???
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:So they ran into a problem with the 1st time they scored your dads moose??????Really a new state record and its not correctly scored the first time WOW.So your saying the King buck should be deserving of a second look by a panel then if they can look and subtract scores.Why wouldnt they look and find a mistake that adds score.Iguess thats all that matters is that your dad really didnt care about its score in the end.You ever feel they may have been so generous just so they could get a second look at his moose at that show?What if he would have denied them a second chance to score?Could they demand to see it again or null it from the record books???

That's a good point. They admitted a mistake and lowered the score, why not panel score rhe King buck? Doesn't really matter to me either way, but the way the whole process went down stinks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm

So i wonder if its a buckmasters world record.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:So i wonder if its a buckmasters world record.

I don't think so, it would probably make the top 5 though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:So they ran into a problem with the 1st time they scored your dads moose??????Really a new state record and its not correctly scored the first time WOW.So your saying the King buck should be deserving of a second look by a panel then if they can look and subtract scores. Why wouldn't they look and find a mistake that adds score. I guess that's all that matters is that your dad really didn't care about its score in the end.You ever feel they may have been so generous just so they could get a second look at his moose at that show? What if he would have denied them a second chance to score? Could they demand to see it again or null it from the record books???
I have no comment on the King buck. I was just saying people can screw up some or something as simple as adding or subtracting when you have all of these numbers on the score sheet. Trust me, there's a pile of them.

Not In the least was there generosity. In each recording period of the P&Y club they Invite the top 5 animals In each category and Invite them to the convention. The guy who scored my dads moose the 1st time scored It the way he thought It should have been scored. No other P&Y scorer scored my dads moose but him until the convention. When It went to the convention a few agreed and a few disagreed with how It got scored so a panel voted on It. Sure my dad cared some about the score but It wasn't the end of the world. In the end not to many people In this world have shot a mid 170's Canada moose with a longbow at 15 yards. That right there was something to hang his hat on.

My guess Is that In these days and times with people cheating and gluing 2 different skull plates together making a rack that never existed there's panels for every potential record animal as there probably should be.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 pm

The King buck is gonna be panel scored by B&C!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 pm

This should end up being very interesting. Story here;
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/deer- ... -whitetail
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”