buck bed cam pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: buck bed cam pictures

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 am

Klemz, that's all the pictures that had deer in them. I noticed I didn't get a single deer picture til July 6th. Maybe has something to do with lack of rain and my scent?

Scent would be my guess on those beds.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 am

Set the cam up over a different bed today. Busted one out about twenty yards from the bed, wide but short tines. Bed looked great, rubs in the bed, wore to the dirt, some hairs. Going to try to force myself to wait until after gun season to check.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:09 pm

My cousin or uncle got a better picture of the buck. Also, I just realized there were five more pictures in the album that weren't posted on the first page.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:12 pm

JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 am

Do you have photos of them bedding?

Day?

Night?
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 am

dan wrote:I would like to say that I really appreciate input and pictures like these... Its kind of like our own little studies.
What I learned from these pictures:
From the pictures I can see the beds. With that amount of wear, I would have assumed day beds of satellite bucks and would of likely figured a primary bed at the tip of that point into the field. But, with rubs, tracks, and camera pic's from in the field, I may have hunted that spot assuming daytime bedding...
The more we get pictures and intel about what goes on in these bedding areas, the better we will get as hunters.
Its important not to shut our minds down and just say we failed to get daytime bed pictures... Look at the big picture and learn from what the pictures we did get provide.

I believe everyone appreciates good informative input, documenting pictures is even better. That is why the Beast is considered the the Webster of hunting sites.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:06 am

KLEMZ wrote:Hey mike-mc, did you include all the pix on the camera in this post or just a sampling of them?

July 9th is the first picture posted, it took two weeks for them to use the bed after you set the cam. After that they used it pretty regular.

Did you look back at wind directions on the daylight pics to see if there is a pattern?

I know there are not any bedded bucks on the daylight photos, but with the camera set for one pic and five minute delay I would think it could have missed them. Almost every bedded night pic was actually triggered because a second deer was moving near the bedded deer.

If these are only night beds that is very intruiging. The plot watcher time lapse cameras would not have detected this because they dont work at night.

From my experiences this would be typical 7-10 days for mature bucks to show up after camera deployment. I agree on the plot watcher cameras not collecting data at night. My plot watcher camera is a couple of years old, the newer ones are better and last longer battery wise. Not sure if you can set them up for 24 hrs or not. Some of the newer cameras have the plot watcher option.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 am

This is a photo of the beds the cam was over, the cam was in the straight cherry in the center. I think the reason the bed there is because of the drop off seen in this photo, and these beds are on the highest spot along that drop off.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:57 am

7/31 I set the camera over a different bed. I jumped a buck that was bedded 15-20 yards from the bed I set the camera up. Aerial of where it was.

This is how it was set up when I left.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:59 am

Then something knocked it out of place. You can see the worn bed in this photo and rubs around the bed.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:02 am

And it got knocked even further down.

This is the buck I kicked from his bed when I set up the cam. Bigger than I had thought.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:13 am

September 8th it was raining at night, so I thought it would be a good time to make sure the camera was still setup correctly. I pointed it back at the bed. The ir filter got stuck after this.
The buck again.

There were more beds 15 yards to the south of the one the cam was setup over, and the one 15 yards to the north. I think this buck was moving between the beds. I was hunting an observation stand overlooking the cornfield edge to the south seen in the aerial. First a 2 year old buck came out, 15 minutes later the big one came out. I got busted playing with my camera and binocs from over 100 yards away.
Last edited by mike_mc on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:26 am

Photo I took September 30. October 2 I hunted out of a small box elder that is just to the left of the photo. The wind shifted and blew into the bedding and heard a deer run off. Close to last light, the big one came in, must of been bedded on the east end of the patch, I didn't make a good shot though. I pulled the cam while looking for him the next day.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 am

Interesting thanks for sharing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 pm

:clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”